Sign in to follow this  
Guest robystar

Afcad for formation flying

Guest robystar

Hi all,I was wondering whether there is a solution to the following:Because it is a nice sight to see two jet fighters start one next to the other I modified the AFCAD of an airport in the Middle East in such a way that two planes could taxi and roll to their take off on the runway at the same time and next to eachother. To do that I had to create a second airport close to the original one with its own taxiway. I broadened the runway in the original airport and made an invisible one for the second airport (1ft wide). However, the taxiways of the second airport do have to be visible.Now what happens is that where the 40ft wide visbile taxiway turns into a 1ft wide invisible runway, AFCAD draws some funny triangles that overlap the runway structure of the runway of the original airport.Any solutions?Robyhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187821.jpg

In "regular" afcads, that problem is usually caused by the last node point not being placed exactly at right angles to the runway.Have you tried fiddling around with the nodes in that area? It would appear from the screenshot that the taxiway is not at a right angle to the runway.Since you are using two afcads that may not work but perhaps is worth a try.

Guest robystar

Thanks but no use.If you make the taxiway perpendicular to the runway, AFCAD even shows more aberration. Also when only one airport is present. It is the change from 40ft wide to 1ft wide that gives the problem. Roby

Try making your taxiways using the apron polygon - they won't look exactly like the normal taxiways (lines and light potential) but then you can use the invisible taxiway over them to avoid the spike transition.It is a compromise but much of what we do in FS is a form of compromise one way or the other.

Guest robystar

Mornin',And thank you again. That did the trick although without the lines.Roby

Guest chris.eve

How about ... a "dummy" AFCAD with all the taxiways, runways, aprons etc. correctly drawn, and the active AFCADs having taxiways and runways of "UNKNOWN" property, which makes them transparent ;-)

Guest robystar

Hi and thanks for the interest.Unknown surface makes it still visible as far as I know. And this dummy airport is in fact what I made.I also noted that the aircraft, even though they take off close enough one to the other, they do not exactly follow the same flight path. For instance, one takes off steeper and faster than the other and only after a while they start adjusting to the real flightplan. I also noted that one of them always tries to not get too close to the other going left or right or higher or lower than the other one as soon as it gets to a critical distance. Would that be a matter of something to do with the parking radius of the aircraft itself?I never had these problems in FS8 and I have seen screenshots of 4 or 5 aircraft together. Don't remember if it was Fsgateway but at least Graham S and Malloy and others were into it. Unfortunately, FSgateway changed into Flightsimmer.com and hardly anyone is visiting their site. Guess they had the same problems as I did to find them back.I am not advertizing for their site but they used to have a nice site at the time.Anyway, forget what I said, it is that I am still interested in having a "flock" of fighters going somewhere, like you see when the Red Arrows perform their show. I know that it based on a different idea but none the less with AI planes it would be more challenging.Roby

Guest robystar

Hi,Isn't there anybody else who is interested in flying alongside a couple of fighters in close formation?And now, it is about time I started on preparing the spaghetti Bolognese with lots of garlic.Roby

Sorry- don't know why the double post- quite sure I hit post message only once. AR

Guest robystar

Hi Alex,The onions are ready, so I have time to answer.I guess it is the same idea that you are using, even if I am not on multiple monitors. But do they stay close together during the whole flight? Is perhaps ATC telling them to stay further out? The mysteries of the AI engine are difficult to fathom! That is why I am interested!What is your experience?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187915.jpgRoby

Roby- Yes they remain in very close formation in all aspects of flight! The secret however, is that there is only one aircraft- the views are simply different Spot Views (S key) of the same aircraft- showing different perspectives on the 3 monitors! The effect, however is very much as though there are separate planes- each seems to move about somewhat independently.Tightness of formation is set with Zoom- specific view set via num KB.But no- I'm not using AI.Alex Reid