Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

Want just a little more oomph from your PC?

For those of you who take the trouble to make your fs9.exe process high priority in Task Mangler like I do just before takeoff - I found a neat little utility that will do it for you. In fact, it will make whichever window you have up the high priority task. I.E. when you switch windows, it makes the new window "High" priority and the one you just left is demoted to "Normal" priority. I have scanned the file with AVG and have tested it both at work and here on my home PC and have found no issues. Free at http://www.tucows.com/preview/428031Works on XP and Vista. It is only 1.8MB in size and stays in your tray. Right click the icon for options. Dolph

Interesting little program -I have tried it but am wondering if it really does anything as even tho I have it set to HIGH, when I check the setting in Task Manager it shows the priority still at Normal.Any thoughts?

I have been using this .bat file to start fs9 for a while now. Just enter in a text file start /high fs9.exeand save it as a .bat file. Put it in your main flight simulator 9 folder and save a shortcut to your desktop. Use the fs9.bat shortcut to start flight sim in high priority every time. I take no credit for this as I got this tip from these forums quite some time ago.Maurice

That batch idea is a good one too. Opa, it does speed up my fs9 flight loading time noticeably. I had my doubts too but I can sometimes catch a program at high then switch windows and see that the first one is normal again so I'm pretty sure it's changing priorities. It makes menus faster within the flight as well. I doubt it does anything for framerates but what it "might" do is allow the background threads such as ATC work a little better. Dunno. YMMV as we used to say.It also took my sluggish surfing laptop to a new level.My next step is to take a chance and overclock my FSB to get about 800MHz more out of my Q6600. I found a webpage that give instructions but I'm kind of reluctant due to possible chip loss. Paranoia strikes again.Dell XPS420, Q6600, 3GB, nVidia 8600 GTS, CHPro pedals, stick and throttle, Active sky, much more...

The Bat idea works like a charm and the Task Manager now does show FS9 as running at HIGH priority.Thanks for the tip.

The batch idea is probably better for sim purposes since when you switch from FS to windows for just a moment the sim will remain high priority while you are away. Then again, if the task u r working on while away performs quickly you can get back to the sim sooner. 8^) Thanks for making me think about it...Dell XPS420, Q6600, 3GB, nVidia 8600 GTS, CHPro pedals, stick and throttle, Active sky, much more...

Guest melf12

Hi Maurice, what was the attachment, it didn't show up when I clicked on it?Ken

>I have been using this .bat file to start fs9 for a while>now. Just enter in a text file >> start /high fs9.exe>>and save it as a .bat file. Put it in your main flight>simulator 9 folder and save a shortcut to your desktop. Use>the fs9.bat shortcut to start flight sim in high priority>every time. I take no credit for this as I got this tip from>these forums quite some time ago.>>MauriceMaurice, can you take me through this process, please ? I'm not that computer savvy.>Thanks,Jack>

Not knowing when Maurice will stop by again, here is the process in a little more detail:Navigate to your main Flight Simulator folder (the one which has all of the subfolders for Aircraft, Addon Scenery and so on).Right Click on an empty space and select New from the Menu which will display and then select Text Document.Copy the following line and Paste it into that New text document:start /high fs9.exeNow Save what you have done using the Save As command - naming the file StartFS2004High.batAlternatively, you can just save the file and then rename it afterword. The key thing is to change the extension to .batNow Right Click on that bat file and select Create Shortcut. That will create a Shortcut to the bat file.Copy or Move this shortcut to your desktop. When I put it on my Desktop I renamed the shortcut to read Start FS2004 High.If you have done all this, when you now click on the Start FS2004 High shortcut (or whatever you may have named it) FS2004 should start and start with HIGH priority.Hope you can follow these instructions without too much trouble.

Thanks much, Opa. I'll give it a try.Jack

Guest RonB49

Has anyone tried running "start /high fs9.exe" from Fsautostart? R-

Since FSAutostart is setup to run FS9.exe automatically, I doubt it can be changed to call the bat file instead.You can pose the question at Ken Salter's forum though if you wish.http://kensalter.com/software/

If you want to get a little bit "fancy", try REPLACING what you have in the bat file with these lines (copied exactly):@echo offclsecho -echo -echo -echo -echo **** "This will start FS2004 with HIGH priority" ****echo -echo -echo -@echo offpausestart /high fs9.exe---------------- (do not include this)Then when you use the Start High shortcut, you will get a DOS screen which displays the message in quotes above and then waits for you to press any key to continue.You can abort it by clicking on the X at the top right of the DOS window (just like you can close any normal window)This can be useful as it provides a moment for you to check to see if you have closed any other programs such as your e-mail before starting up FS2004 and/or you can change your mind and not start FS2004 at all (useful if the wife just called you to dinner).EDIT added:To change what is in your bat file, Right click on it and select the EDIT option (NOT the Run option). That should open it with Notepad so you can edit to your hearts content. Be sure to save your work when done.

Jeez, this is great! I just used the .bat file with pause feature Opa suggested, and it seems (SEEMS, mind you) that I don't have any blurries and my frame rates haven't budge off my locked 24.Is that possible?? Or just wishful thinking on my part that something so simple could make such a big impact?