Sign in to follow this  
meccadom

Mesh (terrain)

I cannot decide between Ultimate Terrain or FS Genesis for FS9. Any thoughts?Thanksmeccadom

Guest Seadog

I guess the first thought, in light of the phrasing of your post's title, is to make sure you understand they do two different things entirely. Ultimate Terrain is not mesh. FS Genesis mesh is mesh - Justin has other products besides mesh, such as Landclass.Mesh is the contour of the land vertically, hills and valleys, bumps and dips, and controls the up and down shape of the land's surface. The better the mesh, the more accurate the shape of the mountain is, for example. Mesh is often referred to as elevation mesh to emphasize the dimension in which it operates.Ultimate Terrain does a whole lot of things that you can read about on their website, but it doesn't contain mesh. It puts ocean and lake coastlines where they should be, in the shape they should have. It puts a great many roads where they should be, and does so for rivers and streams too. There's too much to it to recount here, especially since you can read about it for yourself.So, now that you know what each does, you can decide which aspect of the sim is more important to you and your kind of flying. Most General Aviation VFR fliers think both are essential addons, and lean slightly in favor of starting with Ultimate Terrain. But that tendency is often expressed as get UT first, but surely also get FS Genesis mesh as soon as possible. Each to his own. You may well want mesh first.Hope that helps your decision process.Doug

I have them both, along with GE Pro; altogether, they have completely changed my simming experience for the better.

Guest Nealoc187

keep in mind also that the entire contiguous USA FSGenesis 38m mesh is available for free here on avsim. Personally my choice was get UT, and get the free FSGenesis.

I have tried 38m mesh and I have so say it really does enhance the sim,but, there's always a but I do not like airports located on the top ofa plateau unless it really should be. I do not know if FSX is any betterwith this than fs9, but it could because of the better resolution ofthe scenery engine. So I have gone back to default for now.

Hello Jim, Yes I know, is it any better with FSX? I don't owned it although I bought it, well it got stolen in the post after I had arelative resend it on to me as the company I bought it from in the UKdoes not deliver software to where I'm living, so after all that drivelis FSX any better regarding the plateau effect?Regards