Sign in to follow this  
Guest hoohah

Is Radar Contact 3 Worth While?

Guest ScottPilot

Hello!I was thinking about purchasing Radar Contact version 3 after reading the reviews about it.But before I shell out the $44 for it, could any of you who are using this program tell me what you think of it?Is it worth it? Are there any issues with the program. Does it slow down FS significantly?After using Radar Contact version 3, would you recommend it to others?And finally, does it greatly enhance the ATC experience of Flight Simulator?Thanks for your feedback!Scott :-)

Scott,Go the the Radar Contact Fourm here on AVSIM and ask the same questions. With thousands of copies sold, it should speak for itself. When you read the reviews here on AVSIM and FlightSim.Com you will get the independent views.From my very bias view, it is the greatest.Bob

Guest Andy_YXU

Number ONE thing I like about it is the extra options you have like descent/climb/emergencies etc.. etc.. not found in regular FS, look at their site they have some comperation table; depends on what kind of hardcore simmer you are you may either "love it" or find it "an OK" investment. I do not believe one would feel they wasted their money on it, support is very good also and works with Acive Weather/Meteo etc.I personally like it a lot only problems I really have with it is that it will not interact with AI aircraft (it will worn you of it though) and its autogenerated voices for other imaginary traffic are somewhat lower quality then those of FSATC, however there have been an improvement as far as the speach speed goes (they used to talk really slow like on drugs :-) ) but it has been fixed so the controlers sound better now so does the autogenerated voices.All in all I like it and I would recomend it, it does not lower perforamnce in FS2002 in any way I had in on P3-866 now I have it running on network putter while FS runs on my new, I have never had an isuee with it impacting the performance on FS2002.I would recomend it.Andy

I'd have to recommend it too.Is it a lot of money? Yeah. Is it a lot of fun? Heck yeah!It adds quite the experience that MS failed to capture. There's no telling what the new version (FS9) will bring in terms of ATC, but... the RC development crew put a lot of expertise in the program and that's what counts.You'll eventually get both sides of the story (those who hate it and those who love it). If you've got the duckets to spare, you won't regret it.Brad

Guest Tim13

If you are going to upgrade to "Century of Flight" in 3.5 months, then you may want to wait. The stock ATC is going to be upgraded and RC may not be needed. Also, there is the compatibility issue of whether or not the version you buy now will work with COF.Just a couple of thoughts.Tim13

Guest abent

If you do IFR flying, RC is a must IMO. FSATC pales in comparison. Example:Last night I did a flight from CYHZ(Halifax) to CYYZ(Toronto) in my DF737 with ActiveSky wxRE and Radar Contact.I created my flight plan in FS and then added a STAR into Toronto in my DreamFleet FMC.After receiving my ATIS report, I requested clearance. I was given my requested altitude and told to fly runway heading. After clearance, I contacted ground and requested push and start. I was cleared push and start. It was a fairly calm day and I wanted to save a few minutes, so I requested a closer runway and was granted my request and told to taxi to the new runway. During my clearance, I had been cleared to 6000 ft and after takeoff cleared to 12000ft. Radar Contact allows for realistic step climbs all the way to cruise altitude. Shortly after takeoff, I was told to contact departure and they gave me a couple vectors to get on course. I was also cleared to flight level 200. Shortly thereafter I was told to contact center which I did and was given a further climb to F230. Soon I was cleared to my cruise alt of FL350.I noticed some heavy cloud ahead, so I asked to deviate from course and was given permission. I notified Center when I was back on course.A bit later in the flight, I started to encounter some rough winds and a 92Kt headwind. I requested a lower altitude for calmer air. I requested FL330 and was granted it.During my flight as I passed into new control areas, I was assigned different squawk codes.I was given traffic warnings and occasionally asked to deviate course for traffic.As I approached my destination airport, I was given several nice step descents and speed restrictions to adhere to. About 80 miles from my destination, I was told that bad weather had slowed traffic down at the arrival airport and was asked if I wanted delay vectors or a holding pattern. I chose the hold. I was told to expect the details of the hold in a few minutes. Soon, I was given the hold instructions to hold 40 miles form YYZ VOR on radial 74 degrees 20 mile legs. You are given an option to select the leg lengths. Soon I told ATC that I was entering the hold. Shortly after that I was contacted and told to expect further clearance at XXXXzulu.Duringb my hold, I was given gradual step descents. After a while I was contacted and told that things were back to normal on the ground and was cleared out of the pattern and direct to YYZ. I requested a STAR into rwy 05 in Toronto and was granted it. I flew the STAR and was finally told to contact tower and was told I was #2. Soon I was cleared to land and the exit the runway, contact ground and taxi to my gate. Add all the great airport specific ATC chatter and it's quite an experience.I have only given you one example of RC's capabilities.I could never go back to FSATC now. I'm sure I've left out a few details.From what I've heard, COF ATC will be better than the ATC in FS2002,butI doubt it will be nearly as detailed and flexible as RC.Adam

I'm a long time user of Radar Contact and won't fly without it. Even so, I think it makes sense to wait until fscof is released before making your decision.Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]MyTraffic/Radar Contact/FSMeteo/FSSE/FSassist/FDC

Guest ScottPilot

Thank you all for your advice.I think I will give it a try!Scott :-)

Guest Gringo

Radar Contact will always be better than anything MS makes. You will not loose your money by buying now rather tnan wait until the new FS version comes out. I am sure The Radar contact people will come out with an update or patch as they did whe the switch from FS2k to FS 2k2.Radar contact is made by a wizard computer analyst and the head of the Menphis Center, so you can not go wrong with the reality of their ATC. RC is the only way to enjoy true ATC.Edmundo CardenasCaracas, Venezuela[table border=1 bgcolor=#eeeeee][tr][td rowspan=1]Proud pilot of [link:www.flymeridian.com]Meridian Airline][/bIt is better to be vaguely right than prescisely wrong.

Beware the pilot voices and the ATC voices are a little robotic sounding, but the canned background chatter is really good. I fly using Active Sky 1.6, RC3, and Lago's FS Maintenance, and it's a blast. Last night I got stuck holding short at Heathrow due to trafic, while flying in a Posky 767, Active Sky was kicking up a ton of turbulence and FS Maint was beeping like crazy as my plane was getting beat up. My fuel tank sprung a leak (thanks FSM) and I had to declare an emergency, received a direct vector to RWY 27L, and got down with a safe landing. Definately a great addon, plus it's nice to be able to step climb to alt, divert for weather, declare emergencies ect. One more thing, RC3 doesn't "control" AI traffic, but it does see it and will vector you around it as needed.

Scott, it would only be worth it if you do a lot of IFR flying.If your primary flying is VFR flight, the default ATC blows the doors away from RC3...not to mention the speech in RC3 is very "robotic" while the default voices sound very pleasant and realistic.Tony in Miami