Sign in to follow this  
Guest jetjock86

FS2004 Scrambles Desktop

Guest jetjock86

Hope this is not a repeat, but after exiting FS2004, desktop icons are scrambled and moved towards left side. Using small icons w/grid lock. Not a killer but a blamed nuisance. Running XP w/all updates and SP. Custom wallpaper background on desktop.

Are you running the same video resolution in FS2004 as you are using for "normal" tasks - i.e. your desktop?I have them both set the same (1024 x 768) and have never had a similar problem.

Guest RonB49

Like Opa says, it's a resolution thing. Do you use more than one monitor when running FS? I had this problem when I ran two monitors and had them set to different resolutions in FS but the same resolution on the desktop. I finally got tired of the hassel and set all resolutions the same.I just thought of a possible solution! Do you have an ATI video card? If so, then I believe that there is an option in ATI TrayTools to "lock" the desktop icons in place. I've never used it and I could be all wet, but I seem to recall seeing this option. Perhaps someone else can tell us if it works.R-

I hate to throw a monkey wrench in your theory, but I run my desktop, "normal" tasks, at 1024 by 768 using XP2. I run fs9 at 1280 by 1024. My desktop has always remained the same.Regards, Al

Here is a link to a great little utility which I have used for several years.With a simple click of the mouse your desktop icon arrangement is saved.If it gets messed up - for whatever reason - another click will restore the layout. Quick and simple.http://www.pcnineoneone.com/tweaks/layout.zipJusr follow the simple install instructions.Hope you find this as useful as I do.

Guest jetjock86

Thanks to all responders. I have aligned resolutions by changing FS2004 to the desktop resolution, 1024x768x32bit, with no help. My video card is an nVidia GF4. I searched but could find no option to "lock in" the desktop. Opa, I will try the utility you recommended. Could there be a bug in my copy of FS2004? I bought it aftermarket from Amazon Marketplace. It works fine otherwise except there are no instructions so i have to fumble my way through it. Oh well, it's Microsoft.

>Thanks to all responders. I have aligned resolutions by>changing FS2004 to the desktop resolution, 1024x768x32bit,>with no help. My video card is an nVidia GF4. I searched but>could find no option to "lock in" the desktop. Opa, I will try>the utility you recommended. Could there be a bug in my copy>of FS2004? I bought it aftermarket from Amazon Marketplace. It>works fine otherwise except there are no instructions so i>have to fumble my way through it. Oh well, it's Microsoft.Instructions? Surely you jest.FS2004 (and probably all other versions) have little or no "instructions" other than what is in the Help file.

R U Kidding? I earned my winged things from FS9. Well, From FS3 I guess. But I digress. The documentation on forums.avsim.net are excellent and therefore I need not say more.Dell XPS420, Q6600, 3GB, nVidia 8600 GTS, CHPro pedals, stick and throttle, Active sky, much more...