Sign in to follow this  
Guest perincurium

Strange Frame rate drop FS9.1

Guest perincurium

Morning - I hope some one can help me with the frame rate drop I am getting after 2 or 3 minutes of either flight or sitting on the tarmac.When I load the default cessna at seattle I get my usual 25FPS after a while (2 or 3 mins) the frame drops to 4FPS. This happens whether in the default aircraft or addon aircraft, it doesnt make a difference if the cockpit is 2d or VC, does it at all airports I have tried and also happens with no traffic and the display sliders all minimised.The frame rate returns to 25 after alt tabbing out of fs2004 or if I press the alt key, but after a while back it goes to around 4 FPS.Does anyone know whats causing this and how to fix it, or is a reinstall the only way to resolve? ThanksAndy

I assume this was not a problem until recently.What have you added to FS2004 recently?Try uninstalling or disabling recent addons - aircraft and scenery until you are back to a "normal" display.If you have kept a log of what you add, it should not be too difficult to determine the root cause of the problem.

Guest perincurium

>>I assume this was not a problem until recently.>>What have you added to FS2004 recently?>>Try uninstalling or disabling recent addons - aircraft and>scenery until you are back to a "normal" display.>>If you have kept a log of what you add, it should not be too>difficult to determine the root cause of the problem.>>I may be being thick but would a faulty addon cause all these problems or just have an effect when it was in use?Is working back and disabling better than reinstalling and adding until the problem replicates?Thanks for the help.

Heck Jupiter not aligning up perfectly with Mars and Venus will screw up you flight sim. Some guy flushing his toilet in Zimbabwe will screw up you flight sim. I am sure you get my drift. Pretty much anything you add to FS can conflict in some way or another and screw up flight sim.

Andy- you might experiment with the FS command- "Refresh Scenery". I have it mapped to the Pause/ Break key for convenience. When I detect a reduced FPS, I merely hit this key; there is a 3-4 sec pause, then FS resumes full blast. Very handy- especially as prep for approach.Alex Reid

That trick does work but does not solve the basic problem.I believe he should get to the root cause and fix/eliminate it rather than rely of having to refresh his scenery.

I'd start with the "usual suspects" before anything drastic. -Defrag your hard drive-Spyware/adware/virus scan-kill unnecessary start up programs, services, etc (FSAutostart is nice http://kensalter.com/software/ )

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

David, I agree- find the root cause: but why did MS include Refresh Scenery as a stock command if declining FPS wasn't a normal phenomenon?At my age- wish I had that command myself!Alex Reid

I think most of us use the Refresh command to clear up "blurries" - prior to landing especially.The original poster was seeking relief from a drastic frame rate drop rather than the "blurries" I think, and that is likely a different problem.At 72, I too also wish there was a "refresh" command for my body at my disposal.

Guest Epanel

Try delete your fs9.cfg (make backup). If that doesn't work, try uninstalling but if you want to keep your add-ons,make a temp folder with all the add-ons there so you can simply drag them back to the fs9 folder :-)regardsJonny

Opa- don't think I've ever experienced the "blurries"- not even certain what simmers mean by that- but my sys does sometimes show a reduced FPS after flying for awhile. Doesn't happen all the time by any means and usually is noticed when manoeuvering for landing or sometimes after extensive ground taxiing. Hit Refresh Scenery and you are "good to go".I've always assumed this was a side effect of triple monitors/views running on my "Smithsonian" class, 1.8 GHz computer.(PS try heading for waypoint 77!)Cheers- Alex Reid

Guest Edob

Sorry to Bump this thread, but amymore updates? Im experiencing the same problem, already reinstalled twice to no effect. I Uninstalled the entire settings (including fs9 cfg file).Any other suggestions for what I could try?

If this continues to happen after a completely "clean" reinstall of FS2004 - with NO addons, then I would turn my attention to the possibility of a hardware problem - overheating of any of the base components etc.As a start, take the cover off your case and setup a small household fan to direct more air through and around the components and see if you experience any improvement.I am sure others can offer more specific ideas to test the "health" of various components.