Sign in to follow this  
Guest RichardGilbertSharpe

FS2004 Inflight Ground Texture Blurring & Distortion In...

Guest RichardGilbertSharpe

Hello Fellow Flight Simmers:I hope that someone/anyone out there can help me. I have been using Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century Of Flight for several years on a Hewlett-Packard PC running at 1.8 GHz with 512 MB SDRAM. One of the features that really annoys me is not being able to watch those wonderfully detailed ground textures move slowly by underneath as in real life and especially at angles off to the sides all around the aircraft farther away without them becoming blurry during a flight, especially during a high-altitude transcontinental airline flight. I recently purchased Flight One (Flight1) Software's Ultimate Traffic 2007 AI traffic scenery; Peter Wilding's Flight One (Flight1) Software Flight Environment; Peter Wilding, Anthony Vos & Carl Hackman's Flight One (Flight1) Software Ground Environment Professional II Scenery; and the three currently available Scenery Solutions Ultimate Terrain (UT) series sceneries. I would love to be able to view these clearly during high-altitude transcontinental airline flights as you would be able to in real life. On some days, the blurring seems to be worse. Frequently, the ground textures seem to blur even when flying "low and slow". The frequency of blurring also seems to depend on how often the inflight views (cockpit, virtual cockpit, spot plane, control tower) are changed. I know that computer specifications in general and also the FS2004 slider and hardware settings probably would be a factor in solving this problem, but aside from that is there any commercial software that I can buy or any freeware software that I can download online to eliminate blurred high-altitude or any altitude ground textures. I'm sure that I'm not the only virtual pilot that has an issue with this.There is an interesting new French company called France VFR FSAltitude located at http://www.fsaltitude.com which is in the process of creating global high-altitude photographic IFR Microsoft Flight Simulator X scenery continent by continent, but it is not compatible with FS2004. Check this website out. It's really cool! I have recently e-mailed them inquiring as to whether they are planning to release an FS2004-compatible version of this software. They replied back politely telling me that due to many customer inquiries regarding FS2004-compatibility, they will consider marketing an FS2004 release. However, that may or may not happen, so until I hear otherwise from them definitely, I am going to assume that an FS2004-compatible version won't be released. I would like to ask all of you FS2004 users who read this to e-mail France VFR FSAltitude at http://www.fsaltitude.com to offer support and encourage them to market an FS2004 version of this wonderful aforementioned FSX scenery. Tell them that global high-altitude photographic IFR scenery is something that you had always wished would have been marketed for FS2004. That's what I stated, and it seemed to have a positive effect. So, in the meantime, what can I do or download to eliminate the nasty blurring of ground textures, especially at high altitude? Please write soon. My e-mail address is richarpes@aol.com.Thank you very much and happy flying.Sinderely,Richard Sharpe

Guest chris.eve

"Hewlett-Packard PC running at 1.8 GHz with 512 MB SDRAM".. firstly I'd increase the RAM to 1Gb (if not 2). Also, with this spec of machine, I'd suspect your video card is fairly basic, by today's standards, and would look to replacing it. Then the usual recomendations ... defrag the hard drive, make sure there's nothing running in the background etc.

Hey Richard,As much as I would encourage further texture upgrades for FS9 in the future, I think the problem is your very low spec pc. I and many others run GEPRO and other texture sets on core duo and quad chips, combine that with a ATI HD3870 or new NVIDIA card good drivers and your sim will be transformed.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest Tiberius1250

Hi Richard. Ditto with the other guys, you need a lot of power to run FS properly.My system is one I originally built in the back end of 2002, 2.0ghz P4, 512 mb RAM, GeForce MX440 64 meg, Win98...quite a decent machine back then. That system was adequate to run FS2002 at decent detail levels with no addons. I picked up FS2004 the week it came out and it would barely run at anything more than sparse detail, dense autogen and weather would kill it.Still running the same basic system purely because it's been so reliable, since then I've upgraded as far as it will let me go to a P4 2.8, 2 gigs RAM and a GeForce 7800OC (I believe one of the best and last cards which will support AGP, everything's gone PCI-E now). It's a decent machine now, will run FS and my graphics/modelling software and look quite nice at high detail, just don't expect massive framerates and it will be ok. I still get some stuttering and texture blurring over dense areas like London, I know this is the limits of the old P4, they're not even on the performance charts anymore. My advice if you're keeping your system would be to up the RAM to 2gb, look at your computer specs and see how far you can push the mobo with a new processor and get a better gfx card. Older parts are getting really cheap now, the new processor made the biggest difference in mine and only cost about

"Hewlett-Packard PC running at 1.8 GHz with 512 MB SDRAM"..Sorry Richard you answered your own question. For your rig the only quick cure for the blurries is to 1. Increase your RAM to 2-4GB2. Get the fastest AGP video card with the most Video RAM you can find.3. Upgrade your processor to the fastest CPU you can find for your particular motherboard socket type.FS2004 requires brute force.HTH,Mike T.

This is what FsAltitude team member wrote to me about a possible FS2004/FS9 version:"Hello,Apparently this kind of rumour has been spread via forums, though this has never been the case.Until now we have not considered the FS2004 version to be released.In FSX images are 14.25 m/pixel, and the disk and memory usage are about 10 times less than fs2004 basic texture. With FS2004 such a product should not be possible to use because of this problem (it would be very