Sign in to follow this  
Forever777

IMAGINESIM KATL RELEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry EricDefault scenery in this case means Imagine Scenery. This answer is yes. Remove the imaginesim_KATL_ILS.bgl which is the file that has my original approach code in it. Repace it with the KATL_app_jv.bgl file which has the correct XML code.

>Jim, thank you for releasing your KATL package. I've only>been monitoring traffic for a couple of minutes now, but I've>already seen arrivals on four different runways. Truly>amazing!>>Can't help but notice a couple of things though. A FedEx>aircraft was parked at one of the E gates. Others at O1-O3.>And not at the FedEx coded cargo ramp. This seems to be a>parking spot size issue. The biggest FedEx spot is 38.10m,>following the PAI recommended radius spec, that's not big>enough for the MD11 nor DC10 (both 39m). And I have several of>both flying to and from KATL. I have several other cargo>aircraft (B744F's) with little place to go. The cargo apron>south of 9R/27L is a mix of gate small and small cargo spots.>Definitely no 43m (or 50 if you will).>>I'm also wondering about some of the 'severed' links. For>example, T gates and the west side of A. No links to the>southern runways. Won't (departing and arriving) traffic go>all the way round? Same for C east and D west. Disconnected>about halfway. Say an AirTran flight arrives on 8R and gets>assigned C21...>>I did see the note in your readme about intentionality though,>but I'm curious anyway. ;-)MikeWith any of my AFCAD's you can make changes as needed. There are so many different versions of FP's its hard sometimes to address all of them. You are correct about the parking size of Fed EX and you may have to increase up to 39.1M for some spots. I for some reason have all my Cargo MD11/DC10's set with a model radius of 38M but can't remember why.I could not find any Cargo FP's that had B747's coming into KATL so I did not code any cargo parking spots to 43.1. Again, if you have B747 Cargo's then increase any Cargo Spot up to 43.1 or 50M. However keep in mind 50m is a waste due to Cargo planes being nothing more then Airline B747's model.mdl's with no windows in the textures.Broken link lines are by designThese broken link lines are based on a full load of AI Traffic during peak departure/arrival times. If we take for example AirTran the majority arrive from the north. That means they have to taxi to the southside of Terminal C. AT that point they want to come passed all the Delta commuters (trying to get out) and I observed many head to head stalls. I broke the link lines so the AirTran is forced to go around and not through the same area as all those DAL commuters.The same applies to Terminal T. I force Departures to the taxiway closest to the runway when departing 9L. This keeps the taxiway that is closest to the Terminal buildings open for arrivals. The 9L departure line can get so long at times nothing will ever get out of the T terminal or even get back in to park at T. So you are correct that any AI Plane departing T will exit out the North end and then come back south between Terminals A and B in order to get in line for departure.If you don't run a full load of AI or have increased the time out limits to 15 then feel free to reconnect these taxiway link lines as needed.This also applies to RWY 8R/26L which is closed for takeoff. You can reopen so some departures will also use that runway. Again it bottle necks with full load AI traffic because arrivals on 8R/26L take precedence in FS2004. I left the User one runway that he will never get a go around on. No matter what runway ATC assigns on arrival, as a option ask for 9L/27R. This runway does not have a lot of AI arrival traffic.The AFCAD's are designed for the max load of FP's at KATL. If the user does not want the max load 100 percent then reconnecting lines and opening runway 8R/26L would not be a problem.Feel free to question any issue you see or may not understand why I did something a certain way.

>This also applies to RWY 8R/26L which is closed for takeoff.>You can reopen so some departures will also use that runway.Hi Jim-Thank you for your work! I am kind of new to the AFCAD/AI thing, although I have been simming for years. I am in the process of installing real airline schedules for my AI. I just installed your package per your instructions, and I would like some information as to how I can re-open runway 8R/26L for departures. (Use the outermost RWs for arrivals.) When I start my flight at ATL with this package, there is a line halfway back down the runway that forms mega-quickly since only one runway is open for departures. Is there a free utility to change your file, or do you plan on releasing an alternate file to add this option?Also, I am noticing my AI is landing nearly at the midpoint of Runway 8L/26R....any idea what would be causing that? Aircraft always take a left turn off 8L and double back on the north side of the airport. I have never seen aircraft do that repetitively in Atlanta. Am I doing something incorrectly?Thanks for your time and any insight you can provide.Scott

>>This also applies to RWY 8R/26L which is closed for>takeoff.>>You can reopen so some departures will also use that runway.>>Hi Jim->>Thank you for your work! I am kind of new to the AFCAD/AI>thing, although I have been simming for years. I am in the>process of installing real airline schedules for my AI. I>just installed your package per your instructions, and I would>like some information as to how I can re-open runway 8R/26L>for departures. (Use the outermost RWs for arrivals.) When I>start my flight at ATL with this package, there is a line>halfway back down the runway that forms mega-quickly since>only one runway is open for departures. Is there a free>utility to change your file, or do you plan on releasing an>alternate file to add this option?>>Also, I am noticing my AI is landing nearly at the midpoint of>Runway 8L/26R....any idea what would be causing that? >Aircraft always take a left turn off 8L and double back on the>north side of the airport. I have never seen aircraft do that>repetitively in Atlanta. Am I doing something incorrectly?>>Thanks for your time and any insight you can provide.>>Scott>ScottThe departure line for Runway 9L/27R is somewhat by design. By forcing most of the departures (Main Terminal) to this runway the AI Planes will not disappear (sit to long) because very few arrivals use this runway. The line is always in motion.I designed KATL AFCAD with no tweaks made such as AI Smooth or taxiway speed /timeouts in place. I cannot always know who uses what. If AI Smooth/AI Seperation, taxi speeds and timeouts are being used then each FS2004 user that purchased ImagineSim KATL has additional options on how the runways are used. You must experiment on what works better for you based on other tweaks you have in place. Rwy's that are used as departures with my AFCAD but can be changedRWY 10/28, Some of the South Cargo planes will go there (based on weight)Rwy 9R/27L, Some of the South Cargo planes will go there based on weight)Rwy 9L/27R, All airplanes that are parked at the Main Terminal of the airport and any Plane that weighs more the 74,000 lbs that is parking in the Northside area (Cargo and overflow)RWY 8R/26L, Closed for takeoff unless you reopen.RWY 8L/26R, All AI Planes that weight less then 74,000 lbs that are parking toward the north area of the Main Terminal (Commuters) and any plane that parks in GA, Cargo and over flow that weighs less then 74,000 lbs.When I say AI Planes that also includes the User Plane (you the Pilot). The difference is you have a choice on which runway you want to depart from through the ATC window and AI Planes do not have a choice selection ATC window.The first thing you need is the freeware Utility here at AVSIM called AFCAD2 by Lee Swordy. That will open my AFCAD airport so you can make changes. Once you open my AFCAD, double click on RWY 8R/26L. Remove the checkmarks that are in the box that says closed for takeoff. Save the AFCAD.Part of my code that opens all runways for arrival also has an affect on the touchdown point for both rwy 10/28 and 8L/26R. These runways are also intersection departing runways. The touchdown point is directly related to the weight restriction for those runways. The FS2004 weight restriction code will not allow any AI plane larger then a B737-500 (about 74,000 lbs empty weight) to land or Takeoff from these 2 runways. Even the large UPS/FedEX AI Planes will be vectored to 8L/26R (if reopened) or 9L/26R. What you are seeing is normal for my AFCAD.AI Planes that land on 8L will normally as per FS2004 ATC exit to the left and then double back to DIXI or C taxiway. These taxiways are coded as a direct route to the Main Terminal. ATC sees this as the prefered route for AI Planes because AI Planes are also landing on the 8R runway. The trunoff to the left and double back is prefered but not consistant over a longer period of time when FS2004 is running. AI Planes will in some cases turn off to the right and double back based on traffic already in taxi mode and moving toward their parking spot.For those that want a more precise coded ATC answer is that both the 8L and 8R runways are open for landing and are the default FS2004 overlay parallel runways that sit on the north side of the Main Terminal. Because my technique is in affect then ATC will prefer to turn the turnoff planes away from each other. Rwy 8L turnoff is left. Rwy 8R turnoff is right (but not always).All the above is based on planes landing to the East. If the West runways are active then a different set of taxi instructions will become the prefered. We must always remember there are no humans in a Tower controlling ground movement in FS2004. It is what I call the blind (controller) leading the blind (AI pilot). Because of that no airport will ever work as a real world airport in FS2004 due to engine AI code in command and not a human with eyes. Because my technique for opening all runways at KATL has never been seen before in FS2004 I expected a question and answer set of post and welcome these. Please remember that what you see is by design but can be changed. However some things I coded are carved in stone and required a hard code that you cannot see except visualy. Example, any AI Plane that goes missed (go around) I coded to execute the correct turn toward the published missed approach procedure. If you want to change any runway such as opening inter runways as departure and outer runways as arrival then using AFCAD once again select each runway and check the proper boxes for opening and closing each individual runway. hope this helps

Jim,I tried the steps you outlined above and also tried your afcad's..still get the ground textures disappearing on the west side of the scenery. I am using an ATI card. I have all of their previous stuff and practically every other payware scenery for FS9 and never seen this with any of them. Do you have any other ideas on what I can do?

Eric 

EricDuring the process of designing my AFCAD's I continued to see the west end of the airport loose its ground textures. After I completed the AFCAD's and installed for testing I deleted the 2 scenery.dat files (addon scenery folder and Imaginesim scenery folder) and restarted FS2004. For more then a week of testing I never encountered another problem with the westend texture problem.I can make a test suggestionMake a backup copy and open the scenery.cfg file in FS2004 root folder. Find the following section and place rem lines // in front of the Atlanta code like the following//Area.015//Title=Atlanta Aerial Photo//Layer=15//Active=TRUE//Required=FALSE//Local=SceneryCitiesAtlantaSave the scenery.cfg and start FS2004 and check.Most scenery designers that work with the few airports in FS2004 that have Aerial Photo textures deactivate the entry in the scenery.cfg file. I do not know why imaginesim did not do this when they added all their ground textures. Does ImagineSim have a forum that users can post to when they have problems or is it e-mail only.

If you don't run a full load of AI or have increased the time out limits to 15 then feel free to reconnect these taxiway link lines as needed.I run a full load. As a base I have Ultimate Traffic with the Summer 07 schedules. Various airlines have been imported into UT (holiday/charter airlines and cargo). Some UT airlines have been replaced by separate and more up-to-date traffic files. In addition to that, I also have all Ultimate GA packages (both official and those found in their file library). And I also have all Military AI Works packages. (I have military aircraft at KATL too.)So except for some parking spot size and code tweaks, I'll resist the temptation and leave everything as is. ;-DI could not find any Cargo FP's that had B747's coming into KATLMost of those 747's are part of Ultimate Traffic's Summer 07 plans. Some examples, Japan Airlines, Air France, China Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Polar Air. There's a bit of a list here, but with Wikipedia you never know its accuracy.

Mike...

MikeThanks for the link. I did add a few Cargo codes but you can size some of the parking spots and add more if needed. When we look at Cargo for KATL many Airlines that are listed as Cargo are not actually a Cargo type plane.Example, Delta Air Lines Inc. shifted its widebodied planes, with more room for cargo, to international routes. For overseas freight, Delta led the pack, bringing in 119,936 metric tons of cargo, followed by Korean Airlines with 43,668 metric tons, and EVA Airways Corp. with 33,613 metric tons. Korean Airlines uses the 2 daily non stops (Incheon) for cargo/passengers like some of the other listed airlines on the list. I should have researched the Cargo a little better then I did. Living and flying out of Atlanta for the last 20 years I cannot recall any Military parking on the field. That is not to say they don't but like you see I do not have any military spots coded. Most of the Military fly into and out of Dobbins AFB (KMGE) just north of the city.

EricTh test fix above using rem lines does not fix the problem. I have Identified the problem where some video cards are more sensitive to elevation isssues/changes then other type video cards.The actual problem must be fixed by Imaginesim. If you send them a e-mail the runways they added/replaced and textures are sitting too low. This will cause ground textures to disappear at certain headings and positions.Imaginesim used a flatten which is layered under KATL and set correctly at 312.7265625M. Their airport elevation is the same for the default KATL and is fine. However the 5 runways that they made are setting at 312.69921875M. Runways unlike taxiways and aprons do not flatten at the airport elevation value and must be coded. Somehow when they added their runways the decimal value was lowered slightly. The runway elevation code in there graphics must agree with the airport elevation. Changing AFCAD runway elevations does nothing for the graphics but only raises or lowers the hard floor that wheels rest on (seek).hope this helps

Jim, you're the man. Thanks for the thorough explanation. I'm sure it will help some other AI noobs who were wondering the same thing I was. It was certainly a big help for me. Keep up the great work!:-beerchug Scott

Jim,I sent them an email with the above information. Hopefully they can fix it posthaste. Many many many thanks for id'ing the problem!

Eric 

Jim, just one final note.While doing some monitoring at KATL and EHAM with 6500ft runways, I've seen several larger aircraft take-off from them. 757's and 767's. I remembered you mentioned (empty) weight and I checked the appropriate aircraft.cfg files and much to my surprise I found incorrect values. Much, much too low. At around 74000lbs. A figure I thought you mentioned somewhere in this thread. I went to Airliners.net for more reliable data and fixed these aircraft. I'm almost tempted to go check out all my AI, almost, since that would be quite an undertaking. :DI'm thinking that'll take care of at least these types. As you know, getting EHAM right is difficult, but I have it working quite nicely now. South configuration, 24 shortened to 6500 for take-offs of smaller aircraft, mostly Cityhoppers. (Plus the inevitable landing on occasion.) (18L for the rest.) North configuration, 36C shortened. Large aircraft taxi all the way to 36L and smaller aircraft use 36C (I've opened it for landings as well).Using this same method, I'm also going to look at KDFW. Should be able to get some traffic on 17C/35C. ;-)

Mike...

Guest ruudpel

Hi Mike,is there any chance you can share your improved EHAM AFCAD with us?

Jim you are correct. There is no military parking or flying out of KATL. The 747s that I've seen go in there are Cathy Pacific Cargo, World Airways, Korean Air, and China Airlines