Sign in to follow this  
Guest nihongo

Tornadoes in FS9?

Guest nihongo

I have the Northern Lights on an Atlantic Flight in FS9, but has anyone seen Tornadoes?I was just watching the huge Colorado Tornado a few days ago.

Tornados and hurricanes are not modeled in FS. Even with Activesky (the absolute best weather engine for FS9) unless the tornado is sitting right on top of a weather reporting station at the exact time that it reports the weather, you won't get tornadic winds since tornados are highly localized. There is no funnel cloud depiction but you will get regionilized CB and TS depictions and other severe weather phenomena associated with the hook echo.In the case of a hurricane you will get widespread winds and low barometer readings within the area of the hurricane, but you will not get an eyewall depiction or circulation or true representation of the hurricane.HTH,Mike T.

"but has anyone seen Tornadoes?I was just watching the huge Colorado Tornado a few days ago."I haven't and I am glad they aren't modeled by default in the sim.Being originally from the Midwest and having survived a couple of Tornadoes, including one which destroyed my brothers' school and caused considerable damage to our home, I don't see anything worthwhile about modeling this type of weather. I well remember the night of terror back in 1966 when a Tornado scored a direct hit on our home, and we were huddled in the basement.Tornadoes are neither beautiful nor a means of entertainment. They are deadly killers and don't discriminate between young and old, babies and seniors, man or animal. Regards,John

Guest nihongo

Flight Simulator is not entertainment John, and while I feel for your circumstance and the devastation caused by tornadoes, it will be correct to model it if we are to pursue real world aviation. What do you do when you see tornado warnings on your MET forecast? What do you do if flying near one? I am sure no one wants to, but do airlines in the US cancel flights on a mere 'warning' or only when one is spotted. It would be interesting to fly and receive a warning of tornado at destination and then dial up your alternate to avoid disaster.s I live in Australia I certainly am thankful that I am not exposed to the seasonal threat of tornadoes in the US, but I have been to the Midwest in November 1996, and I hve a deep affection for the US. Just because you don't want tornadoes to be modeled doesn't mean they shouldn't do them.Should FS-X be th limit, should we say Flight Simulation has gone far enough? What about Grand Theft Auto 4? Has it gone far enough?I personally would like a FULL flight simulator where I can have military and naval aviation and weather (including cloud shadows) accurately modeled.

Hi,First off, FS is a game, a hobby, something we do to have FUN. It is not a trainer, or a mirror of the real world. Sometimes we wish it was true, but it is not!Next, when users ask if tornadoes or hurricanes can be modeled in FS9 or 10, the general answer is yes they can. But then you need to ask, "what can be modeled?" Well, the weather data can be modeled and the physical effects of this data can be modeled. Can the visuals or the weather effects be modeled? No, they cannot.Let's look at this a bit more. What is a tornado? A very small concentration of high speed winds rotating around a point, moving across the ground. Can we represent the data? Yep, if that small area moves close enough to a weather station, we can show wind speed and gusts and directions. Can we show the effects of this data? Nope. What are the effects? Dirt and such being lifted off the ground. Structures being blown apart, either internally or externally. The funnel formed by this stuff? No, those are effects and are beyond the FS effects engine.Well, how about a hurricane? Again, the data can be used. Active Sky6.5 and ASX for FSX can gather that data and process it for FS. The rain, winds, and even the eye can be modeled. But what about the effects? Nope again, trees will not snap and break, bodies of water will not fill and overflow, houses will not be ripped apart.So can we model the data? Yes we can!Can we model the effects of the data? No we cannot. Remember this is a flight simulator, not a real life simulator!Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

"Flight Simulator is not entertainment John"To many it is--we each use it for our own purpose. I fly fixed wing and trikes in the real world, when I sit down at the sim it's to relax and practice navigation and occasionally, fly in multiplayer with several friends. There's no litmus test of how the sim should be used, but arguably we're enthusiasts here, and the average buyer is looking for entertainment. "but do airlines in the US cancel flights on a mere 'warning' or only when one is spotted."The mere threat of severe thunderstorms will ground a scheduled airline flight in the U.S.. This became especially true after that awful crash in Dallas caused by wind sheer some years back. In flight, aircraft divert from severe weather. I was on a commercial flight out of ORD with severe storms approaching from the west, our destination was Phoenix which would have taken us into the path of the storms. Rather than a ground delay, the flight took off as scheduled, then flew north to gain altitude, resuming course once we were over Green Bay, Wisconsin.A Tornado's effects are quite localized, but it's almost always found in a mesocyclone. A pilot should never be caught in one and I can't imagine the sim including them for the purposes of giving a few enthusuasts a FULL Simulator. If you fly anywhere near a Tornado to feel its effects in the real world, you're dead. Simple as that. Hurricanes can be simulated in the simulator by setting the winds at specific stations to reflect wind speed and direction you'd find in various quadrants of a hurricane. But the winds have to be manually set as during most real hurricanes, wind instruments tend to quit reading speed or become unreliable. Using real weather in the sim thus tends to mute the real experience of flying in a Hurricane. I find it a flying challenge to fly a simulated hurricane flight... That's a necessary part of aviation and it saves lives in the real world."I personally would like a FULL flight simulator where I can have military and naval aviation and weather (including cloud shadows) accurately modeled."Cloud shadows, still don't know why they can't be done. The mountains cast shadows in the sim. As for military and naval aviation, I'd love to see more of it in the sim. Glendale and Lake Pleasant, which I use for fixed wing and trikes respectively, are close to Luke and I have to respect its airspace. I wish I could have the sim better reflect the traffic around Luke. To a certain extent I can--I have recorded F16 traffic using Matthais' great recorder tool, which I can load and have run in a regular loop around Luke. That may be a way to help if you want to simulate flight around a military base or even a carrier.About once a year I have to mention something--much as some use MSFS for a serious purpose, it is still Microsoft Flight Simulator. Flight might mean dealing with the stresses of real world flying to some, or for others it's simply enjoying being above it all. Once Microsoft releases MSCS "Microsoft Cockpit Simulator" then I will bow out of these discussions. But otherwise I feel my opinion just as valid as any, I feel like I've established my bona fides in these forums.Regards,John

Hey, I've seen a tornado in FS9. I used a clip of it in an opening segment of a fightsim vid I made years ago. Can d/l hear in AVSIM library called 'Flightsim History - A Video Snapshot'. But you gotta look fast, it is right at the beginning ;)

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest nihongo

Sorry to inform you, those in real world flight have used it to practise flying and for me it is not a game. Jim, maybe IT IS A GAME for you, but that is your view, and only your view Sir. If I wanted a game I would fly Airline by Tyco, not very realistic but simple and FUN! A game is supposed to be fun. If FS is supposed to be fun the why don't we have fun things to do, like go back in your jet and throw misbehaving passengers out the side door? That would be fun.I think you have flight simulator confused with a game. Flight Simulator is the simulation of flight. Grand Theft Auto 4 IS a game and is meant to be fun while doing naughty stuff (which I disagree with).There are well documented cockpit builders replicating every part of a cockpit of a 747 and other Jets, and I don't think the are calling Flight Simulator a GAME. I disagree that FS is a game. I would like to inform you that it is a simulation, and used by th US Navy for the pilots.But if you think all simulators are games, then it is a game to train pilots in an airline simulator that costs several million dollars and requires a Captain of that type of aircraft to operate it from the outside while other pilots being paid to fly it, because as we know, airlines require a high standard of their pilots and find simulators are economical compared to the fuel costs since do a touch and go in a big jet isn't exactly a few hundred dollars in fuel alone. I personally have used FS to train for instrument flight and also brushing up on circuits. Basics are great to work on in FS and also you can practice complex tasks for higher level stuff if you really wanted to be Top Gun. With your comments I think possibly you don't have the experience I have in flying, or that of my utilizing FS for study/practical use in flight training etc.When I mentioned on an Australian Aviation forum (I was banned for my frankness) that we must be careful when taking advantage of enjoying cockpit rides (before 9/11), I was ignored. At least you can acknowledge that FS is a tool for those of us who train to be real world pilots.>Hi,>>First off, FS is a game, a hobby, something we do to have FUN.>It is not a trainer, or a mirror of the real world. Sometimes>we wish it was true, but it is not!>>Next, when users ask if tornadoes or hurricanes can be modeled>in FS9 or 10, the general answer is yes they can. But then you>need to ask, "what can be modeled?" Well, the weather data can>be modeled and the physical effects of this data can be>modeled. Can the visuals or the weather effects be modeled?>No, they cannot.>>Let's look at this a bit more. What is a tornado? A very small>concentration of high speed winds rotating around a point,>moving across the ground. Can we represent the data? Yep, if>that small area moves close enough to a weather station, we>can show wind speed and gusts and directions. Can we show the>effects of this data? Nope. What are the effects? Dirt and>such being lifted off the ground. Structures being blown>apart, either internally or externally. The funnel formed by>this stuff? No, those are effects and are beyond the FS>effects engine.>>Well, how about a hurricane? Again, the data can be used.>Active Sky6.5 and ASX for FSX can gather that data and process>it for FS. The rain, winds, and even the eye can be modeled.>But what about the effects? Nope again, trees will not snap>and break, bodies of water will not fill and overflow, houses>will not be ripped apart.>>So can we model the data? Yes we can!>>Can we model the effects of the data? No we cannot. Remember>this is a flight simulator, not a real life simulator!>>Thanks,>Jim>>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/

Guest nihongo

Thanks for your suggestions. I would love to see cold fronts simulated in FS as well.

Guest nihongo

Good writing John and thanks for the inform. I may be wrong, but from a distance in one of the videos on YouT*be it might have been safely filmed from an aircraft, I may be wrong....I am using FS to brush up on my ILS approaches on 737-757 and 777s. For me the more real the better.In FSX you can go into space right, and you can see the clouds from space?I was thrilled when I saw the Northern Lights in FS9. I wonder what other surprises lay in the sim.BTW, you would like to simulate military operations in the sim, like I would, such as being in the Air Force of Navy and being able to shoot down intruders or vice versa? Also bomb land targets etc. I suppose smart bombs could also be simulated and radar and stealth etc etc etc. Of course, FS might just build the capability in to the sim, with pay ware or a full military addon which builds onto the sim (but already engine capable).

Guest nihongo

Cool I saw it. What version of FS is it??????

I have a scenery addon for Mobile Bay. I beleive it's called Mobile Redux. This scenery has a waterspout (almost the same as a Tornado, isn't it?) spinning around outside of the Barrier Islands. Uncomfortably close to the Oil Platforms. And Guys, this program can be fun or serious. It's what you make of it. If I didn't enjoy it, i wouldn't be using (Or playing) with it.Bill *:-*

Guest nihongo

Good call Bill, Fun or serious. I enjoy the scenic flights, but like to think when navigating through cloud and making sure I fly by instruments.

yeah im about to do a Tornadoes exposition in my school in one week , and it would be kinda cool to show a video recorded in my fs9 showing how a plane avoid a big Tornado , or something.but when i search tornado for fs9 , theres only the plane . any donwload link to special effects of nature for fs 9 ?

edit: freeware , cuz im from venezuela

Edited by esdaniel