Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Activesky setting for hazy horizon

Guest Nealoc187

That's what I set mine to as well per JSkorna's recommendation a long time ago. It gets rid of the "cutoff" completely. It's sortof a bummer that we have to set it that low because up in the flight levels it makes things look really hazy (in real life good conditions you can easily see 150 miles or more altitude) but it's a small price to pay to get rid of the ugly cutoff.

Andy:Check out this thread, and then do a search here for a file called "Soft Horizon". I use it with ActiveSky and get exquisite results without having to compromise the visibility setting. (If you can't find SoftHorizons here, IM me with your email address and I'll send you the latest I have)<< http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...9&mesg_id=39891 >>

Guest Maxihard

The file name is "softhr07.zip" by John Cillis. Highly recommended

Thanks guysI have heard of "soft horizons",but i understood that it didn't work with Activesky because every time you loaded AS it would overwrite the SOFT Horizons textures(or something like that:) Anyway if it does work i will try it.cheers AndyPS i got so fed up with the horrible straight horizon,i would manipulate the plane in spot view so i could see no horizon at all.

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Andy:I think if you use ActiveSky Graphics, ASG overwrites SoftHr. I use Flight Environment Pro and Ground Environment Pro, so everytime I change those, I just copy the SH files back in. I've actually written a batch file to do that so one click and I've got Mr. Cillis' beautiful textures right back where there supposed to be.

>Andy:>>I think if you use ActiveSky Graphics, ASG overwrites SoftHr. >I use Flight Environment Pro and Ground Environment Pro, so>everytime I change those, I just copy the SH files back in. >I've actually written a batch file to do that so one click and>I've got Mr. Cillis' beautiful textures right back where there>supposed to be.Thanks ChuckI am not quite sure what you are saying.in your first post you say that you use SH with ASKY but in your last post you say it overwrites SH textures.What if i uncheck the option in ASKY to automatically load textures would that work(bloody #### confusing myself now:-) )CHEERS AndyPS i have downloaded and installed SH so I am keen to try it out.I have tried the visibility at 29miles option(in ASV) as recommended and it does work,but as described in another post it does make for limited visibility.Cheers AndyI may just try the default FS9 weather if necessary

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

I do have some examples in the link below of Soft Horizons with unlimited (150 mile) visibility. Please note my textures aren't a cure-all though, as you pan around the horizon towards the sun, the horizon line does get sharper although that's fairly typical in real life flying. I do have notes in my file on how to reduce that effect, but it comes at the expense of losing the corona around the sun or reducing it. I left mine alone.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...topic_id=271552Anyway I hope SH works for you, glad people are still enjoying it. I remember when I created those textures--I did it in a three hour marathon session and only released them as an afterthought. Never knew so many people felt as I did about the default sky.Regards,John

Enjoy them, John? I - can't - fly - without - them. Thanks again for posting them!Andy,ActiveSky Graphics (ASG) is the separate textures program that comes with AS. I'm not 100% sure about what overwrites what, but the very last thing I do just before I open FS9 (after I have loaded my [ground and cloud] textures from GEPro, FE, or whatever) is copy SoftHorizon's textures into the correct folder via a batch file, and everything looks gorgeous. Then I pick my plane, airport, etc., start that, and then open ActiveSky (with ASGraphics disabled) via FSWide and let AS6 generate the correct, dynamic weather, and it all comes together.Hope this helps. I actually have 10 or 11 shorcuts I double click on to load textures and addons, so if you're confused I don't blame you. It took me over a year and a half to arrive at my current Flight Sim configuration!

I agree with Chuck - can't fly without Soft Horizons and really miss the effect in FSX as you can see way to far in the distance in the upper flightlevels. If you're not already aware, if you use the FS9 default weather, you can customize the visibility by modifying the max_unlimited_vis= line in the FS9.cfg file and it works great with S.Horiz.'s The figure is calculated in meters. Drop it to approx. 59,000 for 30 mile vis.and feel free to play around with it. This figure will reset itself anytime you make other changes to the display settings, so you'll need to reset it before you fly.Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 174.74 beta Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

I use Activesky to create the weather and FE Environment to create the different textures. Is the outcome the same that I need to copy the Soft Horizons files each time to their right folder? Those pictures sure look good that you posted in the thread you linked to!Edited: Aah, Chuck B was also using FE Environment - I understand now!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest Maxihard

If you want John's textures along with a wx-influenced theme, all that need be done is to untick the sky textures in asg. You lose the variability that the skysets provide but gain a consistent and realistic horizon. You also might want to try unticking the haze layer in Active sky and setting the vis to 59.The display sliders under the weather tab in fs9 are maxed on my system and I couldn't be more pleased - Thanks John!

Hey John,Just wanted to say thanks for creating this great tweak for FS9. I've been using it for a long while and I couldn't fly FS without it :)Rob

Rob Prest