Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Jet sounds and the sound.cfg file

I have one set of a/c sounds which are WAY too loud - can't hear ATC. Is there any way of reducing the volume by changing/adding to the sound.cfg file, or is the only way to edit each .wav file?I don't want to change the global engine volume in FS, as most other a/c are fine.Thanks,Martin

Usually it's WIND sound that's the main culprit drowning ATC - edit it down in volume and see if that helps. regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

No, it's not the wind sound, the engines are too much even when sitting on the tarmac with clear weather (i.e. no wind). :-)

>No, it's not the wind sound, the engines are too much even>when sitting on the tarmac with clear weather (i.e. no wind). >:-)Hello I have the creative external soundblaster card.With this card came amongst other things a program called creative wave studio.This program allows you to drag WAV files into it and fiddle around with them ,it also allows you reduce the volume and then re-save the offending files.I never took the time to read the instructions properly but with mucho fiddling i did manage to edit lots of noisy WAVs (particularly altitude call outs that would come expectantly and VERY loudly on descent and almost cause me to hit the ceiling)I don't know what sound card you have but it might be worth checking out to see if it came with any form of editing program.You might also try all the usual culprits Major Geeks etc for freeware wav editing progsI t might also be worth looking at your basic XP or Vista Volume controlsettings and fiddle with the WAV volume control and see if that helps.cheers AndyPs I am surprised you can't just turn the Engine volume down in the FS9 OR X SOUND settingsCheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Actually, it would be quite easy to turn the engine volume down in FS, wouldn't it? Probably forget to turn them back up when I change a/c, but no matter...On the other hand it would be good to know if there are lines that can be added to the sound.cfg file to affect the volume of the engine sounds, like you can for wind etc. Perhaps there isn't.For now I have reduced all the sound volumes by 60% using a wave file editor I have (luckily it does batch jobs, so it was pretty quick and easy): I'll see how this works out. Thanks,Martin