Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Strange Barometer readings

Most of the time I fly with the weather mode "Fair Weather" and the reading is alway 29.92 /1013. I fly with Radar Contact4 most of the time and it gave me a reading a couple of time LESS than 29.92, but has never given me anything but 29.92 before????? I was not using any other weather program. jerrycwo4

That is not strange. A barometer is an instrument used to measure atmospheric pressure. It can measure the pressure exerted by the atmosphere by using water, air, or mercury. Pressure tendency can forecast short term changes in the weather. Numerous measurements of air pressure are used within surface weather analysis to help find surface troughs, high pressure systems, and frontal boundaries. (Copied from Wikipedia)It can change depending on weather.

Maybe you should think of investing in active sky 6.5

Rob Prest

Guest DanWalloch

"Fair Weather" is just that, it's not Standard which 29.92 is meant to signify.

OK, I thought that it was the "Fair Weather" that I was using instead of "Clear Weather". Anyway, without using any other weather programs(ONLY FS2004); with "Fair Weather checked, my bar reading was always, 29.92 standard pressure. Flying with RD4, it gave me a barometer check of 29.83, which it had NEVER done before.....my reading was always, 29.92.

Guest Tom Goodrick

29.83 is so close to 29.92 I find it hard to understand why you are concerned. The runway might move up 10 feet.Live a little. Fly with Real Weather. You will see settings from 28.00 to 31.50. This will create elevation changes of several hundred feet (which is the whole idea of getting baro readings from ground stastions before you approach an airport.I always do flight tests in Clear Weather which sets standard atmospheric conditions with no wind. But I allow for moderate weather changes and that can introduce a cloud or two and a little turbulence if you fly for a long time.

The reason that I stopped flying with real weather is I've spent thousands of dollars to make my FS2004 terrain look the very best it can be and I dont want it covered up by a bunch of CLOUDS. jerrycwo4

Guest DanWalloch

>OK, I thought that it was the "Fair Weather" that I was using>instead of "Clear Weather". Anyway, without using any other>weather programs(ONLY FS2004); with "Fair Weather checked, my>bar reading was always, 29.92 standard pressure. Flying with>RD4, it gave me a barometer check of 29.83, which it had NEVER>done before.....my reading was always, 29.92. I never get 29.92 with Fair Weather, it's always 29.82 or .83. Wierd.

>29.83 is so close to 29.92 I find it hard to understand why>you are concerned. The runway might move up 10 feet.>>Live a little. Fly with Real Weather. You will see settings>from 28.00 to 31.50. This will create elevation changes of>several hundred feet (which is the whole idea of getting baro>readings from ground stastions before you approach an>airport.>>I always do flight tests in Clear Weather which sets standard>atmospheric conditions with no wind. But I allow for moderate>weather changes and that can introduce a cloud or two and a>little turbulence if you fly for a long time.29.83 and 29.92 are not close.If you were on a CAT II approach you may be getting close to killing yourself

Guest DanWalloch

>>29.83 is so close to 29.92 I find it hard to understand why>>you are concerned. The runway might move up 10 feet.>>>>Live a little. Fly with Real Weather. You will see settings>>from 28.00 to 31.50. This will create elevation changes of>>several hundred feet (which is the whole idea of getting>baro>>readings from ground stastions before you approach an>>airport.>>>>I always do flight tests in Clear Weather which sets>standard>>atmospheric conditions with no wind. But I allow for>moderate>>weather changes and that can introduce a cloud or two and a>>little turbulence if you fly for a long time.>>29.83 and 29.92 are not close.>>If you were on a CAT II approach you may be getting close to>killing yourselfA little quick math, which I think I'm right even though I'm tired, that difference is about 90 ft. Nothing like coming down that CAT II ILS to an almost CAT III touchdown.

Sorry about the "RD4". Of course I ment to say "RC4" (Radar Contact 4), the ATC program. jerrycwo4