Sign in to follow this  
Guest iainsm

Cannot run fs9 anymore

Guest iainsm

hiI am not a regular message poster on here but I would really appreciate some advice. I was flying happily a few days ago but now I can't get the sim to run. I insert the disc, double-click on the fs9 icon and the splash screen shows for a couple of seconds and then disappears. I tried to uninstall it but it said the uninstaller shortcut was missing. I am a good sim pilot but not good with my pc unfortunately! I really hope to hear from someone soon, I have no clue what to do and would love to get it running soon.Thanks for your help, Iain

Guest iainsm

Hi JimI just tried that but it didn't make a difference. I hoped to uninstall it but I can't get that to run as it says I have a missing shortcut.Thanks, Iain

Guest iainsm

Thanks for your response but unfortunately that did not solve the problem either. I really have no idea what I could do next!Iain

Guest iainsm

I ran a system restore, and I'm back in the air! I should have tried that before I posted this but thanks for your time anyway.Iain

Hello Iaian,I am glad you got it working after a system restore. That "missing shortcut" message is worrisome though. It sounds like a major component of FS9 may have been damaged or deleted.Please, also run a CHKDSK/F/R or from MY COMPUTER, select the drive where your FS2004 is installed, right-click it, then select the TOOLS tab. Then select ERROR CHECKING, and select BOTH checkboxes.After rebooting, CHKDSK will verify your drive - it is in 5 stages - and will take anywhere from 20 minutes to 60 minutes on most systems (depending on your system speed).This is just a precaution to make sure you do not have impending issues with your hard drive failing, other corrupt files or a file system/WINDOWS corruption. Also, do you run any defragmentation and chkdsk regularly on your system and clean up your temp files? Have you noticed, for example, that your PC is running more and more slowly recently or are you getting other crashes of FS or other programs?Hope this helps,John

Guest magnum_force

>Hello Iaian,>>I am glad you got it working after a system restore. That>"missing shortcut" message is worrisome though. It sounds>like a major component of FS9 may have been damaged or>deleted.>>Please, also run a CHKDSK/F/R or from MY COMPUTER, select the>drive where your FS2004 is installed, right-click it, then>select the TOOLS tab. Then select ERROR CHECKING, and select>BOTH checkboxes.>>After rebooting, CHKDSK will verify your drive - it is in 5>stages - and will take anywhere from 20 minutes to 60 minutes>on most systems (depending on your system speed).>>This is just a precaution to make sure you do not have>impending issues with your hard drive failing, other corrupt>files or a file system/WINDOWS corruption. >>Also, do you run any defragmentation and chkdsk regularly on>your system and clean up your temp files? Have you noticed,>for example, that your PC is running more and more slowly>recently or are you getting other crashes of FS or other>programs?>>Hope this helps,>JohnCHKDSK/F/R, running this option at least once a month is a very good idea.It does take a long time to complete, but it can save your data if you have a failing hard drive to a certain degree.Back up often to DVD.Date them and store them away.Hard disk failure is the worst possible thing that can happen without backup files.

Guest rwrea

I think u could have gone to fs9.exe and created a shortcut again. Delete that first one first and then create the shorcut again frome fs9.exe.Regards,Dick ReaMCA372

Guest rwrea

meant to add: I don't like to run System Restore, unless absolutely necessary.Dick