Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Found possible fix for weird effects from nVidia anti aliaising !

I've spent a week looking mighty hard and wide for a fix for weird stuff that kept occurring in my PMDG 747-400 such as split screens, ghost panels, and such like. These occurred when flying in the VC and using 2-D pop-up panels such as the FMC and radio pedestal, etc.The effects started to spread into other aircraft when using FSNavigator more recently which was VERY weird and annoying.I don't know for sure what caused this to start happening after years of happy simming with FSAA and using the SAME nVidia drivers, 91.47 with my eVGA 7900 GTO card. I thought it might be the PMDG fix V1.2 for the 747-400 but it might not have been the cause. Maybe it was the PSS 777 installation? Or nothing at all....?!Anyway, the fix I found that so far works consistently is going from my usual windowed mode into full screen mode for a moment or two during the flight when split screens appear and then straight back into windowed mode to continue flying. On my sim PC going into full screen seems to turn off FSAA for some strange reason and perhaps also "re-sets" the screens so that the weird effects described above disappear and all is well.Works for me. Hope it helps anybody else having annoying visuals in the sim.Cheers,JS

Further proof we simmers are a diligent bunch. Tracking down a wayward DLL or doing this to fix that and so on.It's almost as much a part of the hobby as flying these days ;)

I have an opinion on this - your trick, in effect, forces a flush of memory on your video card and thus allows it to be refilled with fresh, organized data thereby "cleaning house". Mapping the "refresh scenery" key assignment to Pause/Break has the same effect for my system. I fly in full screen mode because I don't like the menu bar at the top of my screen. Plus, my video card has a higher framerate in full screen, or so it seems.I am going to try your trick on my next long flight because I seem to be getting CTDs toward the end of my longer flights lately. And it doesn't matter if I use time acceleration or not. I think it's the amount of data going in and out of memory over the hundreds of miles traveled and not time related. Still watching...

Just a brief comment regarding the Menu bar you mentioned:I fly in windowed mode rather than full screen as it seems to yield better FR for me.To achieve an "almost full screen" look, I have the auto-hide option hiding the task bar at the bottom and on the FS screen I have right clicked on the screen and then clicked on the "hide menu bar" option.That just leaves the small blue bar at the top with the ever present reminder that Bill Gates is watching.When I need the Menu bar, hitting Alt will restore it. Alt again and it will dissapear.For what it may be worth, that is how I have mine setup.

Indeed! Thus has come into being my favorite rejoinder on many a phone call and email between me and sim colleagues: "The things we do for FS...!"JSP.S. When things don't work out, I usually have this tag under my signature "Technology will kill us all." (Trademarked, of course!)

No they don't have a OOM msg box. The screen just goes black and about 20 seconds later the message that FS has had an error and is shutting down, then another that FSS9 is restarting. I can't say this is OOM or something else really. It is starting to torque me off. I fly FSEconomy and a lot of my flights are 400 nm or more since that's where the money is. This is happening more and more. I just last week did a reinstall and upgraded it minimally with GE2006 and NURoads and the airport textures. That's it. I will try it again when time permits.See profile for system specs...

What is your error caused by? Hitting details will tell you.It's a better way to get to the root of the problem if you know what is causing the CTD's.