Sign in to follow this  
Guest kurtj

Antivirus and FS9/FSX

Guest kurtj

I am thinking about dumping Norton Internet Security 2006 for NOD32 or any other recommendations that you might have. I feel that I should get better performance on FS9 by doing this hopefully. My subscription is running out in a month on NIS2006. What I am concerned about is the uninstalling NIS2006. I will use the Norton Removal Tool to do this, but how much of it is still in the registry? Where do you find it in the registry? I hope doing this wouldn't effect FS9 in anyway because I do have quite a few addons for it. Is there anyone that has tried removing Norton products in this forum? Does it cause trouble with FS9/FSX?Any info would be great. Thank You,Kurt.

Guest retard_retard_retard

If you're serious about having a flight sim that runs well then you should have fs installed on a seperate hard drive under a second windows installation which runs no anti virus/anti spyware or any unnessesary processes. You only need 30 gigs or so for fs2004 with loads of addons so if you dont already have an old hard drive lying around then it will be very very cheap to pick one up. Not only will fs run so much better by doing this, but you wont have the constant worry that maybe your anti virus ect might be slowing it down!Asus Striker Extreme 680i SLICore2Duo E6600 OC'd - 3.2GhzCorsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2Nvidia 8800GTS x2 SLI OC'd - 651/1051Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000RPMSeagate 500GB WD 7200RPM RAID 0CoolIT Freezone Elite TEC/Chiller CPU Cooling Unit2 Samsung SM226BW 22" DualviewWindows Vista Ultimate 32bitSaitek x45 controlsBig Visa bill

Kurt,Any move away from Norton is going to benefit you tremendously. Most will agree here. ...and if no-one else says it, I will - take this opportunity to do a complete reinstall of everything. You won't regret it. Forget messing around with removal tools. Just bin it all.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I'm using ESET Nod32 with no visible problems. It is much better than Norton or McAfee.

Guest ThrottleUp

Any move away from Norton is going to benefit you tremendously. Most will agree here. I agree totally. I use the freeware AVG now and it has served me very well!

Ditto. AVG version 8 (free) is the shiz!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Been using AVG (free) for several years- quite happy. But has anyone noticed programme loading time seems to have increased with 8.0?Alex Reid

Kurt:I swear by Kaspersky Internet Security (or AV). It makes no difference whether its enabled or disabled while running any programs there is absolutely no perfomance difference and it is has a great detection rate for AV, malware,spyware,malicious code on your computer and websites. Not to mention it has a very low false positive rate...given all the anti-piracy crap included in most addons.It has a 30 day demo, give it a try at www.kaspersky.com. Last time I checked it has the highest rated AV proggie, but it is not free. (You DO get what you pay for in this case).Mike T.

I'm with Bill.W.I have been using NOD32 by ESET for two years now, and I have tried ALL of them, and I like this one the most.Easy to use, and a very low footprint considering the security it gives.They are far more pro-active than most AV's as well, they have definition up-dates regularly, and don't wait till a baddie gets out before finding a definition to fix it.

I switched to Kaspersky a couple of years ago and I'll never use another AV. As Mike said, there is absolutely no difference in frame rates with it active or disabled. It's not a resource hog like most AV programs. And it alerted me to programs that were accessing the internet without my knowledge. The only problem I've ever had with it is that for some reason I do have to disable it before using a plane with a RealityXP GPS gauge installed. There's probably an easy fix that I haven't found but temporarily disabling Kaspersky is easy as well. I definitely recommend it.

With XP, don't forget to do a system restore point just before removing Norton because you might have to bring it back, want to or not!I run NOD32 (pay) and Spybot (free) together, doesn't make a bit of difference when disabling either or both in FS and IL2, so I keep them both going all the time.Every system is different!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Guest kurtj

Thank you all. I see that NOD32 is a download version with the optional CD-Backup. I guess that is okay. I was wondering if it blocks avsim downloads or not. I heard that NIS 2008 did which is one of the reasons, besides slow performance that I am dumping Norton.

Guest belga1

Hi,I was wondering if it blocks avsim downloads or notDon't confuse antivirus and firewall..A antivirus will never block a download or block a application who try to connect to internet..A firewall may do (depending of the setting of the permissions)Cheers.