Sign in to follow this  
neumanix

Improving AI sound

I wonder if it's possible to change the sound of the AI traffic so that you hear advancing throttles on take offs and landing bumps, reverse thrust and so on.Can AI use their own sound folder with sound.cfg files like ordinary planes?

Guest PARADISE

ai_sound.zip here in the avsim library

Yes I know, I tried that and some other sound files. They do greatly improve over the default sounds but I'd still like to hear more variation, like throttles going from idle to wide open on take offs.

I think (having done some research) that ai_sounds is as good as it's going to get I'm afraid. If you find out different, I'd love to know!There were a few possible solutions I heard about but they were not without their problems...I once found and downloaded a setup where the starup and shutdown sounds were supposed to be linked to a beacon light effect - I tried quite hard but never got it to work!According to the website, FSHotseat might have the answer but their website does not allow me to download the demo and every review I've seen implies that it is a product to be avoided because of conflicts with other addons etc...Geoff

Hi,I use FSHotSFX for that, but as stated above you better not have many other complex addons. For example, the last version of FSUIPC that results in full functionality (according to some) is 3.40. I've never tested that, though.It also has no support from the company anymore. You can post to the forum and others may help, but they do not respond. I have been successful getting my reg key reactivated, though, via email.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Ahh - a real live FSHotSFX user... Sorry, but now I'm going to bombard you with questions :)!Could you tell me if it's any good? ie. does it really make the AI have decent sounds etc.? Is it possible to get rid of the other stuff?Also, how "resource hungry" is it? Will it kill off my 'starting to be a little old' machine??Finally, do you use any of the following addons without problems?- Aerosoft Eurowings Prof. Commuter Airlines- ActiveSky- Lago Maddog (2004, not the 2006 version)- AISmooth (?)- FSAcars- Radar Contact 4Cheers for any info!Geoff

Guest adambar

Was a happy user of FSHotSFX,was one of the best programs i ever bought.What i mean by was is i bought a new computer with Vista which is not supported.The sounds are great from takeoff to landing to 4nm away.Ran it on a old computer with many other addons with no problems.ActiveSky 6.5Ultimate TerrainUltimate TrafficFlight EnviornmentGround EnviornmentFS Genesis MeshReal Enviornment ProFlight1 aircraft private & commercialFSDCapt Sim 707AeroworxDreamFleetAerosoftEaglesoftCarenadoFlyTampa St MarteenFlightScenery PortlandHope this helpsAdam

Thanks for the info. I've had a play with the demo version and I quite like it. I have a problem that I don't hear the spoolup sounds though - is this because I didn't revert my FSUIPC to 3.4 from 3.8 which I have right now??Also, is there a decent "custom" soundset anywhere for the MD-80/90 series? I was pretty much able to spot everything else common in the Avsim library...Cheers,Geoff

While on this subject...The package which claimed to give AI startup and shutdown sounds was called alistpai.zip here on Avsim... I tried it some time ago and didn't get it to work - has anyone else tried and actually got some sound from it?Geoff

Looking at some of those files (fx_beaconb_jetai.fx and fx_beaconh_jetai.fx), the effects files don't seem to contain a reference to the actual sound, imp_large_e.wav. Now, I'm not at all familiar with effects files, but shouldn't it reference the sound file somewhere?! All I see is:sound=6sound param=5Should that perhaps be 'sound=imp_large_e'? I have other things to do, but maybe you can give that a try. If that doesn't work, add .wav at the end. Texture files are referenced with extension as well after all.

Mike...

Hi,No, the actual wav file should not be listed. Those lines are all that's required. Here is more about the process from forum posts - as you can see it is indeed tricky:Andy B Re: AI Engine start-up soundsOk fella's, thanks to Holger Sandmann btw for re-sending me this info.A bit long I know but worth the read.Originally posted on Avsim.com by various users - credit goes entirely to them for the content that follows below.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php...ing_type=search15140, sounds for effectsPosted by ibanez737, Thu Jan-01-70 12:00 AMIs it possible to attatch a sound to an effect file in Flight Simulator? Example: hear a blast and rumble during a volcanic eruption. A response to this would be very helpful.-Scott Armstrong-------15141, RE: sounds for effectsPosted by InBetween, Thu Jan-01-70 12:00 AMGreetings,It is indeed possible, ala the default fireworks display,or the flying chickens in the barnstorm effect in FS2004.Open the file fx_barnstorm.fx (in the FS9effects folder)with Notepad and see the lines:Sound=5Sound Param=40These lines call a sound that is "hard-coded" into the Sim.The Sim looks for a specific wav file connected to the number "40",in this case the wav file "barn.wav" found in the FS9sound folder.Cfs2 used this a lot in the effects files, here is the list:----------------------------------------------------Sound filenames associated with effects file entries----------------------------------------------------Sound type "5"Where three filenames are listed, one will play atrandom at each initiation of the effect...----------------------------------------------------FX file entry sound file(s)----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=0firework.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=3xvlg_exp.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=4amb_aexp1a.wavamb_aexp1b.wavamb_aexp1c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=7amb_aexp2a.wavamb_aexp2b.wavamb_aexp2c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=10amb_aexp3a.wavamb_aexp3b.wavamb_aexp3c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=13amb_aexp4a.wavamb_aexp4b.wavamb_aexp4c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=16amb_wexp1a.wavamb_wexp1b.wavamb_wexp1c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=19amb_wexp2a.wavamb_wexp2b.wavamb_wexp2c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=22amb_wexp3a.wavamb_wexp3b.wavamb_wexp3c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=25amb_wexp4a.wavamb_wexp4b.wavamb_wexp4c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=28amb_gexp1a.wavamb_gexp1b.wavamb_gexp1c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=31amb_gexp2a.wavamb_gexp2b.wavamb_gexp2c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=34amb_gexp3a.wavamb_gexp3b.wavamb_gexp3c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=5Sound Param=37amb_gexp4a.wavamb_gexp4b.wavamb_gexp4c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound type "6"These sounds play at one of four different "speeds"or "tones", chosen randomly each time by the Sim...The filename listed will play at each initiationof the effect, with four possible variations...----------------------------------------------------FX file entry sound file(s)----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=1imp_large_a.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=2imp_large_b.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=3imp_large_c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=4imp_large_d.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=5imp_large_e.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=6imp_med_a.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=7imp_med_b.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=8imp_med_c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=9imp_med_d.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=10imp_med_e.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=11imp_small_a.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=12imp_small_b.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=13imp_small_c.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=14imp_small_d.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=15imp_small_e.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=16imp_small_f.wav----------------------------------------------------Sound=6Sound Param=17imp_small_g.wav----------------------------------------------------In FS2002/4 these still work, just use one of the combosabove in naming the new sound....EDIT:I forgot to mention the limitations:Sounds are "global" (heard everywhere).Sound plays once per effect initation, for the length of the wav file.Regards,JR-------15142, RE: sounds for effectsPosted by ibanez737, Thu Jan-01-70 12:00 AMThanks for all the great info, this will help a lot!-Scott Armstrong-------15145, RE: sounds for effectsPosted by Frank Betts, Thu Jan-01-70 12:00 AMThat would be nice if you could trigger a certain spot. Say, when you pull up to a designated area and then you would hear a recorded instruction or what ever.-------15206, RE: sounds for effectsPosted by ibanez737, Thu Jan-01-70 12:00 AMYeah, it would be nice if Microsoft would make the sound parameters a little more versatile. I'm trying to get the sound to play 20 seconds into the effect, and i guess the only way to do that is to record 20 seconds of silence before the sound comes in in the wav file. A parameter for volume would be helpful as well. Oh well; maybe in FS2006. :-(-------15219, RE: sounds for effectsPosted by PaavoP, Thu Jan-01-70 12:00 AMWell, it is possible to play a sound at an certain location (I've tested it and it works just fine). You have to create two files: a controller and a effect file.Here's how I did it:---The Controller (Cntrl_estscen_summerday.fx)---Lifetime=5Version=1.00Radius=500Priority=0lifetime=0.0, 0.0type=3distance=500.00, 500.00 //effect will be triggered if user is 500m or less away from the controllerdelay=10.00, 10.00x offset=0.00, 0.00y offset=0.00, 0.00z offset=0.00, 0.00effect.0=fx_estscen_summerday, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00----------------------------------------------------The effect itself (fx_estscen_summerday.fx)---Lifetime=5Version=2.00Display Name=Kevadel, suvel ja s

Hi,It works fine for me, but I'm using FSUIPC 3.4. As I said, I don't know what goes wrong if you use a later version. I reread some posts on their forum and it seems that you get a not registered message from FSUIPC if it's a problem.I lose about 2 fpm at most airports when I start FSHotSFX.I use none of those addons because most of them require FSUIPC to be later than 3.4.AFAIK, you will get what you hear in the demo, so if you like that you will like the purchased version. I have customized mine so each common aircraft type plays its own sounds, which adds a nice dimension. Details on their web page.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

A short test shows why this AI Startup mod isn't really any use - certainly not worth an hour or so of aircraft.cfg tinkering...Startup: The sound does play but it's too late - the normal ai sound starts a bit before and actually the only way you'll hear the startup is if you kill off the xai_*.wav files. The pity here is that it did sound quite good... but then the plane taxied silently to the runway - no thanks!Shutdown: Not able to observe an yeffect at all. In fact, I can't understand how the shutdown bit of this could possibly work because, like it says in the above post, the sound plays once when the effect is initiated!Since the FSHotSFX program works (if I get this right) by reading the traffic status of each plane, I don't understand why they didn't implement startup / taxi and shutdown sounds using the "sleep"/"pushback"/"taxi out"/"taxi in"...etc... handles... perhaps it would have made the program too resource hungry or their priorities were simply on other areas...Geoff

Thanks for the info. I've downloaded some custom sounds from the library and have had a quick go at implementing them - not sure I can tell the differtence so will test by addind a nasty bleep or something else "trackable"...As far as I can work out, the only problem with using my registered FSUIPC 3.8.1.0 is that the "tyre squeek" noise plays too early - before touchdown - so I just disabled it. This is the latest version - I do rather like AISmooth which requires 3.4.8.0 or higher but that would be the same because the change which causes the problem is in 3.4.8.0 and involves the point at which the designation changes from "landing"Right, more testing...Geoff

Added: Custom _spool and _pwr sounds are fine under FSUIPC 3.8.1.0 but I can't get the custom _rev sounds to play. I tested by removing the default ones and found that this resulted in silent landings! Checked the bundled version too (3.4.0.0) and actually I don't get the custom reversers there either! Oh well - it's so much better than it was before that I'll leave this investigation for a rainy day!Geoff