Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kevin_28

Dark Plane Textures

In reading through this interesting thread the common item I note is that those who are having the problem are using Vista as their OS.Since this problem apparently does not happen with those of us who are still using XP, (there would be numerous posts if there was a problem and I find none) - then it seems obvious it is really a Vista issue and that is where you should be looking for a solution.Tweaking FS2004 to try to fix the problem seems to me like putting the cart ahead of the horse.I do not have Vista so do not know specifically what might be changed in it (perhaps the DXT settings) so it might be useful to pose the basic question on the Hardware forum.Food for thought?

Guest Kevin_28

Well, I just wanted to know if anyone had fixed the problem. And since it happens with a variety of different hardware, is it really a hardware problem?

Guest Promagstyle

Yes it has to be a hardware problem

>Yes it has to be a hardware problemHow is it a hardware problem?This is happening to everyone with a Vista Os with everyone having different video cards from an 8800 to an integrated intel 945.

Just out of curiosity, does changing the "render to texture" option (in the FS2004 display dialogue if I remember correctly) have any affect on this problem?If not, I still believe there must some setting in Vista which will alter the way Vista in conjunction with whatever graphic card one may have handles the display of FS2004 graphics.It just does not seem reasonable to think one should have to tweak FS2004 aircraft which display properly under XP to make them work under Vista.Food for thought?

Guest Kevin_28

I tried the render to texture option, it still does it.I think it has to be vista too. I don't think there is anything I could change in FS9 to make it work. But, iono.

Guest Kevin_28

>hmmmm.... interesting, every change that I make in my display>settings in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: Century of Flight>makes my planes look brighter, but after ALT+TAB everything>goes back to the dim and dark textures.>>I even played around with the mip maps and linear and bilinear>and trilinear settings, they all have the same effect,>switches to bright planes and then back to the dark textures>after ALT+TAB.>>Does this happen to you too Kevin? The ALT+TABUmm, why are you using alt/tab? I know what you mean though. When I select my plane and try to change the display settings, it goes back to bright. But when I select fly now, it goes back to dark.

As I have stated before, I do not have Vista but have you explored the following ideas?1. Is there a "compatibility" option on your shortcut to start FS2004? If there is, how does running it in "as XP compatible" (or however it may be worded) work?2. Is the resolution settings which you use "outside" of FS (for everyday tasks) the same as the resolution settings you use for FS2004? What happens if they are exactly the same? (so nothing has to happen when you use FS)3. The other consistant thing I see in this thread is the mention of using Alt/Tab. Exactly why is this being used? In full screen mode the Alt tab alone on my setup brings up the menu bar at the top so I can change aircraft and views etc. Perhaps the use of the Tab key is problematic.On my system, Alt/Tab toggles between FS and any other program I have open outside of FS.I just thought the above suggestions might be worth exploring.

Guest jesse_skyunlimited

I just checked FS9 on my Vista laptop and it displayed correctly. My laptop has an ATI Radeon Express 200M graphics card. It is a decent laptop, but can only run FS9 on medium display settings.

Guest Kevin_28

1. Yes there is. It still doesn't work though.2. It is the same resolution3. I have no idea

since some hours now i dont have this problem anymore..I am playing with my performance settings and during modofications that i have done based on this: http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index...showtopic=28865 , i dont have the problem anymore.But i dont know which setting exactly done it .. :)I ll get back if i find whichElias

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Elias Stassinos - Author of PTTBuddy - Automatic volume control while you fly / play /stream
My FS Photos - My MSFS Settings - i7-8700K / 32GB RAM / Gigabyte 3070 8GB OC / 1440p