Sign in to follow this  
desertwind

How do you organize your scenery files?

For me it started off innocently enough. Like many others, I downloaded some nice freeware scenery from AVSIM for my local flying area. Then it was for areas I'd flown before. Then it was for areas I'd like to fly. Now, of course, my mission is to download the entire world in hi-res photo scenery. =oPUnfortunately, I've created the unwieldy file library monster. I want to consolidate and organize the library, but if I understand how FS9 file library works, you can't just group multiple scenery areas under a single folder and add that one folder to the library. It requires all of the .bgl scenery files and texture files from EACH scenery area to be consolidated into a single scenery and texture file, respectively. Am I correct?Also, is there a performance penalty when combining gargantuan numbers of texture files into a single folder?How do you organize your scenery library?Tawni

Hi,I have an scenery main folder outside FS2004 and have for each scenery a separate folder, organized by continent and country.Something like:D:FS2004 Scenery......NorthAmerica..........US..............KEWR..............KJFK......Europe..........EH..............EHAM..............EHRD..........ES..............ESSA..............ESSGetc, etc

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I have mine organized in much the same way as Egbert -Except I fly mainly in North America so have it something likeAddon scenery-----Canadian Airports & Scenery---------Then an individual folder for each Province-------------with each individual airport under the correct Province------US Airports & Scenery---------Then an individual folder for each State-------------with each individual airport under the correct State------Mexico Airports & Scenerysame method------South American Airports & Scenerysame methodI also try to keep the associated Afcad and Traffic file with the airport entry - in it's scenery subfolder. FS2004 will use them in that location and if I ever decide to remove an airport, one delete gets it all - no stray afcads or traffic files to hunt down.Everyone has their own method which works best for them.Hope this is helpful.

Hi, David and Egbert!Thanks for your replies. Your management of files is logical. However, my question is how this works when registering your neatly organized scenery files with the FS9 Library Manager. For example, say you have your files organized like this:SceneryNorthAmericaUSCaliforniaand have twenty scenery areas under California.When you register with the Library Manager, can you just register ..California and have ALL the scenery areas contained in that folder appear in FS9 WITHOUT having to lump the scenery and texture files from ALL the different scenery areas into a single scenery and texture folder? Tawni

Nope, I don't think you would want to attempt that.In the above example EACH of the twenty scenery areas would added to library, one at a time. The reasoning being that if you wanted to remove one of them you would have virtually no way of identifying what to remove if the bgls were all lumped together - to say nothing of trying to sort out the textures associated with that entry.As far as I know, there is no limit in FS2004 to the number of scenery entries you can have (there was a limit in FS2002) so there is little reason to do what you have in mind.That being said, there are times when you can combine entries into one - most of the sceneries by Tony Hiltunen (not sure of the spelling) can be combined into one entry. The 4 part Colorado Lakes project by Carlyle Sharpe can also be combined into one entry and I am sure there are other examples.You have to look at each individual situation.

I don't organize the actual folders, I just keep everything in whatever the author sets up (if nothing than the airport code). With a quick search it isn't too hard to find something even if the library gets big. I recently reinstalled and one thing I am doing this time around is testing every piece of scenery going in, and recording them all in a database. I'm hoping of avoiding all the stuff that I won't get the use out of. That way, I will know every airport in my sim. There are so many great freeware airports out there, but I'm trying to keep my sim "lean and mean" and stick to the areas I fly regularly.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF