Sign in to follow this  
Guest avrovulcan

Dreamfleet Boeing 727 and Windiws Vista.

Guest avrovulcan

HELP!!!I am lucky enough (or un-lucky, depending on your point of view) to own two Windows Vista based computers. One is a Quad-Core based desktop and the other a Dual-Core laptop. I have found it impossible to use one of my favorite titles, Dreamfleets 727 (Flight 1 Boxed version) on either system. Instalation goes ok'ish, (I have to browse the CD manualy and double click the Install 727.exe icon,)I am able to select the aircraft form the aircraft menu, but when I klick on OK to start a flight FS9 Crashes to Desktop.There is nothing wrong with the software as it worked fine in my old XP based system.I am quite confident on how FS9 works and have had a bit of success on getting a lot of my Windows XP back catalouge to function, but I am at a total loss on what to do to try to get this exelent peice of software working. This fault occours on both machines. The only common thing is both Graphics cards are NVIDIA cards. I should point out at this point that both cards are totaly diffrent versions using diffrent chipsets.I would be most greatfull if any of my fellow simmers out there have any ideas on how to solve this problem. I have tried the Dreamfleet FAQ's and product support site but have had no joy.Understand that Dreamfleet have a version 3 of 727 in the pipline but as i understand this will be a FSX only title.I am running both FS9 and FSX on my power system and are reluctant to get rid of FS9 as a lot of the older titles will not make it to FSX.Anyway many thanks for any help that can be provided.Andy(The AVROVULCAN)

I have the DF727 running fine in FS9 on Vista 32.Try disabling User Account Control and see if that helps. I found this was the cause of lots of the problems older FS9 addons had with Vista.

I never could get the Commander 112 from Flight 1 to work properly under Vista Premium. I tried everything under the sun and finally gave up. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Guest avrovulcan

Hi thanks for the reply.When you say turn off the user account controll, do you mean logging onto your system permenmently as Administrator??? If so my system is already set up like this, beacuse like you I also had numerous problems with FS9 addons running a regulas account.Anyway many thanks for the replyAndy(AVROVULCAN)

Guest avrovulcan

Hi there thank for your reply, I have a reasonalble ammount of experience in trying to get FS9 software working under VISTA, If you tell me what you have done to try to get Commander 112 working i might beable to give you a few more ideas.Regards Andy(AVROVULCAN)

You know when the screen dims and a prompt appears asking you "Are you sure you want to do this?"... "Are you really sure you want to do this?"... "Are you REALLY REALLY sure you want to do this?"That is User Account Control (UAC). It is one of the features that is supposed to make Vista more secure by preventing programmes and other users making changes to your system without your express permission. It gets more than a little tiresome after a while, and if you are a savvy and experience computer user it is completely unnecessary. More importantly it also creates incompatibility problems with some of the older FS addons that try to do things that UAC thinks are unsafe.You can turn off UAC in Vista from the Control Panel. Open up the User Account settings and select "Turn User Account Control On Or Off". It will require you to reboot Windows to effect the change.Also, once you have turned UAC off Windows Security Centre will keep nagging you about it. If you go into Windows Security Centre and select "Change How Windows Security Centre Alerts Me" and tell it not to alert you when UAC is off it will stop the nagging messages.Obviously you do this at your own risk, and I would recommend you Google UAC to find out exactly what it does and decide for yourself if you can live without it. As I said, I have UAC disabled and all my FS9 addons work flawlessly in Vista.

Guest avrovulcan

Hi, thanks for getting back to me, the reason i asked about the UAC is beacuse i was certian i had turned it off on both computers. Beacuse after 5 mins of using VISTA for the first time with UAC set to its default setting of on I quickley turnned it off.Looks like I may have a conflict with the hardware (most probably the graphics cards). Looks like I will have to wait untill version 3 is releaced for FSX.Have found a lot of weird soloutions to vairous problems with VISTA and FS9, In order to get PDMG's 747-400 queen of the sky's to install i had to set the compatability mode to Windows 98/Me, this was a strange one as this title was never released for 98/Me Beacuse this was an install problem it was fairly easy to sort out after a little bit of trial and error. Beacuse 727 actually installs OK there is no way that i know of forcing an aircrft file to run under a diffrent compatability mode.Again many thanks for your helpAndy(AVROVULCAN)

That's strange because I have many addons installed (including the PMDG 747) and I have never had to use any compatibility modes or workarounds to get them to work in Vista?Strange???

I started out using the install application. I noticed that files were scattered all over the place. I put the files into the normal structure of an aircraft folder. It worked fine for one texture selection and an analog panel. The glass panel would not work. I contacted Flight 1, who is normally very helpful, but all they could add was that the plane was not designed for any operating system other than XP. I have other single engine planes that work very well, so I gave it the boot. I play with the installation now and then as a form of mental masturbation. It's a pretty good challenge.

Guest avrovulcan

Strange one??I know that the flight 1 aircraft look for a valid Licence Install file prior to loading up, but since you say that you have one aircraft texture file working it's unlikley to be that. Aircraft licence insatall problems have not occoured on any Flight 1 software that I have, (in any case you get a warning if there is a problem with the licence). Unfortunatly I haven as yet got round to purchasing this title yet, as for Flight 1 to say it wasn't released for VISTA is a poor excuse, as the boxed version of the software wasn't available here in the UK untill VISTA had been out for several months.If you havent already tried it you might try to alter the compatability mode of the FS9.EXE file to either XP or 98/Me compatapbilty, (i have had some results in doing this with some software)Does the Glass panel come with a third party addon such as a RealityXP gauge/s, if so you could load up the panel config file into a txt editor and disable all the gauges by puting a // in fornt of each line such as: gauge08=Douglas_DC3!oat, 231,674,91,94and changing it to//gauge08=Douglas_DC3!oat, 231,674,91,94this will disable the gauge and if you assign a key stroke in FS9 preferances to Reload User Aircraft, you can re-instate the gauges one at a time until you find the offending gauge. This is quite time consuming but if you disable all the gauges first and then load the aircraft and the glass panel version works with the gauges disabled the problem lies with the panel (dont forget to disable the Virtual cockpit gauges as well).If you do find a problem with one of the gauges you could try to swap it with one of the default FS9 gauges. (or if you have Flight 1's panel shop you could use that)Hope this is of some helpBest regardsAndy(AVROVULCAN)

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of trying Win98 or ME mode. The other suggestion makes sense also. I'll give them a try. I do beleve that the gauges were a problem.