Sign in to follow this  
miguelpp

Propsed New System Please comment

Hi All. I am planning to upgrade my current system from:MSI 694 D2 ProDual PIII @ 1G1024 PC 133 RAMgeForce 3 500TI 64 M DDRTo:Gigabyte 8XINPP4 3.061024 DDR PC 2700 or 3000 RAMRadon 9700 Pro 128MI will keep my current case and 500W Power Supply, my 3 7200RPM HDs, Turtle Bay Santa Cruz Sound and will be running WinXP Pro.Any comments,thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.Ed Green, KCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/images/ELAL-350.jpg

Guest Stratus_Fractus

All I can say is that your new system will scream and will be able to run everything quickly for the forseeable future.

Guest ccgr

I replied in the other forum but that board only supports 2700/333mhz DDR, no use wasting money on 3200/400mhz.

Guest FPSFREAK

Ed, Sounds like a very nice setup to me with maybe one or two exceptions and neither of these is meant as a put down. The Granite bay chipset is a nice setup but has been experiencing problems w the 9700 Pro. Especially when AGP 8X is enabled. Personally, I would spend my money on a solid MB that supports Rambus. I know some people will call me the Rambus freak but those that run it know how fast, reliable and incredibly complimentary it is to the P4. A match made in heaven you may say LOL. But honestly all in all a killer system. One thing you may want to look into is being sure you get a matched set of DCDDR modules to extract the most from the system. Corsair carries a very good line up of matched modules.Good Luck.Bobby

Guest Bigshot

Do a search for your proposed mobo at www.rage3d.com in the 9700 tech section. I agree about the rambus comments above. A bit more expensive but I'm glad I opted for PC1066. I also took the conservative approach and went with the Intel D850EMV2 with the PIV 2.53 . It was the most stable 4x board listed in the Tom's Hardware review. Although it was also the slowest of the top five. Don't even miss that 1 frame per second though.

Guest FPSFREAK

Good luck Ed. Realize though that it is not the board that is the problem but the chipset. Let us know how you make out.

OK, Good luck.I purchased the P4G8X in November.If I had known the issues that affected to the RADEON 9700 PRO and the mobo, I hadn

Thank you for the heads up, Miguel. Apparently only some boards are affected and there do apppear to be work -arounds so I guess we'll just have to see what happens.Please keep your fingers crossed for me, under the best of circumstances, I need all the help that I can get.Best Regards and Thanks Again,Ed Green, KCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/images/ELAL-350.jpg

-----snip------> The Granite bay chipset is a nice setup but has been >experiencing problems w the 9700 Pro. Especially when AGP 8X >is enabled. ------snip-------I have been running the Radeon 9700 PRO on my P4G8X for a few days now at 8x AGP with the latest catalyst drivers (3.2). I have yet to encounter any instability problems!!Bill

Guest FPSFREAK

I geuss you happen to be one of the lucky ones Bill. There are guys that are running these boards w no problems but there are also a large number who are having issues. Do you have fast writes enabled?. This seems to be the biggest area of problems. It seems like those that enable it are experiencing the majority of issues.Bobby