Sign in to follow this  
Kyle Schurb

Disabling AI Aircraft in Selection Menu

Hi all,As listed in the title, I am trying to find a way if possible, to disable AI aircraft from appearing in the Aircraft Selection Screen basically to clear up my FS and prevent unnecessary clutter.For some reason, I vaguely remember viewing somewhere that you were able to do this by editing the .air file, but cannot remember what or where and if it even was possible.I would obviously like to keep my AI Aircraft so they work in the sim and load and everything, but I don't want to have to scroll through constant sub-menus and have them load for no reason if I don't want to fly them.A lot of them don't show up in the Selection Screen so I know it must be possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thank you!- Kyle

Best Regards,
Kyle Schurb
Developer of Virtual Cockpits, Sceneries, and Liveries.
Instrument-Rated Commercial Pilot AMEL, CFI/CFII/MEI

Very simple:To hide individual aircraft use the program called AirEd - aired152_update806.zip - here in the library.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=SearchYou want to edit line 105 (it will be near the top). Changing the value to 2 (instead of 0) will keep the aircaft from displaying.To edit many AI aircraft, use the program called bbqhideai.zip - also here in the library. This program uses the batch processing concept which makes editing many AI aircraft air files much quicker.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=SearchHope this helps.

Great! Thank you for the quick and helpful response!EDIT: Figures, the BBQAI exe file crashes whenever I load it, so I cannot use it for whatever reasons.

Best Regards,
Kyle Schurb
Developer of Virtual Cockpits, Sceneries, and Liveries.
Instrument-Rated Commercial Pilot AMEL, CFI/CFII/MEI

>Great! Thank you for the quick and helpful response!>>EDIT: Figures, the BBQAI exe file crashes whenever I load it,>so I cannot use it for whatever reasons.Sorry to hear that - It has worked fine for me - with XP as my operating system.While you are "cleaning house" you may want to consider a couple of other ideas which I employ.These apply to "dedicated" AI aircraft ONLY - ones which you will never fly.1. I rename the AI aircraft folder in question so it starts with AI-.Example: If the AI aicraft folder was originally named Beechcraft 1900D, I would rename it to AI-Beechcraft 1900D.That places all of my "dedicated" AI aircraft at the top of my aircraft list when I am viewing them by navigating to my aircraft folder.If they are associated with a partiular airport only, I sometimes will include the ICAO code in the name - example: AI-KDAL-Beechcraft 1900DNote: Addon AI packages from Project AI or World of AI will have their aircraft folders named starting with PAI or WOA so that also makes them easier to find quickly when viewing your aircraft folder.2. Dedicated AI aircraft use neither a Sound or Panel subfolder so if any of yours have either subfolder, they can be safely deleted. That frees up a bit of disk space and potentially allows dedicated AI aircraft to load a bit faster.Edit added: You need not be concerned about renaming dedicated AI aircraft folders. Traffic files only seek a match in the title= lines of aircraft so as long as you do change the title= lines, the aircraft folder can have any name you wish.Hope these additional thoughts are helpful.

Try FS Aircraft Typer, fsat10.zip over at FlightSim.com. It's what I use, very simple, does the job.

Mike...

I just tried to install it - the installation interface in German was not at all helpful - but in any case it just refused to install on my XP system.The concept looks good in the pictures though.Too bad, I always like to audtion good utilities.

Guest LeeWang

>1. I rename the AI aircraft folder in question so it starts>with AI-.>Example: If the AI aircraft folder was originally named>Beechcraft 1900D, I would rename it to AI-Beechcraft 1900D.>>That places all of my "dedicated" AI aircraft at the top of my>aircraft list when I am viewing them by navigating to my>aircraft folder.Excellent Tip, and I do the same thing...Using AirEd to edit the airfile, to hide your AI is a "Must". However, if you're like me, I add AI all the time, and like to confirm I've added the AI plane correctly, and like to be able to select it in FS9 too (after adding it).What I've done, is create two airfiles for all my AI aircraft. One airfile allows me to "see" it in the selection window of FS9, the other one does not. This way, a quick name change of the airfile, allows me to view a newly added AI aircraft. After I'm finshed adding the AI, I move the airfile (that hides it from FS9) back into the aircraft folder.Lee

Unzip everything to a temp folder and run setup.exeWilkommen... --> OKVerzeichnis = Install path (change is optional)Then click on the icon, not on the Setup beenden (exit setup) button!Programmgruppe w

Mike...

Tried it again - using your instructions.It did go thru the install routine this time (it had simply frozen before) - but it wanted to install older versions of some files and I did not allow that.I ran the program and asked it to change a couple of sample air files.The screen did show they had been changed from aircraft to non-flyable etc. but when looking at the actual air file with AirEd, nothing had been changed.So at this point it is only useful to me to review the settings of my installed aircraft.Edit added:NEVER MIND -It does work - I just had not seen the WRITE function!Cool program.Just wish the install routine was in English.

> It does work - I just had not seen the WRITE function!LOL! That happened to me as well in the beginning. You can also select multiple aircraft and then batch change them.

Mike...

The most complete Utility that does it all is Thomas Molitor's AITMIt backs up all Aircraft .cfg, .air and Model.mdl's before making any changes to AI cfg data, non-flyable AI tag data and radius values. The main purpose for AITM is actually a Utility to check all AI against installed Flightplans and correct issues that are very hard to find.http://www.molitor-home.de/fs/Downloads.html