Sign in to follow this  
Guest over and out

Computer Pilot Saitek review is a disservice

Guest over and out

I just finished reading Computer Pilot

The phantom issues were limited to the 47 series of serial #'s I believe...I personally had the issues, called Saitek, explained that I had thrown my box out, had no packing, no receipt, nothing and they sent a new one on their dime no questions asked. I packed the old one up, sent it back, again on their dime and was on my way in less that 10 business days from filing the complaint. Not a lot of Manufacturers will do that...Since then I have had nothing but joy and pleasure. Just my .02 as a customer because I haven't read the review but yes, I was affected by the issue, it was acknowledged, my device was replaced, Saitek absorbed all costs so I couldn't really ask for more.Not sure how much of the review should be on the past and not the current...Again, just my .02 and I would highly recommend Saitek and their products.-PPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 468X9.5 @ 4.45Asus Maximus Extreme2 gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 @1400Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest over and out

As I said I like the Saitek products. My issue with the CP review is that even though it is an older issue I think some people are still dealing with the software issue even with newer versions and there is still a chance that one could get an older system with problems, something the CP review degleted. I think the revew should have mentioned all this :).I can't wait to get mine, it should be here in a few days. I never flew with a yoke and I'm looking forward to it.

Guest over and out

Another thought,as you mentioned the 47 series were bad, this would be good info in the review for the reader to look out for, just in case they get an old one.My gripe is that the review should be there to help the reader make an informed decision and IMHO it was poor, and not up to standard for a flight sim magazine that costs $49.99 a year.And the timing of the review is suspect :-roll

Just my two cents.With the CH Products Yoke, we quickly learned FSUIPC was a better programming tool than the company software.Saitek is exactly the same - to no one's surprise.Anyone still dealing with issues has not been paying attention and trying to get their issues resolved.Though it is all to common in the FS community for people to refuse to listen to solutions and pound their heads against a brick wall because they don't want a solution, they want it to work their way.Finally, the magazine has some great and interesting articles - but I've never seen a product it did not like, provided that product was sold through the magazine shop.I have never though of it as a objective source of information, and in general that is the concensus I see around the various forums.Great writing in many articles, but I'd never, ever, expect an experienced simmer to buy anything based on a writeup in that magazine.

I do not recall the specific products, but I've seen the occasional negative criticism of products they sell. Many have a pro/con summary such if you want this it is not for you otherwise might be livable.I do agree they do not critique product support the way they should.The reviewers are sometimes contributing editors or free-lance authors and in most cases just receive the product from CP or the developer and go with it.I subscribe and will continue for their other excellent material.

Guest over and out

I agree, you have to do your research. Experienced simmers will know a lot. But there will always be people who are new to the hobby and not as familiar with the history of such things, who are looking for good information (we were all new at some point). Yes it's a learning process, but in this case the Computer Pilot review was uninformative, one does not learn that much about the product and what you might expect to happen in terms of potential bugs when you first use it.What would be the point of product reviews if everyone was so experienced that they already new so much about the product? It becomes meaningless at that point.Perhaps as a consumer I expect too much from a magazine, call me idealistic. I guess if Computer Pilot was only geared toward the "experienced" flight simmer then it wouldnt be a big deal. But I imagine they would like to get new people involved with the hobby.I'm suprised that "it is all to common in the FS community for people to refuse to listen to solutions and pound their heads against a brick wall because they don't want a solution" as you write? Not sure if that is true, but if it is, it's not an excuse for poor product reviews. I would think it was more common for people to want to find a solution so they can fly, why would anyone not want a solution? But this is off point, sorry :-hah

Guest over and out

I agree, they have some good articles.I have subscribed for several years. I have seen the "cons" in some of their reviews, but for the most part the reviews are not that critical, and I undersatnd this is to be expected in a commercial magazine that has adds for the same products they review, it's not uncommon practice. I just felt this Saitek review was very poor and should have been more informative about this particular product considering it's history.

>Another thought,>>as you mentioned the 47 series were bad, this would be good>info in the review for the reader to look out for, just in>case they get an old one.>>My gripe is that the review should be there to help the reader>make an informed decision and IMHO it was poor, and not up to>standard for a flight sim magazine that costs $49.99 a year.>>And the timing of the review is suspect >>:-roll I spent $53.00 on 5 beers an entree and some fries the other night. Gone, poof, dont even remember it.$49.00 sounds like a bargain to me. Not sticking up for the mag and I dont subscribe but just trying to keep things in perspective. $49.00 is nothing. ah, yes it is... > 10gals gas in US. silly me. LOL

Don't know how much experience the reviewer has with Saitek products. Saitek software has always been an issue. I bought an X45 when they first came out running on win98. At that time there were many X36 out there with gameport connections. Saitek USB drivers were somewhat suspect, and people had trouble with the SGE button programming software. When Win XP came out, Saitek were very slow in getting working drivers and programming software that worked. Many users went with some 3rd party drivers written by a guy named Dhauzimmer. Eventually the Win XP software SST became workable. I don't have one, but I think the Cyborg had a lot of driver problems. It seems like the same pattern of very slow software development has been a problem in Vista (I'm running SST on XP still). So I am not at all surprised that the Pro yoke / throttle is hampered by the Saitek software.scott s..

There is no chance of getting an old one with issues they have all been removed from circulation. -PPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 468X9.5 @ 4.45Asus Maximus Extreme2 gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 @1400Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest over and out

I agree, 50 bucks is not that much. But when you can get honest product reviews, great discussions like this one :), freeware, and great info at sites like AVSIM for free or for a small donation, $50 seems like a lot for what one gets from CP once a month.

Guest over and out

That would have been great info in the CP review if they actually tried to present some useful info to their readers :)The point is, many of the facts everyone is bringing up about the Saitek Yoke System in the response to my post could have been discussed in their review. The info in this Forum is free and useful, the CP review cost money and was very poor IMHO.

Oh no they havent! I have one thats awaiting exchange.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Im not sure about the saitek as i dont have it, but I really enjoy computer pilot, at 10$ canadian per issue, i really really enjoy it.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel.