Sign in to follow this  
Guest ErezS

Flytampa is doing Kai-Tak!

Very nice but not something I would have produced esp when a very nice freeware one is available.IMHO with this amount of detail FlyTampa could have made 1 of two projects that would have sold a boat load.1. Las Vegas scenery (airport, the strip and the surrounding area)and2. Hawaiian Islands project all of the major airports in Hawaii plus some nice area scenery.John

JetLine Systems Gravity GT2-Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit), NZXT H500 Mid-Tower, Black, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI, LGA 1151, Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) 8 Core / 16 Thread, Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Liquid Cooling, 32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz RGB, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 5.1 Channel Realtek Integrated HD Audio, Primary SSD Drive:1TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD), Secondary SSD Drive:2TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD) 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical , SimOn Solutions 737 Professional Compact Trainer (MIP, OH). CFY 737 Max Motorized TQ Gold V3, MSFS2020, ProSim 737. 45" Samsung 4K TV.

Am I missing something here?Unless I just did not spot it at the Fly Tampa site, the only thing I saw were the screenshots in the forum.They are superb shots, but I saw no mention of how hard this will be on frame rates (i.e. will it run acceptably on an "average" machine), will it come with a great manual (Clutch Cargo and the 9Dragons team has set the bar very high in that regard), will AI correctly make the "checkboard" approach and what the final price will be.Clutch was very gracious with his comments about the project in another post but it seems to me there are just too many unanswered questions for everyone to be getting so excited - at least at this point.Just an observation.

Interesting choice...but with so many existing major airports still missing, so much work for an airport that doesn't exist anymore? Especially with 9Dragons having VHHX for free? I guess I would have considered buying it for the Hong Kong scenery if it were VHHH with the ability to turn off VHHX, but even so, since VHHH is so far away from downtown Hong Kong, you don't really see much of it anyway.No doubt it looks wonderful, but I'm just not into closed airports enough to pay money for it.Regards,Mike T.

Well i dont know how you guys run ft senery on your rigs as i have a couple of them st Maarten which shimmered like mad until the mip fix, i have just got seatle which flashes, shimmers and is unusable, i think there senery is fantastic and whish i new why it wont work on my rig,so i am greatful for freeware senery like 9 dragons ect,yes there are a lot of airports not done, Ireland apart for some old 2002 senery is a ms wasteland and am sure some company could make a good profit.good luck to you all with ft kia tak.Richardcore2duo66002gig ramgxt7950 1gigmsi965neo

Guest ThrottleUp

Shows how Clutch and Thomas are a class act gang for giving the thumbs up to the FT team when their own amazing work is free for the taking. I totally agree, it is very commendable that they say such a thing but I also have to say their scenery is excellent for me and I require nothing else for that part of the world...thanks guys :)But those screenshots of FTs work do look cool as well I have to admit. The only thing that kinda gets in the way are those....fir trees! But I guess they will be removed as development progresses :)

>Very nice but not something I would have produced esp when a>very nice freeware one is available.>>IMHO with this amount of detail FlyTampa could have made 1 of>two projects that would have sold a boat load.>>1. Las Vegas scenery (airport, the strip and the surrounding>area)>>and>>2. Hawaiian Islands project all of the major airports in>Hawaii plus some nice area scenery.>>JohnI like that idea alot! Here is two more..........1.Washington DC with one or both airports plus the city with all the monuments.2.Sydney Australia and the city. (the city is pretty close to the airport)

Different strokes indeed, our diversity never ceases to amaze me - how all our minds customize the sim to enhance our own illusion :) Me? if an airport is closed, or airline defunct, or aircraft type no longer flown by an airline, etc - out they go. No matter how cool or awesome, long as I'm aware of it I just don't like seeing the nonexistent in my fs world. Shockingly that includes even an FT level rendition of the incredible, legendary Kai Tak. Plus, the way I fly, always from last airport, I'd hardly ever get there anyway - can count on one hand the flights to China in I don't know how many years. regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

I'll be at the front of the queue for this. I was in the beta for 9D and it's an amazing piece of work which Marcus is proud of and rightly should be. His scenery will still be the worthy freeware option for those who just don't want to shell out for FlyTampa.But those of us who strive for the ultimate experience in FS will not pass this up. The approach, the airport, closed or not, and the city of Hong Kong is still the holy grail of Simmers. It doesn't have to be closed in the pretend world. There is no other thing in FS that comes remotely close to Kai Tak and the 13 approach and I think it's fantastic that FT do their best work on this. We had nothing for years at Kai Tak now two in 6 months. Each to their own though, you can shuttle the A320 back and forth in the Midwest as long as you want. They will do a big US airport next I am sure so have some patience and chill out :-) This represents FT's first airport in Asia and lets hope they release another in the region soon.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

First I would like to say that Kai Tak is the single most sought after airport of all airports in FS9/FSX. With that said it appears some of you on this thread have missed the message in the pictures I see on FT's web site. The reason why you are missing the message is because this is the FS2004 forum where many of you do not have FSX or if you do you don't use it.If you have FSX loaded then Go To Kai Tak (which is in FSX) and look around at Kowloon, Hong Kong and Kai Tak. Now go back and look at the FSX pictures on FT's web site. The entire city of Hong Kong and Kowloon have been completely reconstructed and the FSX Kai Tak airport I see in the pictures has never been accomplished to date by any Scenery Designer. The airport I am looking at is not your typical FSX SP2 airport starting with the default runway textures that everyone keeps saying they are forced to use for FSX.When I look at the pictures the title to this post should be 'FlyTampa is doing Kai Tak for FSX with a alternative option for FS2004!' There are plenty of Kai Tak's for FS2004 including the one Thomas did back during FS2000 that has been updated to fit into FS2002 /FS2004.In fact a quick search shows many versions of Kai Tak for FS2004Kai Tak 2000 V3 by Thomas Kwong back in FS2000 with 27,745 downloads started it all off Roger Mole used Thomas Kwong's base Kai Tak FS2000 V3 to enhance and activate both versions of FS2002 and FS2004.Kai Tak Airport, another one of Thomas Kwong's originals done by Gianfranco Corrias.Hong Kong 2004 from Flightsoft Kai Tak made with Lago's FSE The original Civil Kaitak Airport created from the Japanese airfield constructed during WWII by Alex NicolsonKaiTak 1998 (Jim Vile)KaiTak 1963 (Tom Gibson)Kai Tak 9Dragons (Marcus Thompson)With all these available versions of FS2004 Kai Tak how many versions of Kai Tak are there for FSX? ONE!I supported Marcus when he released 9Dragons and told as many as I could (20,039 downloads) to remove my KaiTak 1998 and use his. My Kai Tak could not hold a candle to the work Marcus did for 2 years on his version. I will tell those that purchase FlyTampa's FSX version (based on the pictures I see) to delete my version of FSX Kai Tak and go buy Martin's version.Since this is the FS2004 forum and those that post here are probably still using FS2004 then you have a choice. Some of us that purchase FlyTampa's FSX version may also want to keep our 9Dragons FS2004 Version. That way we get 2 flavors of very highend scenery of Kai Tak.

I am surprised at your enthusiasm for this scenery Marcus considering the awesome job the 9 Dragons team did both in terms of quality and performance.I had originally intended to ignore the Flytampa Kai Tak but with your enthusiasm for it I guess I will take a look.The screen shots look good (they should do for payware) but what is performance like?I will only buy if the quality of sceenry is head and shoulders above the 9 Dragons offering and performance is equal to, or better.It is a shame that this was not released ages ago. I remember the Kai Tak thread started a long while ago when 'Clutch' first hinted that he was looking to do Kai Tak. At that time FlyTampa were asking for simmers ideas for the next airport they should 'do' and many of us hammered their forums begging them to do Kai Tak but there was a negative response.Of course your enthusiasm may be because the 9 Dragons team had some input into the Flytampa Kai Tak ;-)If the latter is the case lets us know Marcus, if you can, because I'm sure a lot of us would buy it so you could reap some reward for the magnificent 9 Dragons scenery.

Thanks from all of us for your concise and informative post.I think you hit the nail right on the head: Those of us who cannot (or will not) run FSX will likely want to stay with the 9Dragons version while those who are able to run FSX will have another option.Thanks again for all you have done and continue to do for us.

Well said Jim.I installed your version of KT in FS9 along with complimentary scenery like photo scenery of HK and VHHH etc) and enjoyed it immensely. Flying from Narita (I had a nice Narita scenery in FS9 to boot) to HK in low visibility and flying the entire trip like I would for real was one of the most memorable flight simming experience I've had. Thank you.Then 9D came up with their version. It is very nice too...but I had just moved on to FSX. KT deserves a make over for every new sim. Hope it would continue for the future releases of MS FS versions. There are some airports by its nature in a different league. KT is one of them. Courchevel is another. So is Lukla. Its these kinds of airports that are simply exciting to fly to by its location. Add an amazing eye candy to it, The experience is surreal!I like airports around my corner of the world too. But that kind of airport is different from these.Fly Tampa can do any airport in the world... It doesn't matter if there is another vendor (Payware or freeware) who has done the same airport, FT's version would be unique all their own. Just as long as Fly Tampa and Flight Scenery don't do the same airports. :)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter