Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Totally diffrent type of aircraft

Hello everyone.Im looking at putting another aircraft in my hanger and have been looking at reviews and narrowed it down to 2. Im intterested in the PMDG 747 or the F1 ATR. Now I now there for diffrent uses but im just looking for a general concensus on these birds. I know the 747 is made for long hauls but I would just use it for short hops, Im just looking for realism int the aircraft, not so much realism on flight scheds so that not a big deal.What's putting me over to one side of the fence is the price diffrence. So I was just wondering what are the general thoughts on these birds.P.S I did use the search function but it never seems to pull anything up for me, it always says npo topic found, so I apoligize if(Im sure it has) it's been asked before.Thank you.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Both these aircraft are good and can both be used in shorthaul,although in real life,I don't believe the 747 is used much in short haul,unless you consider short legs in a charter operation.ThePMDG is a bit more pricey.Have you considered the Level D 767.It may be more in your price range and can be used in long and short haul.I have both the PMDG 747 and the Level D 767. I rarely fly long haul, as I find takeoffs and landings are my interest,but I will occasionally replicate a long haul flight for the sake of interest.Ron

Ron Service

Thanks for the reply.I have the LDS 767 already and that's another thing to consider, Am i gaining anything from purchasing the 747.I have one payware turboprop, the aeroworx but it cannot carry many passengers as I use fspassengers. I would like a dash 8 but cannot find one suitable so thats why ii considered the ATR, seems like the closest thing i can get to a dash 8.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

If you love the LDS you will love the Flight1 ATR. It is totally procedurally correct The wonderful, and unique, thing about this aircraft is that everything about the model has been validated and approved by Aerospatiale. You won't get stuck with empty claims about being 'tested by real world pilots', the ATR was tested and validated by the aircraft manufacturer themselves and is one of the few officially licenced aircraft available in the FS community. It has a nice learning curve to it and I think that you will absolutely enjoy it.

Thanks, Ya im sorta leaning towards the f1 atr. It looks like a really nice aircraft and much cheaper than the PMDG 747.Any other comments are welcomed as I have not purchased any yet.

Guest ThrottleUp

If you are after realism with a commuter/regional flavor then the F1 ATR is most excellent. As has been mentioned this addon has been produced with assistance from the manufacturers of the real plane so its about as accurate a depiction of a twin passenger propjet as you can get on a PC. The LOD is really good...they even have a flushing toilet!! :(Smashing panel with loads of repaints out there which are easily applied using a tool called Text O Matic.Lots more landings and takeoffs in the ATR than in the 744 as you will be flying the commuter routes.I do not have the PMDG 744 but have heard good things about it too. Incidentally 744s do fly short hops - in Japan. Their 747-400Ds (domestics) are like shuttles and if I remember right theres a hop that lasts 30 minutes. I do not know if PMDG includes a 400D though.

They seem to have more use for large aircraft in short haul applications in Japan.I heard they were getting an A380 in something like an 800 passenger version for short haul.I have'nt looked at the ATR from flight1. I heard it is somewhat tricky to fly in real life.Ron

Ron Service