Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bob I

Where's the AZORES?

I want to fly to or from the Azores...where the summit occurred today. However, I can't find it! Where exactly is it, and how many airports are there on this ISLAND? Thanks, Stan

Guest jase439

The Azores are a small cluster of islands in the Atlantic, several hundred miles west-southwest of Portugal.

Guest wkzzo

Try these:Santa Maria (LPAZ)Lajes,Terceira(LPLA)

Look west of Portugal (they own the islands btw) approx 38 deg Lat/28 deg Long. Not sure how many airports are there (Azores is made up of several islands). I know I stopped there a few times on Military MAC flights, I remember the landings as kind of hairy in a L1011. It's known for very high winds and the runway is near a steep cliff, making it similar to a carrier landing. The US Air Force has a base there (mainly a gas stop) and the US Navy has used it to base sub hunters there for years.

There are 9 IslandsEast group:LPPD - S. MiguelLPAZ - St. MariaCentral Group:LPLA - Terceira (summit)LPHR - FaialLPPI - PicoLPSJ - S. JorgeLPGR - GraciosaWest Group: LPFL - FloresLPCR - CorvoJos

Thanks, I'm goin' there right now with Active Sky and FS Sky World. I'll check out the weather and fly around a little. Then, tomorrow, I'll fly from there or TO there from Allentown, Pa. Appreciate it....Stan

Fire up a C-17 or C-5 and try KWRI - LPLA or KADW - LPLA.LOC DK 109.9 for RWY 15 course 155. IAF is WENDY.scott s..

Since they are in the middle of the atlantique (LPFL 1000NM from St. John's Canada, LPPD 900NM from Lisbon) Azores was one important stop, LPAZ for commercial and LPLA for military planes. The first use was by the clipper in LPHR and then LPLA during WWII. Of course today the airfields aren't used anymore by international traffic except during emergencies. LPLA and LPAZ are big enought for any plane ;) Jos

Thanks for all the info. I plan to fly into all those airports and check out the scenery.Much appreciated. Stan

The Azores are regularly used by ferry pilots taking GA aircraft to and from the US to and from Europe. It's a prevailing winds and weather thing whether the ferry pilot goes North to come into the UK via Scotland using the GIUK route, or via the southerly route via the Azores and Southern Spain or France.ChasW

Guest Bob I

Did some time there back in the sixties. For entertainment, the NCO club would advertise that there would be 750 pounds of DOD school teachers to dance with on Saturday night..... You know, sometimes both of them would show up.Bob I