Sign in to follow this  
orbmis

AI Traffic Labels

Hello All,,,Could someone advise as to where the aircraft label that 'floats' over AI traffic comes from?? I've been making some changes to my AI aircraft and I'm not sure whether I am seeing the old default textures, or the newer ones. I was thinking that if I could modify the label, it would surely makes things easier.Hoping that someone has an answer for this one! Thanks!!orbmis

As I understand it, the "label" only reflects what is written in the aircraft.cfg file for each aircraft and aircraft variation.I believe that information is drawn from the atc_airline= line.Hope that may help.

[AContain]ShowLabels=0ShowUserLabel=0ShowLabelManufacturer=0ShowLabelModel=1ShowLabelTailNumber=0ShowLabelDistance=1ShowLabelAltitude=1ShowLabelAirline=0ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=1ShowLabelFlightPlan=1ShowLabelContainerId=0ShowLabelAirspeed=1ShowLabelHeading=0LabelDelay=1000LabelColor=FFFF0000That's from FS9.cfg, not every entry is configurable through the sim's interface. You can toggle the labels in sim as well by pressing Ctrl + Shift + L, I believe, anyway... Model = ui_type from the aircraft.cfg. Manufacturer = ui_manufacturer. Airline = atc_airline.

Mike...

An even easier way - which allows you to configure all of the available label display options (even while flying) and which does not involve messing with the FS9.cfg file is as follows:Download the free Microsoft TrafficToolbox SDK from:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857Install it anywhere and then place a copy of the TrafficToolbox.dll in your Modules folder.This will give you a new Tab on the Menu bar at the top of your screen (Hit ALT if the menu bar is not visible).The Tab is called Tools and under it will be a choice to invoke the Traffic Tool Box. Then select settings - here you can specify what you want to have displayed on the labels as well as adjust the AI traffic etc. - all without having to exit your flight.The explore option shows all AI activity in the area and allows you to watch any of them.A "must have" utility in my humble opinion.

Not easier than editing, not messing with, a file in Notepad. But it's definitely the grandfatherly approach. :(

Mike...

>Not easier than editing, not messing with, a file in Notepad.>But it's definitely the grandfatherly approach. :(IMO it is easier than editing the .cfg file because you can make changes in-sim. Plus I think Mr. Marshall was genuinely trying to inform another simmer of something they may not have known about. And he did so without making any insipid personal comments.Just my opinion.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hi Everyone,Thanks for all your responses to my question. Quite helpful.Mike's suggestion re: the AContain section was the perfect solution foir what I was attempting to do. With this I can make changes to any number of a/c parameters in the aircraft.cfg, which will allow me to determine which a/c texture is displayed for a particular aircraft. That was right on to what I was looking to do.In addition, I did get a nice tip for the Toolbox, as that allows one to follow AI a/c, but also make real-time changes to the and immediately observe the impact. Seems quite helpful for possibly changing the AI traffic sliders on the fly.My thanks to everyone for the suggestions!!orbmis

If I am not mistaken, I believe you will find that you can elect to show or not show vitually all of the same information which you can change in the FS9.cfg file - in the settings section of the Traffic Toolbox utility which I recommended.Of course the usual Traffic setting dialogue in FS2004 only allows the option to set a few of the possible items and that is one reason I find the Traffic Toolbox utility so valuable.Glad to hear you found the forums useful.

Well, then why didn't he include all that info in his first post?Why is it that if I mention FS9.cfg, it suddenly becomes "messing with".In another thread I mention editing an install log file. A txt file, it's not like hacking a system dll... And of course "which most definitely should NOT be edited in any way".Or there's talk about the registry (a specific key too boot) and again "There is probably a way to do it via the registry too but I do not like to mess with the registry".While he may not have a perjorative agenda, it's certainly starting to come across that way."Not to diminish in any way the advice you may get here, but"That sentence has an ironic tendency. If you leave that out, linking someone to a top scenery design forum gets a totally different meaning, a positive one.If you want to offer safer alternatives, fine, but do just that, there's no need to put down the "lesser" alternative. Say it's safer, but don't say the other approach is unsafer. It may appear the same, but it makes a world of difference. ;-)And my apologies.

Mike...

Mike -It seems I owe you an apology.If the way I phrased my suggestions to the original poster offended you in any way, I do sincerely apologize. That was not my intent at all.In fact, that is why I used the phrase "not to diminish" - I was attempting to tell him that your advice was excellent but that he might find answers to his questions in other forums also.Regarding the use of the phrase "messing with the FS9.cfg" file, that was probably not the best choice of words.In my opinion, anyone who may be relatively new to FS really should stay clear of editing such crucial files unless they know exactly what they are doing. For experienced users like you, such editing is simple and we do it all the time.I was simply trying to point out that great caution should be used and there may be alternatives (such as the TrafficToolBox utility) which are available.So once again, my sincere apologies.I shall try to be more careful in my choice of words in the future.

Guest LeeWang

>>It seems I owe you an apology.You owe many apologies

I think there'a a happy medium in there someplace David. I have indeed seen newer users whose general pc knowledge, let alone fs know how, is surprisingly minimal (not the OP), and they have inadvertently stalled the sim. At the same time fs9 is pretty robust at the back end can right itself with a little guidance from more experienced users, and the lessons learned are invaluable.And thanks for the Toolbox tip, I have it installed but never really explored that aspect.regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark