Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

How do you use a widescreen monitor with FS9?

Hi Everyone:Can someone please tell me - if I get a widescreen monitor, how do you get it to work with FS9? Is it just "plug and play" or do you have to download specific drivers for it, etc? Does it stretch the original image, or does it make it look normal without distortion? Also, if it doesn't work with FS9, (or you want to run it in "regular non-widescreen mode") can you still use FS9 on a widescreen monitor but have it appear in the center as a regular square and not a distorted rectangle?Thanks,CHris Catalano

You shouldn't need any drivers or anything. Simply plug and play. All you do is go into your FS display settings and change it to your new monitor's native resolution. Doesn't stretch the image at all except for panels, which I don't see as being too distorted because of it, but otherwise looks awesome everywhere else.

Best Regards,
Kyle Schurb
Developer of Virtual Cockpits, Sceneries, and Liveries.
Instrument-Rated Commercial Pilot AMEL, CFI/CFII/MEI

Can you still run it as a traditional "square" on a rectancle screen if you wish (with the square centered in the middle of the rectangle monitor)?Thanks,Chris Catalano

If you wish, and your graphic card is supporting it (Nvidia yes, ATI last time I saw no), yes.

If you have the option to run your monitor at 1:1 pixel resolution (it will be an option of the monitor itself, not the gfx card) then you can have FS9 display at any size up to the resoultion of the monitor when in fullscreen mode.eg. I have a monitor capable of 1920x1200 but sometimes I run FS9 at 1600x1200 to avoid "stretched panel" effect... Most of the time I accept the slight distortion in favour of a larger view though...Geoff

To add to that in the virtual cockpit you don't get any stretching, justr a wider view. If you love flying in the VC like I do a wide screen is great.

I have a 37" and a 27" running at 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 respectively. Soon to add a 47" running at 1920x1080. The possible stretch of the panel is very MINIMAL. The view is OUT OF THIS WORLD!!FS9 and FSX.Abe

ABE, are you buying a HDTV monitor or what for that big monitor? I have a brand new 24 inch flat panel monitor and run FS9 at 1600 res, but my desktop is 1900. I was thinking of getting one of those truly HUGE monitors. Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

WS is definitely the future isn't it. I use a 22" WS with TrackIR. Now I want bigger! Screens are getting cheaper too which is good.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Eric, my 37" is a Westinghouse MONITOR. My 47" is a Westinghouse also but it is a full-fledged HDTV which of course I will use as a monitor. I've been using it as a TV for less than a week, I am very happy with it, but I am definitely going to use it for FSX.Abe