Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

OoM errors and /3GB fix

Anything's worth a try at this stage! I'll keep you posted. :-)BTW Ghiom, this switch is not activate in safe mode, so if disaster does occur and you can't boot, start up in safe mode and remove the switch from the boot.ini file. Then boot as normal..Martin

... which sums lead to a figure of 2304. Well, I started off at 2560 and have gone down to 2112 before I got rid of the texture problems, so this is not looking hopeful for me!

What I really don't understand is this: Why with a /3GB switch do textures stop loading correctly right from FS9 startup: when FS9 has only just started up there is usually at least 1GB of free physical RAM showing, so why am I getting these texture loading problems right from the outset, with so much physical RAM still available? Textures load up fine without the /3GB modification.M.

HiHas someone tried Useva=3008 or such high figures? And what are the results?Thanks very muchGhiom

Some have and had great results, others have had poor results. Each system differs.As a rule of thumb and as stated above start by using Phil Taylor's formula.Out of the 4GB the system needs 768MB, then the system also needs what ever video memory you have. The rest can go in the UseVa=

Just tried a flight with 3008 for UserVA since my Video is 320Mb.texture loading was a nightmare (worse than at 2560).At some point, since I had no VC texture and no ground texture, I did a scenery refresh and the sim froze...Now, I am flying without the patch and the un-patched FS9.exe.Seems like everything is back to normal, I mean to "before the patch".I didn't have much of OOM CTD anyway.Now the problems are still with stutters as my other post mentions... Gone when AITraffic density is set to 0.ThanksGhiom

I don't want to sound mean, but I'm sort of relieved Ghiom that I am not the only one who has found this patch a bit of a disaster (doubly annoying as it does stop my OoM crashes!!!).M.

Unless the UserVa setting is not correct for our systems...Can someone with XP SP2, FS9.1, 320Mb Videocard and 2Gb RAM advise whether he found a "good" userva setting?ThanksGhiom

Anyone on that?The settings to enable the patch to be applied without creating texture display issues...Thanksghioom

HiStill no feedback on this matter?I am still searching for a guru to confirm what would be the theoretical ideal setting...Thank youGhiom

One more thing.What happens exactly:during approach, after a long flight, I have stutters, very strong ones and I notice like martinlest that the textures take now longer to load. The stutters actually happen when for example i have a cloud layer refresh or something and the new clouds need to be drawn.Once landed and takied to gate, I notice that the AI traffic airplanes' texture load much more slowly....So my guess is that at some point, once the RAM is exhausted, FS9 uses the page file (set at 4092 Min 4092 Max for system cache) only though the longer time loading and the access to the hard drive.Has someone else noticed the same?If not, why I am the only one?Can you guys with the 3Gb switch give your feedback?Thank you very much.Ghiom

Hey guys, your best bet is trial and error. Try some different settings in your "Userva=2560" settings in 64MB segments.It's the ONLY way to find what is right for your computer.Using Phil's formula your have 4096 - 768 (for system) and - (your video card ram) = (your Userva=)For example, using my own system.....4096 - 768 - 640 = 2688Userva=2688I used that as my base for tweaking, and decided on a lower 2624 (2688 - 64).