Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rockcliffe

Thanks Holger Sandmann for the great mesh

I have been waiting quite a few years to get some decent mesh for British Columbia. And the mesh made by Holger is excellent, really gives you a great feel of the terrain around these parts. I have travelled the back country alot over the years, and to fly it with fs and have the terrain so accurate just simply puts a :-) on my face.One fun trip is to fly west out of CYPK (Pitt Meodows) and follow along the mountains that are towards the north. Turn north up Howe Sound and touch and go at CYSE (Squamish) Fly north through Whistler and make another touch and go at CYPS (Pemperton) follow the road out of Pemperton that heads easterly as you turn through the valley towards the SE at the beginning of a large lake (Lillooet lake) the road forks, follow the road (Duffy Lake Road)that heads east up the mountain side and through the Stein Valley, follow the road through the steep valley and as you approach Lillooet you will fly through a gorge, make a full stop landing and CAR3 (Lillooet) You will need the rest :-) Fly out of Lillooet towards the SE through the Faser Canyon, The next stop is CYLY (Lytton) which has an interstesting approach coming from this direction (you should see this airport for real) Next fly SE through the Fraser Canyon and Hells Gate (the Fraser river is missing through here :-( )and make a touch and go at CYHE (Hope)-where First Blood was filmed. Follow the Fraser river back to CYPK and stop by my place for a beer.Remember to fly Low and Slow and dont forget Holger Sandmann's meshit just isn't the same with out it. If you really want a challenge fly it with real weather.Thanks again HolgerFloyd

Hey Floyd,thanks for the scenic tips! I took the "quick ride" in an F/A-18 - breathtaking! Think I have to travel to the place some time.

Guest Lindy

I have his Alaska/BC mesh files as well as a few of his independent BC mesh files. I've been using and am very happy with Ed Denney's Alaska mesh.Can anyone tell me if it's possible to just install Holger's BC mesh files and which ones they are.-Lindy :-wave

Guest RSmith

Floyd,Spend about 50% of my flying time on the routes you so well described ! I have a new system being built, finished yesterday, should ship today. Have had to hold off on mesh, from any source, due to system speed, but can't wait to load it in, especially for this area ! Plan to add mesh for entire US, Canada, & Alaska...... plus B.C. !While helping a beta crew "tweak" a recently released FS add-on, I used these airports, along with Vancouver Intl., to do my testing. Adding real weather into the picture, often these approaches are just outright scarey ! Descending through the soup - and then, still at 6,000 + agl, you start seeing ground texture below your wing on approach..... mountain peaks !!! .... do it right, or else !!I fly these routes with the King Air. The flight plan "Teaches" speed control - very well !! Get slow early - or you will need a drag chute when your wheels touch !!!Ron

Lindy, the BC files are described individually and you should be able to only install BC7d and BC9 which give you 49-51 degrees N (BC7d) and more detail for the Vancouver area (BC9).I used to live in Vancouver and have flown the Pitt Meadows to Victoria trip in a Cessna 172.. this is like magic!! It looks just like the real thing!

Bert

It sure is beautiful scenery. Since I live in Vancouver I can say that it

I5 13600KF 5.1GHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12G| | MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 WiFi MB | M.2 NVMe SSD"s 2X1TB/2X2TB / HDD's 3X4TB and 1X8TB | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 64 Pro 

All I can say is Wow! I grew up in the shadow of the Golden Ears near Maple Ridge. This is the first mesh that clearly shows both peaks in a realistic way. The Lions on the north shore are also sharply defined. Thanks Holger, this is great!

Mnt. Garibaldi too is much improved although there is alot more room for improvment yet.The area around Stave lake is great except it would be nice to get the lake at the right elevation, Its at the same level as the Fraser and is missing the ruskin and stave dam elevations but I,m not complaining:-)This is greatFloyd

Guest Rockcliffe

Tremendous addition, Holger. I went back and loaded the LD07 mesh as well. Then to celebrate, I went out and bought the Vancouver VNC.B.C., I'm convinced, is the finest place to fly. I think I'll change my default startup from CYOW to CYYJ.ThanksBlairCYOW

Hi everyone:wow, thanks so much for all the kind words! I'm glad that everyone seems to enjoy the terrain enhancements. For my part, I have pretty much stopped flying anywhere else ;-)The problems that remain with lake elevations and shoreline or road placements are too bad but can't be changed without some serious work (I assume that everyone knows about my patch package that removes the most offensive elevation problems - bcmeshp1.zip). Unfortunately, the new Shuttle Radar data, which will provide seamless coverage of BC at ~90m resolution, will only increase the problems with the default lakes and shorelines. Hopefully, some future update of FS will provide a better dataset of hydrology and roads ...P.S.: Sorry about the lame response but I just discovered this thread; it's nice that the new forum server comes with a much faster search engine.Cheers, Holger