Sign in to follow this  
daan_vb

World of AI or Ultimate Traffic

Hey guys,I'm reinstalling FS9 on a new computer, starting afresh and all that. I've been using Ultimate Traffic and found the airports really well populated but the quality of some of the textures and models wasn't that great. Being a bit lazy I don;t really fancy upgrading all the models (unless theres a super easy way of doing it that anyone knows of!?)So now I'm thinking of using World of AI, but my worry is that I'll download and install these packs only to find my airports sparsely populated and subsequently wish I hadn;t bothered and just installed UT.Is anyone using most of the WoAI packs and seeing busy airports? I fly around Europe.CheersDan

WAT1036.png

I used to use UT and WOAI together. I would custom compile UT to exclude the WOAI packages and it worked very well. But after awhile the UT textures & models finally broke me, especially sitting alongside an Aardvark or Evolve modelI then started putting together custom AI packs to fill in the missing ones to compliment WOAI, but soon found without extensive testing for each plan and texture set I was prone to .dll errors.So now I just use WOAI and a handful of custom sets, the airports are not that busy I would say its like having UT traffic set at 35-40%. This is of course dependent on what airport your at. I still need to wait in line at Gatwick! On the other hand not much is happening at say Bergen.I would say either work the two together or try your hand at adding your own AI to run with WOAI. If you fly in the same region it shouldn't take too much to get a custom package together just make sure you test the ones you create!

I am putting FS9 on a new compoter also. I want to use WOAI and I also want to keep my GA. How do I eliminate the default Airliners while keeping GA? Can anyone help out with that.Thanks

There are at least two approaches (pardon the pun) which you can take.1. Remove all default traffic by removing (changing the extension to bak or orig) the large default traffic file which is usually named traffic030528.bgl and which resides in your Scenery/World/scenery folder.Then install some of the fine dedicated GA packages which are available from sites such as Ultimate GA.http://ultimatega.com/ORDecompile that large, default traffic file and remove references to the default airlines (leaving only references to GA aircraft) in the aircraft.txt file and then recompile.You will need the Traffic Tools program by Lee Swordy to do this.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=SearchHope these ideas are helpful.

Dan,I have just moved onto a new machine and - despite having paid good money for UT a couple of years ago - I have not reinstalled it.I have a lot of respect for the program, it is VERY good and the tools that come with it are useful, but the models it uses are now superceded by those used by WOAI. Firstly, the 'WOAI models' (in fact these models are from a range of designers) are better textured and the models are more detailed. Perhaps most importantly though, the UT models generally only have 1 LOD (level of detail) so that no matter how close or far you are from the AI, it renders all the polygons for each model. At an airport like EDDF or EGLL where there are loads of complex models like 747's, this can seriously impact on framerates. By contrast, WOAI models have multiple LOD's so that the further away it is from you, the fewer polygons are used in the model displayed, thus considerably reducing the number that have to be drawn at a busy airport. You only get the detailed bits such as flap fairings, wing roots, undercarriage assemblies etc when you are close enough to be able to see them. Also, I have a suspicion that some of the UT models have funny flight dynamics, A330's used to make extremely steep approaches at implausibly slow speeds, it always looked very odd!I reccommend getting into the WOAI packages first and foremost, plus they're free!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Ultimate Traffic is still the best choice when it comes to the amount and diversity of flightplans, even a year after the latest update. WOAI doesn't even come close and some of them have older schedules as well.I guess it all boils down to how much time and effort you want to put in your AI. I have UT, but I have upgraded to the best models where possible (except for some props). Time-consuming, but the program makes assignment changes very easy. I have imported numerous plans, mostly cargo and charter traffic. And have separate files as well, some more cargo and charter traffic (I don't import anymore) and updated schedules for a handful of airlines already in UT. Add to that all UGA and MAIW packages and you've got plenty of traffic flying.Just an example, I'm updating several Italian Afcads and Air Baltic is a regular visitor at airports such as LIMC and LIRF. There's no Air Baltic WOAI package.If you just want to have some traffic, then go with WOAI and other free packages. If you want more, then UT is one hell of starting point and a very good program as well.

Mike...

Guest PARADISE

I run use both UT and WoAI also...........one other advantage to using the WoAI packages is that it installs the a/c models for you. You can than use these models and add more airlines individualy by simply installing their textures and enter them into UT.Then delete the frame robbing FSP models that are in UT and you will gain extra space on your drive for more add ons.