Sign in to follow this  
Guest slingshot

2D panel not filling the screen

Guest slingshot

Hello all,Just reinstalled FS9 and some addons on my newly-built PC with a 24 inch monitor and running at 1600x1200 (to keep the correct aspect ratio).I've noticed that all 2D panels (addons & MS) don't completely cover the background thus leaving a thin strip of the background on the edges. Some panels are better than others though. This is annoying because you can see the scene moving in the back.Has anyone had this problem? What should I do to fix it?Thanks in advance!!

Guest RonB49

Drag the edges of the panel to cover the background. If you then save the flight, that flight will reload with the panel already resized. Panel sizing and placement is one of the many reasons that I have saved flights for every airplane that I fly regularly. R-

Is this 24" monitor a 4:3 ratio or 16:9 ratio monitor? What is its native resolution? jerrycwo4

Guest slingshot

The native resolution is 1920x1200. I use 1600x1200 so that the 2D panel isn't distorted.

Even when you redo your panels you will have the same problem. As mentioned above, drag the left, right, and if necessary, the top down to be covered by your panel and save the flight. I do this regularly. No big deal. If you really want to get into it, you can adjust the size of the window by trial and error by adjusting the numbers in the "Default View" section at the bottom of the panel.cfg and your problems will be over. And man, may I add? You have a widescreen monitor, why not use it? What type of planes do you fly? Maybe I could help you adjust your panel to use the 24" properly in 2D. Maybe I already have one done and I could give you my bitmap and .cfg. I am truly in love with my 24" in 2D. I will post you a screenie when I get to my other computer. You get about 30% more left and right with a widescreen. You won't go back to "normal" res once you try it.DolphP.S.You might want to ask around in the panel design forum for any other ideas.

Here's two screenies of the Flight1 Pilatus PC-12 2D panel. The first is with 1600x1200 res, the second is with 1920x1200 native resolution. The click areas are still functional and yet the overall perspective is more realistic, IMHO.I had to shrink the pix to get them to upload.The second is with a modified panel made from a capture of the VC and modified to use the 2D gauges.You be the judge.

Guest slingshot

What you said is the exact reason why I bought a 24" widescreen monitor. There's really nothing better than to game on a big widescreen monitor.I don't have to worry about aspect ratio for the other games I own but unfortunately FS has 4:3 panels. The following are the addons I'm using right now:PMDG 747 & 747FPMDG 737Flight1 ATRSSTSIM ConcordeDreamfleet 727What software do I need to tweak the POV? Or do I just tweak panel.cfg? You did a great job on the Pilatus. What modifications did you make?Thanks!!

You need Microsoft Paint and FS Panel Studio. Paint is used for stretching the bitmap and FSPS for resizing/positioning the gauges. I also employ Photoshop to take care of the hard jobs such as cutting out the windshield. There are some 3PDs offering widescreen panels these days. I think some Flight1 planes do although the Pilatus didn't. The upcoming Citation X from Eaglesoft will have a widescreen 2D I have heard. That's one I'm waiting for. You might try contacting PMDG, Flight1 and Dreamfleet and see if anyone has done a modded panel and save you the trouble. I don't know if anyone else will share their work but I would if I could. And I don't have any of the aircraft you listed so I can't share my work with you.

Slingshot,I answered your question at the "other" forum. It involves revising the default window size in the panel.cfg. Not a major task.JerryHEdit: Below is a copy of my "other" response:----------------------------------------------------The problem is fixable, though it may take a little trial and error.You'll have to edit the panel.cfg file for each 2-D panel. Below is a fix that I copied from a Convair C340 panel. The original values are shown at the right.[Default View] // Adjusts default window to fix gap around panelX= 5 // 0 Y= 5 // 0SIZE_X=8180 // 8191 SIZE_Y=6130 // 6144I've forgotten the precise definition of the variables, but I think X and Y are the location of the upper left point of the window opening, and the SIZE values are the dimensions of the window. Reducing the SIZE allows the panel to fill the space. My numbers are not cast in stone. I just messed around with the numbers until it worked. I've done this for several panels and always use 5 for X and Y, then reduce the SIZE values by 10 or 15. Let us know if it works.Regards,JerryH