Sign in to follow this  
Guest hoohah

Is Radar Contact 3 Worth While?

Guest ScottPilot

90% of my flying in FS is IFR.Scott :-)

"Blows the native ATC in FS2002 away"Yes, with one possible exception.FS2K ATC actually provides what I believe are realistic approach vectors to the ILS intercept. RC makes you fly a huge square pattern (downwind, base etc.) as if you were a student Cessna bashing the circuit. FS2K generally sends you directly to the place where you can intercept the the localiser at a 30 degree angle.Apart from that, RC is excellent.Chris HenryVive La France.

Guest RSmith

Great thread. This is what AVSIM forum's are all about. Helpful, entertaining, informative........ makes you "want to go fly" !!Waiting for delivery of my first new system in 3 years, and waiting for FSCOF. On my list of adds, prior to COF announcement, was a bunch of mesh, weather generator, and RC (concerns about managing technical use aspects)...... Guess we all wait for COF before we do more !Great post. RonKORL

Guest ScottPilot

Cool! I ordered it last night!Thanks to all the replies to this post!Scott :-)

Guest hoohah

After having a stack of addons for fs2000 that were largely useless for fs2k2 (and weren't going to be updated), I decided to place a strict price limit on any single addon that I'll buy in the future. I decided on half the price I paid for the sim, or US$35. Of course there may be cases where I'll relax this limit, but they must be of the most overwhelming nature. I got RCv3 for the upgrade price of $34 (just under the wire ;) ; but in the case of RCv3, I probably would have paid the $44.FS ATC is downright frustrating for IFR flying when you're experienced with RC. I doubt the patch..er..new version of MSFS will be enough of an improvement for me to ditch RC. Of course you can use both together, sort of. I do that most of the time and it takes more effort to read about how to do it than it takes in practice. I reccomend RC right up there with a good flight planner and weather generator - it adds alot to my enjoyment. -T Edwin (hoo)

Chris,Your points are well taken, but not all correct. If you take the standard vector approach you are correct. However you have two options in RCv3 which will prevent this. First you can ask for a short approach will will vector you in a much tigher pattern.The second which is very much real world is to ask for an IAP. Using this option, you ask for an instrument approach following a published STAR. This will put you into a very tight approach with the standard approach plates. You MUST have a published approach plate to fly this and it is a challenge to the FS pilot to fly. Try it is a real kick in the butt to fly.RCv3 is flexiable to any degree of skill that any MSFS pilot thinks they are at. If you "FU" that is your own problem. RCv3 is for real serious FS pilots and take your skill to the cockpit and go at it. (smile)Take a Chance and Fly itBob