Sign in to follow this  
golfbravo

Overland 777-200LR question...

Good day all,I have a question for anyone that has the updated 777s from Simmer's Sky/Overland. As a current owner of the FS9 version, is the 777-200LR update free, or does one have to re-purchase the entire package in order to have it? Having paid a rather pretty penny (albeit for both Airbus and Boeing), I wouldn't want to go through that again just for the B777-200LR (I'm very satisfied with the current versions). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for your help, bud. It looks like I'll have to email them. I may have deleted my product information (confirmation/serial number) after I installed the original package. Oy!Cheers,

When you get it all sorted out, would you let us know how you like the new FDEs? I just downloaded these updates. I really like the planes, and I don't really want to screw up something that I don't consider broken. Thanks.

I'm wondering myself, if it's worth it. What with Bryan Betts' updates and all. It doesn't look like a must have update.I hope they're working on some new Overlands as well! Plenty of gaps to fill in the "lite" category. 717, 727, 757, DC-9 series, MD-80 series...

Mike...

>>I'm wondering myself, if it's worth it. What with Bryan Betts' >>updates and all. Bingo! And with an .exe update file from Overland that's 198 megs in size, that's a scary prospect when you're pretty happy with what you've got.

I downloaded and installed both the Airbus and Boeing package updates last night. One thing they recommend is to backup all your existing Overland directories because the aircraft cfg files will be overwritten with the update. So, obviously that's a slight inconvenience to have to go back and add all your repaints back to the individual cfg files.I played around with a few of the models, and from what I can tell, the major differences are in the landing gear animation sequences (one example is a greater "tiptoeing" effect on the A330/A340 when landing) and the addition of wingflex on the 737NG's. And, obviously, you have the 777-200LR now.One of my gripes is the package does not appear to include the non-VC models anymore. What gives? I've never been a big VC user as I prefer to look out and see what the wing is doing.Anyway, that's my two cents. For some, the FDE updates available here on avsim may be enough.

Guest Outer Marker

Hey there simmers!Interesting this update from Overland...As many of you know, I have been working extensively on the Overland Airbus FDE for a few months now and recently completed the entire Airbus hangar from the original Overland product. Currently, I am in the process of doing the Boeing family. The 747-400 is already out. Hands down, Overland provides some serious flexibility. The models cater to those who like virtual cockpits and those who don't. The models are very frame-rate friendly, and the panels are uncomplicated. For those of you who like to up the visual quality of the panels, Overland FDEs for the most part do not require any complicated hooks into the gauge files. This means that you can do panel merges without having to modify things. 99% of the time a simple panel aliasing is all that is required.Since the original Overland release, there has been one update which addressed flight dynamics issues and a couple of sound issues. That's where I focus my work. There are still some things which weren't right (range, thrust, de-rated takeoff, approach profiles, climb profiles, cruise attitude, pitch damping etc.)The latest update by Overland (May 8th, 2008) is actually more of a model update rather than a flight dynamics update. Sure the files have changed, and yes we have wing flex on the 737s now, and yes we get the 777LR models... now for the BUT...My initial testing indicates that the flight dynamics, while much improved, are still just short of the mark. In some cases (Airbus A340 series) there is little to no difference. If you want to give the update a try, by all means do. It's free after all, providing you have the original CD or license key.One word of caution... I will be working from the models prior to the May 8th update. The new models in the May 8th update have a few different contact points which make things incompatible with my FDE updates.Why can't I just update the contact points I hear you say? Well I could, but that would mean a re-release of all my Airbus family, and you guys would have to update AGAIN. I think you see the rut... Overland updates, Bryan updates, Overland updates, Bryan updates...To avoid chasing our tails around in circles, I would recommend (with all the unbiased opinion I can muster) that you choose an update path and stick with it. Want to stick with Overland? No offense taken. Want to go with my updates? Welcome onboard Bryan air!If any of you would like to provide opinions on my FDE files, please feel free to download them from AVSIM here: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&Go=Change+ViewBryan Betts (Outer Marker)

Well, I'm holding out for Bryan Betts' updates. I've already installed his Airbus updates and the B747-400 and I'm EXTREMELY pleased with them. These planes are a real joy to fly. The origina FDE's weren't bad and the visual models are great. But Bryan is working on the Boeings and I'm going to go with them when he has them ready. As I told Bryan, I've NEVER had a 747-400 that I was satisfied with until he delivered his update on the Overland 744. It far surpasses the POSKY or even the PMDG which seems to get a lot of airtime. Whether these FDE's are accurate, who can tell? It's a computer sim so we make do with what we have and I can't say enough about the fdes from Mr. Betts.

>>Well, I'm holding out for Bryan Betts' updates. Me too!