Sign in to follow this  
Guest rici

Pressurized High Performance Single

Guest rici

HiI just wondered if anyone could give a quick list of pressurized high performance GA piston singles?For example:Constant Speed PropRetractable GearPressurisedIFR and IceingTurbochargedetcI know of the Piper Malibu, and the Mooney Bravo.Anyone know of any others?CheersRichard

Cessna C-210T and Piper Seminole...DJ

>Cessna C-210T and Piper Seminole...>>DJNot Seminole, Malibu. And I think it's the only pressurized piston single still in production.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

I don't think he was arguing the fact that the Seminole exsists; just that it isn't a pressurized piston single?...;-)

Lancair IV-P is THE only one I can think of with cylindrical units ocsillating to make power that covers it.. EXPERIMENTAL :-) But IIRC Piper made a ???? LANCE?? that was also, mid 80s, w/ a pressurized vers. Maybe throw some special Mooneys in there too, possibly Rockwells too??? ( BIG IF ) Of all the above they have TURBO, but being pressurized is another story..OOOps memory kinda came back ------ THE CESSNA P 210N / R ????Ohhh and forget the Lance/Saratoga I / II / II-T / III / III-T unless it became a Malibu with a P suffix.There's also the Mooney M-22 '67-'70 .... very few. The Bravo is not pressurized, unless a new model is being cert'd. The Lancair is a definite YES though for all categories.RomanProud "TEAM AVSIM" RTW race member."WANTED----1968 MOONEY M-10 CADET" plz respond

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Yup, my bad! Yesterday was a long day... what I really had in mind was the Saratoga II TC - but I can't find any source that says whether it is, or isn't, pressurized.DJ

Guest DreamFleet

Interesting thread as to the answers when it comes to pressurized piston singles. Yes, no doubt that some "look" like they are pressurized, such as some Mooneys and the Piper Saratoga, but...As to the Saratoga II TC, only a visit to the Piper web site will tell you if it is pressurized or not (the plane is still built today), and with any knowledge of the PA32 line it should go without saying these these are not, nor will they ever be pressurized aircraft. Heck, the latest Saratoga II TC has a useful load that makes it look more like a Cessna 172 as to load carrying ability. If it were pressurized it would look as bad, if not worse then the new Mooney Acclaim, which can hardly carry anything with all options and full fuel!Piper Seminole? It's just a PA28 airframe with two engines. If ya' can't pressurize a PA32, that ain't gonna happen either.Piper tried to pressurize the Aztec, and that did not work.They did pressurize the Navajo (also known as the Mojave), but that plane is only for those who love to waste money.A turbocharged engine does not, of course, mean the plane has a pressurized cabin. As to certificated aircraft there are ONLY three, and only two that count as to sales volume:1. Cessna Pressurized 210 Centurion. This was the first pressurized piston single to sell in any meaningful sales volume.2. Piper Malibu / Mirage (basically the same plane, but different engines between the two). This is the only one that exists today as to a certificated aircraft with a single piston engine and pressurization. After these two:3. Mooney M22 Mustang, of which only 15 were built and only a few, if any, are flying today at best. However, this plane was the first pressurized piston single (1968).The Lancair IVP is is kit built / experimental, but it is pressurized.Finally, let me add this:To go high / fast in a single engine piston aircraft you do not need a pressurized cabin, what you need is a turbocharged engine and a source of oxygen for the pilot and passengers, and this is often readily available in most turbocharged singles (Saratoga, Mooney, Cessna 210, etc.), which often have a built-in oxygen system with masks for all on board. We just got done testing and servicing the oxygen tanks on our 1980 Cessna 210 turbo (must be done every 5 years). That plane has a service ceiling of 27,000' and will do 197 kts up there. In fact, for many years the world altitude record for aircraft in its category was held by an earlier model Cessna 210 turbo, which made it to 43,699'.http://www.cableairport.com/history/hwalter.htmCurrently the fastest light single engine piston aircraft (Mooney Acclaim and Cessna 400) do not have pressurized cabins, but they do have turbocharged engines. Yes, they go high and fast, but you had better be wearing a mask to do that! ;)In the real world, going high and fast in any of these single engine turbocharged / pressurized planes on a frequent basis means wearing out the engine prematurely, and that means $$$$$.They are best flown in the "mid-teens" (say, 15,000') and then at somewhat conservative power settings. Go up to 25,000' and at higher power settings all the time and you are asking for premature engine trouble.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Thanks, Lou - great info... :7 DJ