Sign in to follow this  
ricardo296

FSGenesis vs FSGlobal 2008

Hi everybody, i was thinking about improve the mesh terrain in fs9 and i really dont know what of these two options (FSGenesis or FSGlobal) i will choose. If the money is not a problem, can anybody tell something comparing this two packages. I usually fly in south america, but this dont mean i dont care about the terrain in other zones. In fact, after knowing south america y will fly to the USA or to Europe, so i would like to have the terrain ready for those zones too.Talking about resolution, which one is better?For south america, which one would you chose?At the end, do these two packages do the same think? i mean, i will see the same terrain improvements using one or the other????

Guest chris.eve

You're unlikely to find anyone who's got both sets of data for a direct comparasion. I believe FSGlobal is using a newer (or more refined) set of data than Genesis, unless Genesis have updated their data as well, but as to whether you'd notice the difference, (if there is any), unless you know the area intimately, is unlikely.Check the respective web-sites for resolution differences, if that's of real concern, then "pay your money and take your choice". Either solution is likely to be far superior to the default scenery.

SUPPOSING that both developers (FSGenesis and FSglobal)make their products using the same last terrain data, this means that they are offering the same product? If I, for example, add a Genesis 76m mesh terrain to the zone of Brazil then i will see the same quality if I add 76m mesh terrain from Global (or even from a free download site 76m mesh terrain) to the same zone of Brazil,SUPPOSING, off course, they all are using the same last terrain data ??So this is something like to decide buying a Q6600 quad core processor in one shop or to buy the same Q6600 quad core in another shop? (the same product, different salers).If this is true, for the same resolution (for example 76m), a way to decide would be to look at the newer set of data??? Sorry, my english is not so good. RICARDO

Guest chris.eve

>> If this is true, for the same resolution (for example 76m), a way to decide would be to look at the newer set of data??? Or the cheaper price ;-) Unless you have accurate hi-resolution photographic scenery for the area you are unlikely to notice any difference.

Pilot Software (FS Global) maintains they edit and adjust areas missed or not covered by the SRTM data using interpolation and other sources.They have quite a few papers on their website about what they do.I have not flown the northern or southern latitudes they claim to generate beyond the published SRTM data but I have been quite pleased with their product.If you get FSG be sure to read the .pdfs on adjustments you can make to your .cfg files concerning water levels to prevent terrain from hiding river flows, etc., at the risk of some compromises. As I recall similar information is on their website.

Guest ThrottleUp

I think Im gonna get a Galaxy Membership for FSG :)

One thing I don't understand. What is the difference between the FSGenesis's package on avsim compared to the one you buy on their site?

If it was just a matter of running SRTM data through resample, no one would pay for mesh. scott s..

thank you to all of you for your answers and comments.Thank you Justin, that was exactly what I was looking for ( head-to-head comparison).Wowww... FsGlobal offers mainly 76m, decreasing the default resolution for USMainland, Us Alaska and US Hawaii ????? Only offers 19m for the alps zone. (This is for FSX). The same happens with FS2004 ??Silly question, but what is FSGlobal web site??? shy :-shy :-shy RICARDO

Guest chris.eve

I notice this reference is for the FSX product, but this thread is in the FS9 forum ... is the FSGenesis product also suitable for FS9 (or is their FS9 product also at the higher resolutionns) ... we don't want to confuse anyone ;-)