Sign in to follow this  
Guest JamesJ

8x AGP

Guest JamesJ

Checking prices on a GeForce4 TI4600 card on pricewatch, cards without 8xAGP start at $188 US, while the first 8xAGP card is $233. I've seen several posts that indicate 8x is actually slower than 4x, so my question is, should I go with 4x? JamesJ

Unfortunately, not a single game out there even comes close to saturating the AGP bus. So honestly, no you don't need 8X. It is possible that sometime in the future of course that we'll have software to take advantage, but by then the GF4 will be no more than a relic most likely. If I were you, and you really would like to go with nVidia, wait for the FX5600, reasonable price/perfomance, and DX9 capable. Or, go with a Radeon 9500. I understand that you probably don't want to pay a ton for a card, so know that there are budget versions of the GFFX 5800/Radeon9700 available. With further realeases from ATI on the way, I guess I'll have to be the broken record here and say go for the ATI. Just my opinion.

Guest JamesJ

thanks for the reply,sir, maybe I'll wait..JamesJ