Sign in to follow this  
Guest CSerpent

Sick of FS! :(

Guest CSerpent

I've just put together a new PC specifically to run FS, and am having oddity problems I can't seem to resolve... I've been at this for over a week now and STILL have yet to get a flight :(Vista x64 fresh install with SP1Installed Nvidia newest Nforce and Display driversInstalled FS9 + SP1 + FSUIPCGo to default C172 anywhereAll looks ok until I do something like change the view away from the cockpit - the display then locks (albeit in the background it has changed to the new view)... the only way to see the new view is to hit esc/continue flying. When you reselect cockpit, again it's locked up and have to do the esc/continue flying route to get the view back.There's no user access control on the PC, I've tried disabling Anisotropic filtering to no avail.Interesting point however, if put into full screen mode, FS works perfectly!Any ideas? I'm about to pull my hair out!

Not that I have any ideas but nobody can help you unless you list your hardware specs etc... I would "guess" one of three things in this order.1. Drivers. 2. Heat3. Power supplyBut I don't even know what video card you have. Also, a little advice, don't come to a forum where people love FS and look for help by saying you are sick of it... Just a little friendly advice, you catch more bees with honey!-PPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 468X9.5 @ 4.45Asus Maximus Extreme2 gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 @1400Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I usually don't respond to negative comments like this, but I think this guy was really saying is the He is SICK of all of the troube he is having, trying to get a new rig working properly. He would not have spent the time, effort and money for a new rig if he was "sick" of Flight Simulater. I don't think your comment helped him very much... just my opinion. jerrycwo4

Guest CSerpent

>Not that I have any ideas but nobody can help you unless you>list your hardware specs etcGood point.. Asus Striker II Extreme Nvidia SLI790Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 2.54GB Kingston DDR3 10661.5TB RAID-5 Array on SATA/300 Seagate 7200 DrivesAsus GeForce 8800GT 512MB GDDR3Creative X-Fi Elite ProAntec TruePower 2.0 550W PSU>Also, a little advice, don't come to a forum where people love>FS and look for help by saying you are sick of it... >Just a little friendly advice, you catch more bees with>honey!>-PBelieve me, I've always loved FS but you have to understand how much this has got me frustrated, I've wanted my FS to work and this is driving me to distraction considering how much I've always had FS work in the past.

Guest CSerpent

>I usually don't respond to negative comments like this, but I>think> this guy was really saying is the He is SICK of all of the>troube he is having, trying to get a new rig working properly.>He would not have spent the time, effort and money for a new>rig if he was "sick" of Flight Simulater. I don't think your>comment helped him very much... just my opinion. jerrycwo4Exactly Jerry, I'm sick of all the trouble - I can't believe how difficult FS is being after running it since FS5 :(

Guest CSerpent

OK finally have solved it, Vista issue (there's a surprise!)Set fs9.exe to run this program in compatibility mode for XP service pack 2disable desktop compositionThanks in advance to all those who tried to find a solution!

Well, look at it this way - you're trying to run on an OS and hardware that FS9 wasn't designed for. I suggest that if it runs well in full screen that you run it that way.DJ

Glad you got it, I never put FS on Vista myself so I DEFINITELY wouldn't have gotten that.and Jerry, at least I asked him to list all of his hardware and specs, the only thing you came to this post to add was a little scolding for me??Glad you got it sorted,-PPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 468X9.5 @ 4.45Asus Maximus Extreme2 gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 @1400Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I feel your pain. I just spent over 6 weeks building, testing tweaking, and yes replacing every single part in my new build and I am just now getting it to run well. I just got back from a weeks vacation where it sat at home without use, and all is now well.Sorry I can't help with your Vista probs because I intentionally stayed with XP Pro, but do hang in there. Your experience and time invested will pay off - but of course you already know that.

Guest B52Drivr

hello all, You know, I almost bought Vista when I built my new rig, and at the very last moment decided to stay with XP Pro -- whew, am I glad I did!Even with that, it took me the better part of a week, (I've been building my own stuff for about 10 years now, not that bright, but I follow directions well, ) to get the new rig to operate properly, but once I did . . .wow, FS9 just hums right along. I've finally managed to have a flight sim which has all the sliders full up, with the most intricate aircraft and heavy add on scenery, zip along at just about any frame rate I desire. I've seen unbelievable FPS on this rig and now have it locked at 60, just for grins. It's overclocked and the temps are soooo cool under full load - the new Intel stuff really hits the mark!System:CPU:Intel QX9650 Core2 duo Quad Extreme - Zalman cooled OC's to 3.81 (I've gone to 4.1GHz, and was stable, but see no need to stay there presently). FSX could change that.MB;ASUS Maximus formulaRAM:4GHz G Skill 1333FSB DDR2 POWER SUPPLY:ABS 1100W power supplyVID CARD:EVGA 8800 GTS 512 -- 80mm fan blowing across unit in addition to factory fans on GPUHARD DRIVES: (2) WD Raptor 10,000rpm 150G HD'sCASE:Alien aluminum case with 4 80mm inlet fans and 2 120mm outlet fans, plus internal fans on NB and SB.Typical sound system and CD/DVD drives and burners along with 2 HD fans.Yeah, it wasn't cheap, but I am sooooo satisfied with its performance. I'm presently waiting for another Raptor to put FSX on in a dual boot system . . . dying to see how that does.Best to all, Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Clay,You know you can be getting much larger amounts of storage and quicker seek times with some regular SATA2 WDCaviar16 drives or some Seagate 7200.11 drives...That is unless you step up to the Velociraptor :) But this conversation is better suited for the h/w forums.-PaulPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 468X9.5 @ 4.45Asus Maximus Extreme2 gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 @1400Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I took my Raptor out yesterday and went with a WD 7200 RPM -- they tell me it's better suited for FS9, but man I just couldn't deal with the extra boot and program load times. And you're right -- this is better suited to the hardware forum.I just installed the 3 GB switch too and have flown 4 long flights with no OOMs as well -- something I was getting because of all my addons (Bird's Eye View, Fight Environment, FSPax, FS RealTime, FDC Live Cockpit X, Radar Contact, Active Sky, and many payware airports). And it has done no harm whatsoever.(Psolk: my rig is running like a champ now. Air cooled too! Thanks for your help!)

That is awesome Chuck!!! When you are ready we can start OC'ing that bad boy. I just ordered 2 of the new Velociraptor SATA2 10k drives myself. Supposedly they are ~ 37% faster than the original raptors and the fastest thing you can get next to a 15k SCSI... I will use Acronis and just do a drive transfer when I get them tomorrow :)I will let you know...-PPrimary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 468X9.5 @ 4.45Asus Maximus Extreme2 gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 @1400Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Okay, you're "sick of FS!" but..1 - was FS9 designed to run on Vista? No.2 - was FS9 designed to run on Vista 64? No.3 - was FS9 designed to run with video divers for Vista 64? No.If you built a system based on Vista or Vista 64 and wish to run software that it wasn't designed for, you can't blame neither Vista NOR FS9. Take a deep breath.This is a known issue on Vista in windowed mode:Right click on FS9 and select "Disable Visual Themes". This MAY or MAY NOT work depending on video card, video driver, etc. But that IS the fix.I've got the same problem. But I chose to run Vista. You will either have to run the sim in full screen or go back to XP.HTH,Mike T.

Chuck: Nice OC on that E8500 on air! You just gotta love Intel's new crop of chips (and even better to come). They perform so well on just air.I can easily do a 1Ghz OC on air and my ZeroTherm keeps it 2c BELOW ambient room temp which I just can't yet come to terms with...below room temp on air HA! I throw on a cryo unit and easily go with over a 2Ghz OC..unfortunately FS9 can't deal with it :(. AMD has their work cut out for them, but so far nothing worth buying has come out of AMD in almost 2 years.