Sign in to follow this  
Guest abz

Window vs nonwindow mode Vista vs XP Pro FS2004

Guest abz

I just installed FS2004 on my new Vista PC. When I open FS, it opens in a non-windowed mode. On my previous PC which has XP Pro, when I open FS 2004, it opens in a windowed mode. Is this the way FS2004 is supposed to open with Vista? Can this be changed? I am completely brand new to Vista. I do have SP1 installed. Thanks, Al

Guest XQ-NUE

Hello,Attention! On most Vista Systems the windows mode let drop the fps in a big way! Normally window mode should be more fps friendly but at most vista users (so I am) the none-window mode increases the fps and the window mode drops them almost 50%!So their is no need anymore to fly in window mode

Guest abz

Thank you but my question is why does FS 2004 with Vista start up in non-windowed mode whereas XP Pro starts up in windowed mode? Certainly the operating system does not know about the FPS issue. Also I am using my PC in a different way than most. I have a few monitors and want to un-dock some of the sub-windows onto the other monitors. You need to be in window mode to do this. Thanks again, Al

AlAre you exiting FS in window mode? Sometimes I exit FS in full screen mode because I forget to return to window mode for start up. I

If you auto-hide the task bar with FS in windowed mode, you get your 50% FPS back. Try it!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest abz

Daryl: Thanks. Well it does seem that if I exit in a window mode, it restarts like that. So for now that seems to be OK. However, I am still having some difficulty in undocking windows. I fly with several monitors and I have always (with my XPPro PC) opened all the additional instruments in their own window and then undocked them and moved them to my other monitors. This way I do not have to always click on my instruments to open and see them. They are always there. If I save a flight like this in Vista, it will not reopen the same way. With my XPPro PC, this always worked perfect. Are their tricks with undocking in Vista compared to XPPro? Al

I'll second Gary's suggestion re Task Bar auto hide. Why not also auto hide the Menu Bar? You didn't say if you were displaying additional VIEWS on your secondary monitors. The wider horizon with multiple views will completely change how you fly- I rate multiple views as THE #1 Add On!Alex Reid

Guest abz

Well I am happy to report that I was told (from the developer of the Wideview program and moderator of his forum) how to correct the problem I had with docking and undocking windows on FS with Vista. It was the fact that I had Vista's Aero 3D activated. Once I disabled this and went to Vista basic, everything works perfect, just like with my XP Pro PCs. I fly with multiple monitors using Wideview and it is my opinion that it is the greatest program to fly. Multiple monitors for instruments and multiple monitors for outside views. Fantastic software program.Also, auto hiding that Task Bar works great. Thanks Gary for that suggestion. But how do one auto hide the menu bar?Thanks, Al

Al- Right click on the Menu Bar for a drop down- then click "auto hide". Alt key restores it as you need. Have to agree re multi monitors- once you've flown with triple views, anything less is TUNNEL VISION!Alex Reid

Guest abz

Alex: Tried right clicking on the menu bar at the top and I get no drop down box. If I am in a full screen mode and hit Alt I can get back the menu bar but when I am in window mode, I can not just clear the menu bar by right clicking on it and doing an auto hide. Just nothing there for me to check off. Al

Don't click on the Menu bar, click on a clear space just below it and it will give you a menu. That is a Right click by the way.

Al- David M. is quite correct re right clicking NEAR menu bar. Been a long time since I did that! Thanks Opa.You mention Full Screen- what effect is there on frame rate over Window mode? In my case with XP and triple views/monitors, frame rate drops somewhat with full screen- and strange things happen. Result is to stay with Window mode. As an appearance offset I also changed Title Bar colour to black (dark grey) with dark green letters. Makes Title Bars almost disappear & sure beats the noxious MS blue of XP. Desktop background colour is also set to no colour (ie black).Alex Reid

Guest abz

Thanks David and Alex. Look forward to re-trying hiding the menu bar tonight. David: Thanks for the desktop image. One thing for sure (which I learned here) is if you hide the task bar at the bottom, frame rate definitely goes up quite a bit. It was my understanding that with window mode your FPS are limited to your refresh rate of your monitor whereas with a full screen mode and turning off vertical sync, you can get even higher rates. I fly multiple monitors using Wideview and have 3 monitors for instruments. There I use window mode because of the un-docking abilities. However for my outside view monitors, I use full screen mode. Alex: I also, like you, use a custom made desktop theme which has minimized the effects of the title bar in window mode. Thanks, Al