Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

Boston "STAR" runway question...

At KBOS, we have 2 sets of parallel runways 4/22, 15/33 and an odd runway 9/27.When I set up my "star" runways to make them all active I started with 4/22 and did my calculations up through 15/33, making 15L/R/33/L/R the last entries on the list. I also figured 9/27 into the caluculation so I did 4/22 up to 9/27, then started calculating from 9/27 up to 15/33. Not sure I should have done it this way as ATC assigns runways WITH the wind rather than against. Today winds were 223@12 and ATC assigned runways 4L/R through 15L/R which is opposite what it should be given the wind speed. I had set up this system backwards before making 4L/R the last entries or the 'determining' runways and the runway assignment was still backwards. Should I not have figured the odd runway into this and just calculate 4 through 15? I think dual sets of parallels might have to be figured differently.Thanks

> Today winds were 223@12 and ATC assigned runways 4L/R through 15L/R which is opposite what it should be given the wind speed.A quick look at my Afcad for KBOS gives me a true heading of 135.2 for 15R. 223 is within 90 degrees of that, barely, but still, so FS is right to assign it and its "parallel" friends.KBOS is a pain to get working right.

Mike...

Also remember that ATC groups runways by base and reciprocal ends, so you'll always have the potential for this when you use the star system.You stated that you previously had the 4/22's determining, well, if you had winds 040@XX, 15R would also be active, with a tailwind.See KORD for more examples of this.

Regards,

Brian Doney

right, I see that now. I just wasn't sure if I erred by including runway 9/27 into the calculation or just let it stand alone as an odd runway