Sign in to follow this  
Guest Trankan

Problem with stuttering

Guest Trankan

Hi!I recently installed FS9 on my new laptop, and with both add-ons installed and all settings set to the highest, I get 25 FPS locked at 25. But when I choose a bad weather with rain and overcast or fly fast near the ground, stutters appear. Sometimes the FPS goes down a bit, sometimes I experience stuttering with no change in the FPS. I was thinking about changing the values of TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT and TextureMaxLoad in FS9.cfg, but I'm not sure how to use these settings. Do anyone here know what might be good for my computer? Also, I was wondering if there are any other tweaks that might reduce the stuttering? In the weather tab, I have the 3D clouds set to 100% and the rest to the lowest.Intel Core 2 Duo T7500Windows Vista Home Premium4096 MB RAMNVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS 256 MB

The framerates drop on my system too. I was disappointed getting such a fast machine and still have problems. I replaced my cloud textures with low res clouds and the problem is gone. I am using "cloudfix_v3" from the library here. So far, so good. I am not a cloud watcher but I do fly with real weather. The low res textures have not bothered me yet. Not quite as pretty, but I hate the framerate drop the default clouds gave me.Dolph

Guest Trankan

Unfortunately I don't think it's a good idea for me to use the cloudfix since I'm using AS, but thanks for the answer anyway!Besides the normal stuttering that appears sometimes, I have experienced another problem. Just when I'm about to touch-down, a stutter appear. I think it's because of that the sound has to be loaded. I read somewhere in this forum that you could cache this sound in the beginning of the flight to prevent stuttering at touch-down, but I never got exactly how to do it. Do anyone here know about this?Also, I downloaded the latest drivers for my graphic card yesterday. The AA in FS9 stopped working, so I thought that I should delete the existing profile for FS9 and create a new one. I use nHancer to do this, but the program told me that this could not be done since the profile contained settings predefined by nVidia. I would really like my AA back again, so my last question is if this problem can be solved?

Oh, I see. Well, I use Active Sky as well, just not the Active Sky graphics as even the smallest Active Sky Graphics cloud files still gave me the hiccups. These replacements still work with Active Sky in case you were wondering. Oh well, hope you find a good workable solution. Dolph

Try the "Refresh Scenery" command. Works well for me when I notice declining FPS- espec prior to landing. System pauses for 3-4 secs, then restores full blast. I have this command mapped to the Pause/Break key for convenience.Alex Reid

Guest Trankan

Thanks everybody for taking time to answer!belga1, the tip you gave me should work normally, but the problem is that since I installed the new drivers I can't delete profiles via nHancer anymore. If anyone knows how to solve this I would really appreciate it.january, I think it would destroy a little of the feeling if everything stopped for a couple of seconds, at least for me. I thought caching the sound in the beginning of the flight sounded great, but unfortunately I don't know how to do that.

Hi,Go to this link it will solve your nhancer profile problem.file:///C:/01%20Flightsim/Nviia%20-%20Nhancer%20Profil%20Setting/showthread.php.htmThird post down by greggerm.RegardsPeter

Trankan- At age 76, a momentary pause to collect one's wits before turning final is not entirely unwelome!More seriously- I assume a slowly declining frame rate is fairly common. Presumably it is a normal phenomenon- else why would MS offer "Refresh Scenery" as a standard command?I see an FPS decline NOT on a regular basis- but typically when turning into an area of more dense scenery- either airborne or taxiing. I generally "Refresh" routinely as prep for landing. Doubt if it is RAM related- I have 2GB but GPU memory is only 128MB each card. (2 GeForceFX5200 cards driving 3 monitors/triple views.)Alex Reid

Guest Trankan

The AA is back now, and I think that the problem with the stutter at touch-down is solved too. Anyway, I noticed a large amount of stuttering today when I was in the air. The FPS didn't change at all, which made me a little confused. I think that the stuttering had to do with the clouds, but if the graphic card had problems with rendering them, why didn't the FPS reduce?

Set your Texture bandwidth mult to 400 repeat 400 and see the results. You might look at the Max fps setting also: set it to unlimited & check the results (I believe you already are locking fps at 25). Pierre

Pierre

Guest Trankan

I have now discovered another very annoying problem. Besides the stutter at touch-down there is for example also a stutter before the rumble if I fly in a thunderstorm. It seems like almost all sounds causes a stutter when they are loaded. Does anyone have the same problem?