Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nealoc187

I thought AI Smooth was supposed to actually do something...?

Guest Nealoc187

I don't understand what my AI Smooth is doing or why it isn't doing what it's supposed to.I set up my flight and fire up AI smooth and all that jazz, but I honestly can't tell any difference between having it running or not. I see the list of aircraft it's monitoring, the list of aircraft that are arriving at whichever airport, etc. It still doesn't stop runway incursions or even seem to diminish them, planes still taxi slower than a turtle with arthritis (and I don't find a setting to adjust taxi speed like I thought was supposed to be adjustable in AISmooth) etc?so what gives?

Quoting from the file description.....(AI Smooth) a Traffic manager, which reduces go-arounds at busy airports by sending approaching AI planes into holding patterns.end quote.Simply stated, AI Smooth is not intended to affect aircraft on the ground. The manual clearly explains what it does regarding AI aircraft in the air.To alter taxispeed on the ground you need FSConfiguator by Ken Salter or a similar utility.Take a look at fs9cfg16.zip here in the library.Hope this helps clear up the misunderstanding.

AISmooth works fine for me. It vectors other aircraft away for a bit so I can make an uninterrupted approach without somebody climbing on my back. I can definitely tell the difference at busy airports when I forget to start AISmooth before my flight because go-arounds are prevalent. However, it doesn't help when I forget and alt-tab out to start it when I'm already on approach. It has to be running for a while first, I think.By runway incursions I think that means other planes pulling into takeoff position during my approach - it never happens to me with or without AISmooth running as long as I contact tower for landing clearance. When they call for takeoff clearance, I clearly hear tower tell them to hold short because I am on final, sometimes even if I'm on downwind. This happened just tonight while I was testing a new airplane and I didn't have AISmooth running. AISmooth has nothing to do with that, it's built into FS9 ATC.

Follow Dave Opa's instructions. With the combination of AI Smooth and the fsconfig (setting the AI taxi speed higher) you will have next to no AI problems.It won't be perfect but I fly with 100% AI and don't have 5% of the problems I did with out it.

>I don't understand what my AI Smooth is doing or why it isn't>doing what it's supposed to.>>I set up my flight and fire up AI smooth and all that jazz,>but I honestly can't tell any difference between having it>running or not. I see the list of aircraft it's monitoring,>the list of aircraft that are arriving at whichever airport,>etc. It still doesn't stop runway incursions or even seem to>diminish them, planes still taxi slower than a turtle with>arthritis (and I don't find a setting to adjust taxi speed>like I thought was supposed to be adjustable in AISmooth)>etc?>>so what gives?HelloI agree with you.i used to use it but have not for a long time now as like you i felt it made no difference at all.I may give it another try as at the time i used it i didn't have my ai taxispeeds increased which i do now.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Make sure you have version 1.20 from:http://www.sg-flightware.de/Check out the manual .pdf and the the readme.txt for updates.In your file/settings for it you want to operate with Respond To User Aircraft enabled. This will offer air to air protection while you are in the area you defined in the other settings.Separate arriving aircraft a bit to reduce take-off queues during the "mad AI rush" when they all run to the threshold and shortly after when the AI bunch up and arrive all when you load a flight.Use Ken Salter's FS9 Configurator as suggested to speed up slightly aircraft taxiing off the runway.

>It still doesn't stop runway incursions or even seem to>diminish themAt many airports - runway incursions are purposely planned into the airport setup.If we did not make AFCAD files to have aircraft cross active runways without checking to see if the runway is clear - at some airports most to all the landing AI aircraft would disappear and never taxi to the gate.For the default FS setup to allow an aircraft to cross an active runway, there must be no AI or user aircraft waiting for takeoff, and there must be no AI aircraft on final approach within 7 miles of the airport.

Guest Nealoc187

>>It still doesn't stop runway incursions or even seem to>>diminish them>>At many airports - runway incursions are purposely planned>into the airport setup.>>If we did not make AFCAD files to have aircraft cross active>runways without checking to see if the runway is clear - at>some airports most to all the landing AI aircraft would>disappear and never taxi to the gate.>>For the default FS setup to allow an aircraft to cross an>active runway, there must be no AI or user aircraft waiting>for takeoff, and there must be no AI aircraft on final>approach within 7 miles of the airport.>>I have aircraft cross the runway when I am on short final every once in a while, but more often the situation is that they are cleared onto the runway in order to depart right as I am bearing down on them. It's bothersome but not the end of the world.It appears that I totally misunderstood the functionality of AIsmooth, I guess that's what I get for relying on forum posts to learn about it rather than reading the manual.