Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

KMIA - "STAR" runway set up

I'm re-evaluating some of my STAR runway setups for a few airports based on some great info I received on here. It really does make a difference in which order you set the runways. Issue I have now is that at KMIA the westbound runways don't seem to get assigned even though the wind is 223 @ 12. If the runway asignment is based on 90deg angles wind to rwy heading then I would think that the '27' and '26' and '30' runways would be assigned. I have my STAR set up starting with 8L 8R 9 listed first, then my ghost runways, then ending with rwy 12, with 7.3 degrees setting on the ghost runways. It seems right but can't figure out why westbound doesn't get assigned. I'm using ActiveSKY with supression set 100 mi out. No runways are blocked for landing or takeoff and all the eastbound runways get some action. ideas?

disregard the previous post. I guess there wasn't a problem. If you start out at a given airport and traffic is in progress, it seems the airport isn't 'turned around' to accommodate the wind. But if you're outside the area and fly into it, things work fine. Flew KDFW-KMIA, winds were 263 @12 and all 27, 26 and 30 rwys were in action. Sorry 'bout that. Guess I jumped the gun.

A tip if I may. If you change the weather while at an airport, also change the time a couple of minutes, this will force ATC to take the new weather into account. Alternatively, use the Refresh AI button in ActiveSky if that's controlling your sim weather.

Mike...