Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

Want just a little more oomph from your PC?

An fps increase, or at least a decrease in micro-pauses, is very likely since all the FS9 threads (ATC, and especially everything the processor does to ship data over the PCI bus to the graphics memory, etc.) have complete control of the processor's time now instead of sharing it with Window's task threads. The program with high priority gets all of it, whenever it needs it. Of course, those other threads do eventually get their time, but FS9 comes first. This makes complete sense to me. This is why setting priority to "Realtime" is not a good idea. That makes Windows itself unstable because then it may not even get the small slices of time it needs to do it's many, many, background tasks.There was a discussion related to this some time ago here and on some other forums and I think the outcome was that it is a good thing to set the priority to high. Affinity was also discussed but I don't want to go there. Actually, you can write data to fs9.exe to make it start ITSELF in high priority and set the infinity without the need of a .bat file. That is true for any executable program. But if you have everything set to run high priority I guess you are back to where you started from. Oh well.Me? I will stick with this program that switches the priority to high on the window I'm in. That way, only one process has high priority, the one that is serving me at the time. I am into responsiveness and this seems to do the trick. That was the point of this post. As I said before, it made a very noticeable improvement in my laptop's performance. By the way, there are several other programs, free ones, that also do the priority switching like the one I started this thread talking about. But they also do other things that I don't need and, therefore, take more space in memory. This one is small and that's why I like it.

When I try to save it as a .bat file, it only gives me the option for save as text file or all files.-Jeremy

Go to the drop down box in the save file as box and select "all files". Then save the file with a .bat extension. Or, if you've already saved it as a .txt file, just right click on the file, select "rename", and the just change the .txt to .bat.Hope this helps.

Got it, thanks. I would swear that just gave me an extra few FPS. Am I correct in assuming that setting FS9 to real time would invite troubles?-Jeremy

Hi Gang.This seems very very interesting, but I am a little confused.Doesn't Ken Salters FSAutostart already have an option to start the Sim for you in High Priority mode.Please let me know what you think.ThanksSteve.

Yes, I believe it would be inviting trouble. You then starve windows of it's time slices. Please read my post a few above, first paragraph.I had a CTD tonight landing at KSPR after a 400 mile trip. That bothers me so I am flying the same flight in normal priority to see if that has anything to do with it.D.

Yep, that sucks. I was heading for Atlanta from Kuwait City in the PSS 777-300ER and got a CTD about a half hour from touchdown....nice. After having to reformat my hard drive twice in the past two months, I think I'll just leave that real time stuff alone.-Jeremy

Hi Dolph.I just did a small test, I did not do a flight just yet but did a start up test.I followed the instructions to the letter and made the ,bat file and the short cut etc, and then started FS9.1.Everything went well etc, but then I closed the program and opened my FS Autostart program and set the process to High in there and saved it.Then I started FS9.1 as I usually do with Kens program and actually thought it started somewhat faster using this instead.Do you have any thoughts on this, or am I doing something wrong or missing something.Thanks again.Steve,

I use the "End-it-All" program. Any comments with using the two combined?

My experience has been that anything you can do to free up more resources for the sim is worth doing.Shutting down unnecessary services using EndIt All or FSAutostart is a good idea (in my opinion) and you may also wish to create a Boot profile which you would use when you are going to be simming only.The following link will take you to the Tutorial I wrote several years ago on that subject. It is easy to do and makes a considerable difference on my setup.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=SearchHope this is useful.

Thanks for the instructions, Opa. The problem I'm having is the Save as.. command won't come up and simply saving doesn't seem to work. I admit to being batch file challenged.Bob

>My experience has been that anything you can do to free up>more resources for the sim is worth doing.>>Shutting down unnecessary services using EndIt All or>FSAutostart is a good idea (in my opinion) and you may also>wish to create a Boot profile which you would use when you are>going to be simming only.>>The following link will take you to the Tutorial I wrote>several years ago on that subject. It is easy to do and makes>a considerable difference on my setup.>>http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=Search>>Hope this is useful.>>>>Not knowing when Maurice will stop by again, here is the process in a little more detail:Navigate to your main Flight Simulator folder (the one which has all of the subfolders for Aircraft, Addon Scenery and so on).Right Click on an empty space and select New from the Menu which will display and then select Text Document.Copy the following line and Paste it into that New text document:start /high fs9.exeNow Save what you have done using the Save As command - naming the file StartFS2004High.batAlternatively, you can just save the file and then rename it afterword. The key thing is to change the extension to .batNow Right Click on that bat file and select Create Shortcut. That will create a Shortcut to the bat file.Copy or Move this shortcut to your desktop. When I put it on my Desktop I renamed the shortcut to read Start FS2004 High.If you have done all this, when you now click on the Start FS2004 High shortcut (or whatever you may have named it) FS2004 should start and start with HIGH priority.Hope you can follow these instructions without too much trouble.David "Opa" MarshallIn reply to the previous poster further up the thread about the missing attachment I don't know why it showed up like that as i didn't send any attachments to my original post. Anyway a thank you to Dave for explaining the procedure in more detail. I also use Enditall with the batch file and do notice enough of a decrease in stutters with my frame rate locked at 35.Maurice

>Thanks for the instructions, Opa. The problem I'm having is>the Save as.. command won't come up and simply saving doesn't>seem to work. I admit to being batch file challenged.>>BobThen just save it - it will have a txt extension.Then right click on that file and select rename. Rename it using a bat extension rather than the txt extension.If you need to edit the resulting bat file, right click on it and select the Edit (not the Run) option. That will open it it Notepad and you can edit as needed. When you save it this time, it will be saved with the bat extension.Hope that clarifies things for you.PS: See an earlier post where I suggest a way to enhance the bat file.

FlightSim Manager also allows you to load high. It also has reclaim and defrag system RAM option, but if I remember correctly it is limited to the amount of RAM that it is capable of reclaiming.Tom

Hi Maurice,What should I call the file? Just something like "FS9.bat" ? Or does it not matter?Thanks,