Sign in to follow this  
JonBuck

Aircraft Not Showing Up As "AI"

I'm having a frustrating problem setting up traffic because some of my aircraft (default and add-ons alike) will fly normally as the prime aircraft, but refuse to show when I use them as AI traffic. I have more than adequate ramp parking slots available but they just don't show up on the ramp even when I set the flightplan hours to zero so they would be static. Not all, mind you, but quite a few do this, even one I have downloaded as specific AI files. Puzzeling! Is there a code missing somewhere or someting that tells an aircraft not to operate as AI, but to function normally otherwise? Any slider setting or something like that I can check? It's really limiting the number of aircraft I can use for AI traffic or just filling out a ramp without moving. Anybody experience this?Jon B :-hmmm

Hi,How are you trying to use them as AI Traffic? Are you writing specific flight plans for them and then compiling them? Are you trying to substitute them for default planes? The flight plan hours are in GMT and that is the time they will show up in FS.As discussed in a lengthly thread not to long ago, setting the hours to zero does not create a static plane because when you compile that flight plan, the zero is changed to a recognized value.Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Thanks for the response Jim. Yes, I'm writing specific flightplans for them and then compiling them with the Traffic Tools program. Haven't used them as substitutes for default acft yet, but had planned to replace some jetliners with propliners later on. The ones I'm working with are primarily prop planes from the WWII period. The add-on T-6 trainer worked perfectly as a primary and as an AI (except that it refused to do T&Gs and just took off into the sunset). That's one success. I can select an add-on B-17 and fly it, but when I try to use it as an AI, it just wouldn't show on the ramp. Another B-17 and a B-26 which were downloaded from Avsim as AI files wouldn't show either. I can't see where anything is missing from their aircraft .cfg file...everything looks the same to me as those acft which function normally as AI. However, I notice that they don't show up in the list of selectable aircraft. Are strictly AI aircraft supposed to appear under Aircraft Selection? Since you can't fly 'em and they're just AI acft, it doesn't make sense to me that they would. I finally understand the GMT 'thing' now, and on the airport ramp I'm using, there are a great variety of parking spot sizes available some with huge dimentions, much more than a B-17 would need. I've been through many of the threads about flight plans in this learning process but missed the message which you refer to about setting the time to zero. I did see a couple of mentions that leaving the time at zero would turn them into static displays though, and that's why I used the zero time. What should the time be set to, instead, for static display? I appreciate your response Jim. I'm somewhat new to the FS and in the middle of a couple of learning curves so any help you can offer to get me through this problem would be greatly appreciated! Jon B PS: ( A couple of hours later) Oops...I just took another shot at including the AI download B-17 and the AI download B-26. I made sure both had Mil_Combat specified under parking types. Don't know if that had anything to do with it, but the B-17 showed up on the Hamilton Field ramp as it was supposed to. The B-26 is still missing. So...it's a puzzlement. Gotta be something I'm missing or something I'm doing wrong! It could just be something with that particular ramp configuration so I'll try doing the same acft at another airport. I've been a Train Sim nut for several years. It's a complicated program, but this FS is confusing to me!Jon

Thanks Jim, I give it a shot. Perhaps the solution to my problem lies within. Worth a try!! I appreciate your help....much obliged!!!Jon B ;-)

If you get stuck or have other questions, feel free to drop me an e-mail (just click on my name) and I will be happy to work with you.

Thanks David. I just read through the "Static Aircraft Tutorial" which Jim recommended (fs9stat.zip) and found it extremely helpful. One of the best-written tutorials I have come across. Easy to follow for a new guy because everything makes sense. I plan to follow his steps and see if that cures my problem.If not I'll be sure to come to you for advice. It won't be the first time you have helped me to understand how something works. Thanks for the offer!Jon B ;-)