Sign in to follow this  
kerosene31

Wow! What a difference a fresh install makes!

Well, over the past few weeks my fs2004 install has been becoming more and more buggy, so I decided to just give up and reinstall completely. I just got back so far with a clean fs2004, the 9.1 patch and FSUIPC for my controllers... I forgot what a clean sim can do! The program loads up in seconds. I click "fly now!" and I actually am ready to fly in a few seconds! I'm just amazed at all the "stuff" I install over the base simulator. Mesh, Ultimate Terrain, Ground textures, water textures, ActiveSky textures, etc etc etc. That doesn't even touch add-on airports or aircraft. The sheer volume of it is amazing! I've moved all my important FS files to a 1TB external drive! How did we get here?!!Just thought I had to comment on how much "stuff" is really out there and how much hard work has gone into improving a sim most of us purchased quite a few years back now. Also, just how long it does take to reinstall everything from scratch! :(

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Yes, I know very well what you mean...At the moment my FS9 is over 26 GB with 150.000 files inside! And it used to be worse.As my system is rather old now, you could be surprised why the heck I add so many addons.I guess I've just never grown up. I simply can't resist it! Simming still gives me so much pleasure and excitement that I constantly need new planes to fly to new destinations.I also love realism so I upgrade the world outside (GEPro, UTE, AS, etc).The worst price I pay is that I get low frames and a lot of ground tex blurries (both are definitely influenced by using UTE, but I can't resist, looks so cool when it finally gets sharp!). Plus my sim loads a loooong time and I need to defrag from time to time to make it launch at all.I also love the smell of the fresh sim, but it won't last more than just a moment for me. I automatically start adding things. This task usually takes many days. :/Big crazy kids are we, aren't we?Best regards,Rafal

You guys always amaze me with the sheer size of your installs :) I guess I've never needed an reinstall because mine never passes 5GB! Even with my tiny install I've got more complex planes than I can fly and more sceneries installed than I can visit anytime soon!I've been VERY picky and usually test stuff on the laptop before deciding I really want it. Particularly very few .exe files get run on my main machine first (unless I can dummy install)- I want to know what's going where unless I absolutely trust the source. Seems to help avoid bugs I think.regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

I'm usually very careful installing myself, but after only having done this process a few times in the past 5 years or so things don't take long to get out of hand :)Actually I thought I traced the bug back to a particular aircraft, but then others started doing the same thing. I searched the forums but couldn't find anyone else who seemed to have it. It was time for a re-install anyway, my sim performance was steadily getting worse and worse no matter how many times I would defrag. Actually, as a programmer myself, I find it quite miraculous that all this stuff works together as well as it actually does!

Craig from KBUF

When I installed FS2004 I added AV,firewall etc all windows updates, FSUIPC, GEPro, Active Sky,etc etc etc all configured and ready to go.I only installed and configured software that I see as the 'base'. I then do a ghost image of this onto a separate HD.Whenever I feel FS is cluttered with too much junk I just copy the ghost image back and I have a brand new base with which I can start clogging up with junk again!Graham

>>Actually, as a programmer myself, oh, well far be it from me to give you advice - I have a clue about the back end but am mostly just a coward of a simmer :-lol >I find it quite miraculous>that all this stuff works together as well as it actually>does! TELL me about it! I always wonder myself, and always wonder if my newest complex payware toy is going to mess with LDS or PMDG or just plain crash it all :-lolregards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Good job. Now take it to the next level and realise how much stuff you actually DON'T need. You'll get your install down to 10% of the size you thought you couldn't live without - then you'll really see it fly !

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

>Good job. Now take it to the next level and realise how much>stuff you actually DON'T need. You'll get your install down to>10% of the size you thought you couldn't live without - then>you'll really see it fly ! Indeed... that's my plan, but ask in 6 months and see what happens! I am going to try to run with only the stuff I really use.

Craig from KBUF

Man, this feels like a weight-loss thread. I'm going to slink away in shame now with my 32 GB install...runs like a champ, though!:DJohn G.

John G.

Guest belga1

Hello,Ooops .. I'm suffering of overweight.. ....Too much Big Mac's between flights for sure :)90 GB .. running like a charm ... !Cheers for now.

Guest ThrottleUp

Haha yes it does not take long to clog up a clean install! I cannot even begin to imagine a reinstall and have not done so for years. I keep a constantly updated Acronis image of my entire FS9 installation.Currently my install is 94.7GB with 432 scenery areas and I've lost count of the planes I have although I did have a big purge and got rid of the ones I did not like!Yes my sim is slow to load and I have my share of CTDs etc but thankfully they are few and far between and I know the fixes for most of them. I have all the usual addons and I must agree with the ealier comment - Im also amazed that it all works so well together. I know its only when things fail that we get frustrated (CTDs, slow texture loads etc) but when its all running smooth we need to take a step back and think about all the mathematics going on to make this hobby possible - from the processor determining how much lift is on the outer part of your wing during a turn to the graphics card frantically drawing those fancy clouds you just downloaded...many times a second!!!!Right...I need those Posky ERJs...:(

Oh this is too funny! :-yellow1 Mine is bigger than yours na, na, na, na.Hope this screen capture comes out showing my grossly overweight size.109 gigs, and almost a million files. And that is not including the hundreds (700) planes that I have archived on another drive, zipped up with Addon Manager.Cheers fltsimguyBryan Wallis

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Bryan, a Guiness for you!Both the record and a bottle to celebrate it.Best regards,RafalP.S. And I thought I'm crazy...