Sign in to follow this  
Chase

Time perhaps to take a step back?

Guest Binncott

I viewed (as I am sure many others did) the thread which appeared within this forum on the 19th inst.I refer (of course) to the thread started by JC pointing out what (he believed) were problems relating to copyright.Now, whether he be right or he be wrong, or whatever his previous history within this website, I feel that the response from the "ownwer" of this site was unjustified, unconscionable and down right rude.For those who have not already I would point you to the thread entitled: "Avsim no longer respects warnings over pirated files"I would suggest a thorough reading of this thread during which, I feel, a point which I raised elsewhere also came into consideration.I speak of course about the Original Aircraft section, which is being populated by files, which are clearly.....not "original"The thread I refer to would not have been posted had some form of care been taken a) by the poster and :( by the processor.The contention that there are "thousands of files" and it is "impossible to verify authorship" does not hold true. Look back folks, there were only 4 librarians a couple of years ago and (at that time) some 100 files per day, and yet they still managed to control this problem.Avsim now has 10 librarians, and whilst everyone realises that each has a job and life outwith Avsim, mistakes are on the increase, folks are becoming upset etc.....However, and this is my real "annoyance" throughout the original thread every poster (whilst agreeing or disagreeing) maintained a modicum of civility - as per the guidelines.And then.....................in pops Mr Allensworth the owner of this site with;"Hello from Cairo. I have a really good idea. How about we just shut the friggen library down. That way, we will make everyone happy, original authors, wanna be enforcers, and those who are offended at the absence of credit, no matter the degree. I am really fed up with this kind of stuff. We try to do the right thing for everyone, and that isn't good enough. Our volunteers bust their #### to keep you folks happy, and that too isn't good enough. John, if you have a problem, which you have had MANY times in the past, then just leave as you have threatened to do before. If you have a problem with our policies, then send me flippin email. Your public posting of this kind of crap tells me a lot."Exactly what did one achieve by this? Bug*er all!Unnecessary added drivel, which shows a distinct lack of vocabulary, and makes one wonder if it is time that perhaps you banned yourself from these forums.No-one else in the thread resorted to profanity and perhaps you should take a leaf out of some of the "members" book?DisappointedBC

Absolutely agreed BC and I too am very disappointed in the responses from both parties. I think you just wrote what I've been feeling all day in regards to this particular topic. Blake

Blake

As you say the admins of the site have spoken. Personally I'm with the avsim on this. You have to have an administration with most things these days.If anyone doesn't like the rules or the way its run, then they are free to pickup all their toys and go play somewhere else. Which in this instance is what actually happened.Avsim has been a great resource for simmers for years and continues to be so.Regards Pete

Guest Procurion

Having done my share of web development, website creation/maintenance, and forum moderation, I feel that YOU are out of bounds, BC. Mr. Allensworth certainly doesn't make a fortune-these types of sites are unusually difficult to run and maintain and as the OWNER of this site he is entitled to express whatever feelings he wants. There are 5 people for every 50 that have some sort of problem with the way things are being done in any endeavor of this nature with constant #### and complaining(which is exactly what you're doing). The proper way to handle this, which isn't popular, sometimes, is to remind you where the door is. This isn't your website, it isn't your time and money, it isn't your constant headache, and it is thankless. There can't be a solution that makes everyone happy so at some point the creator/s have to say "if you aren't happy, get the heck out"......and it is appropriate.

Guest Bilko

Mr. Allensworth certainly doesn't makea fortuneThat's not the point.-these types of sites are unusually difficult to runand maintain and as the OWNER of this site he is entitled toexpress whatever feelings he wants.Even if that breaks his own very strict rules? He can make personal attacks, use profanity, and be disrespectful? He doesn't have to set an example?There are 5 people forevery 50 that have some sort of problem with the way thingsare being done in any endeavor of this nature with constant#### and complaining(which is exactly what you're doing).Interesting stats. Did you compile that 5 out of 50 nonsense yourself?Binncott was stating his opinion, not "####" and complaining.As for the thread mentioned, it was quite civil until the "OWNER" of this site chimed in.Theproper way to handle this, which isn't popular, sometimes, isto remind you where the door is.That's a ridiculous statement. So what you're saying is that everyone who has a difference of opinion, even if it's a valid one, should be shown where the door is?This isn't your website, itisn't your time and money, it isn't your constant headache,and it is thankless.Gee, thanks for letting us all know that. I'm not one to pick out number of posts, I think that it's irrelevant, but you registered the day of your first post, and made it here, in this forum. Some may find that ironic, some may find that suspicious. Not me though.The worst part of this whole affair? A longtime member and freeware contributer, respected by many, was banned because he responded in the same manner as he was disrespectfully addressed. Perhaps if the "OWNER" didn't have such a hair trigger when addressing even the slightest criticism of his site, this wouldn't have occurred.

Once again, you chose to complain over a free service. You can take the door too if you'd like. It's not a matter of kicking anyone out with a difference of opinion, it's the fact that you come somewhere that pays to maintain the enjoyment of hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts (not only financially but also with volunteer man hours) and think it's OK. We are passionate with what we do, and with what money we make from donations and advertising goes straight to server costs and almost still isn't enough.Please do leave and take your problems elsewhere because I'm not interested.