Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

An Unusual Problem while Installing an Addon

I realize this isn't a FS issue directly, but it happened as result of installing an FS addon. I just installed Traffic from JustFlight into FS9. The Windows Install Wizard opened normally, and the install went well. Upon rebooting my system, the first thing on the desktop was the Install Shield window, trying to find the CD to install Roxio CD Creator version 7! I do have this program and it is installed on my system, but I haven't used it recently. Later, when right-clicking on my C-drive icon in My Computer, same thing. The install window is still looking for Roxio, and now it happens every time. I rebooted, and the same thing the install shield window opens on startup. I have to hit cancel several times to finally close it. Any ideas what can be done to stop this? All I did was install Traffic. I have XP and SP 2. AVSIM has always gotten me through these strange things before, hopefully this one too. Thanks. Tom

My first guess is that the install did not properly complete and/or wrote something incorrectly to the registry.Run the program's uninstaller, if you can access, it then use the System Restore dialogue and Restore your system to a few days prior to the install attempt.See if Roxio will still perform properly.If it does, then try reinstalling your new program - being absolutely sure you have closed all running programs - particiularly your virus detection program.If you get a good install this time, be sure to restart your virus program - do that regardless of the results.Hope this may be helpful.

Thanks Dave for the help. I inserted the roxio CD (luckily I found it) and the opening window had the option to repair files. I selected that just to pick something and the installer gave me the option to exit. That did the trick and shut the installer down. Problem fixed. I just don't know what caused that to happen. Thanks again. Tom

I've used Mike Lin's Start Up Control Panel and Startup Monitor for years, freeware. Every time something tries to implant itself in my registry to start at boot, I'm notified by a pop up and given the choice to approve or deny. Anything I approve and later decide it needs to be stopped from doing so -- I can then just go into Mike's control panel and uncheck it, and voila, problem solved.<< http://www.mlin.net/ >>Roxio was the software that made me search for something like this to begin with. ;-)

Thanks for the link to that interesting website!Two quick questions.......1. What criteria do you use to determine if you will allow or not allow an "implant" to the registry?2. Have you tried his "SeeSaw" program (which allows you to specify which core to use for a specific program) and if so, did you notice any performance improvements?Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Guest robystar

Hi David,Sorry to break into this thread but wanted to respond to your inquiry.Vista has a built-in function where you can assign a specific cpu for a certain program (I have a core duo Pentium 2,8 Ghz), so I tried to assign FS to the CPU core 2 as that one seemed to be idle most of the time most Vista services being performed thru core 1.Unfortunately, the results were completely negative. FS ran worse than before.Roby

The pop-up windows are specific enough that I have always been able to decide what should auto start with my XP and what shouldn't. If I see something for, say "allow fs9.exe cleanup?" then I allow it. If I see something like "Roxio.exe scheduler" or something like that, I don't. I tend to err on the side of having too much start up with Windows, because I can always stop it with Mike's StartUpControl Panel. When you uncheck a program from start up there, the Panel holds it in place so you can always go back in and re-select it for start up if you decide it's something you need. I've never used the seesaw program (mainly because I'm just using your .bat file right now) but I have never had any negative consequences whatsoever to using any of Mike's programs. Indeed, even though it's freeware, I know what that means, and I've sent him donations because I think what he's done is so useful.

Thanks Chuck for the help and advice on that program. I'm going to give it a try. It kinda sounds like the msconfig startup option. Are they similar? Regards, Tom

Thanks for the idea.However I am running XP so am going to take a look see at the SeeSaw program as it says it can let you designate which core to use for services and running programs.

Yes, Tom, very similar. Except not quite as cryptic as MSConfig, IMHO.