Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

FS9 and Directx 10

This may be a stupid question, but I just bought an ATI HD3870 card, and I'm only going to fly FS9. Should I be running Direct X 10? Will FS2004 even run under DirectX 10? I have Windows XP Pro 32 bit.I'm currently running DXv9c, and I think I have it running OK now but the card has been kind of "squirrely" ever since I got it, requiring a lot of tweaks, driver reinstalls, etc. I've searched the forums here and can only find references to DX10 and FSX, or FS9 in Vista.As always, thanks in advance.

I don't think you should be running DirectX 10. There are 3 factors required for it:1. A DirectX 10 card (check)2. A DirectX 10 game (nope)3. Windows Vista (nope)Since FS9 isn't a DirectX 10 game and is too old for it to be rewritten with DX10 files, and since you don't have Vista (which contains the true DX10 software), there won't be DirectX 10 for FS9. It was meant to work with DirectX 7.0-9.0c.Regards,

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Chuck:Your HD3870 is DX9, DX10 and DX10.1 compatible. These are not settings that you can choose and will be deterimined by your OS and then by the game.If you are running XP you will never be in DX10 mode, even if you buy a game like Crysis that is fully DX10 compatible (or FSX that has a DX10 "preview"). You will not have the option in the game to turn on DX10.If you go to Vista which comes with DX10 and DX9 compatibility mode, your 3870 will run in DX10 natively and run DX10 & DX10.1 games as well as DX9 games.First - Get 3DMark2006 and benchmark your system AS IS.Second - Get DriverCleaner.Third - Uninstall your current ATI driversFourth - Run DriverCleaner and let it erase all of your left over driver directories, registery entries and such.Fifth - Install the LATEST ATI drivers from ATI.Sixth - Run 3DMark2006 again and benchmark your system post upgradeThe ATI drivers are notourious for leaving stuff behind between reinstalls and it will make your system slower and slower if you keep installing ATI drivers without cleaning them in between even if using the unistall utility provided with the Catalyst drivers.Make sure that YOU know what you are doing with your tweaks, what you wish to accomplish and what each setting does. If handled incorrectly you will make your system slower for a given situation.Also, be realistic about your HD3870 card. Run in Crossfire mode (ie. 2 cards slaved) two HD3870 even get higher benchmarks that a single HD3870X2 and is blazing fast. A single HD3870 card however, is not in the same league as a HD3870X2 or Nvidia 8800GTS (albeit a very good card indeed!!!). HTH, Mike T.

Thanks, guys. I just wasn't getiing it about DirectX 10 in the context of FS9.Mike: the only complaint I have about this new system is I'm getting some mipmap lines flashing that I never had with my Dell Dimension and ATI cards, and it seems no matter what I do I just can't get it all cleared up. I've done everything you write aboutThanks again both of you for making everything right on point.

I admit even I was tempted when it said it could help Vista too. But it is a hack, and I wouldn't use it. I don't trust that link...

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

>Can someone tell me what this ia all about then?>>http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx->10-for-windows-xp-from-alky-project/this concerns games that are written for DX10 and don't run correctly in DX9. this group is attempting to write a 'DX10' that works with winXP.to restate what has already been said: there is no DX10 requirement to run FSX; FS9 does not 'do' anything with the new abilities of DX10.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

As I recall, this was a wildly unsuccessful attempt. DX10 hooks deep into Vista and XP hasn't got the essential code to make it work even with a hacked kluge like this one...DJ

This WAS an attempt to get DX10 working on XP and it has failed. This is a left over Alpha version which means that it will have serious known issues as well as many unknown issues. And since the Alky project is no more there will be no beta...they could not get it to work.Besides, DX10 does absolutely nothing for FS9 (and very, very, very little for FSX either)