Sign in to follow this  
Misha_K

Two SoCal Problems

Hi guys, I have three small problems when flying around Southern California in FS9 as of late.1. Framerate is a slideshow in LA Basin. I don't know what is causing it, but as of recently, whenever I fly anywhere around LA, I have framerates of 7-12fps. Weather and aircraft don't seem to matter and the framerate is equally low at LAX as it is away from it. I have a DuoCore with 2GB RAM and have fps in the 25-60 range elsewhere. Addons installed: Cloud9 LAX, freeware In-and-Out, Shez's KSNA, KONT KPSP, and KBUR, FSGenesis freeware mesh, lots of custom AI (WOAI, MAIW, etc.). If I move away from LA, e.g. to San Diego, everything is fine again. It's just in the entire LA Basin that this happens.2. I have a stray floating gate at Shez's KSNA. See pic:http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/390/knsaproblemps9.jpgI have since fixed the sunken AI aircraft problem, but still have the stray gate. The gate doesn't even seem to belong to this scenery at all. It's of a completely different design.Thanks in advance. Mishahttp://www.commerciallevel.com/base/suppor...46supporter.jpg

I have the same issue. I think its just LAX. I have used several versions including default, and I could never get good frames when LAX is in view. The detail and the AI slam the system hard... period. It's the same at JFK, EWR, ORD, DFW, LHR, ATL, etc... just a part of FS life.

Guest avrovulcan

Hi, MishaRef the frame rate issue, beleive it or not, thinnk that this is down to the fact that FS9 was never designed ir optimised for Dual or Quad-core machines. I run FS9 on a dual-core laptop with 2GB of RAM, and although my frame rates are not as slow as yours i still not a distint frame rate slow down.I assume from your text that you arn't running any photo scenery such as mega scenery, however the problem here is one of a trade off on the Display settings. If you have the Autogen full up this WILL make a marked diffrence in frame rates when approaching Detialed citys such as LA. what you might need to do is turn the Autogen density down slightly to acheive a compromise.This is somthing i had to do with FSX on my Quad core 4 GB power system.I pretty shure that the problem is down to the shear amount of autogen and dynamic scenery.Also do you have the addon scenery in the addon scenery folder???or is it on second hard drive or in another folder? as this can somtimes make a diffrence.As for the floating jetway, you could download AFCAD221 and use this to browse to the folder where the KSNA addon is and see if the mystry jetway appears.What i would do if you havent allredy done it is Disable or remove the addon KSNA scenery and see if it appears with the default sceneryactive.??I think about this one some more and get back to you if any ideas pop upregardsAndy

>Ref the frame rate issue, beleive it or not, thinnk that this>is down to the fact that FS9 was never designed ir optimised>for Dual or Quad-core machines. I run FS9 on a dual-core>laptop with 2GB of RAM, and although my frame rates are not as>slow as yours i still not a distint frame rate slow down.Why only in LA, though? I have no framerate problems elsewhere. >I assume from your text that you arn't running any photo>scenery such as mega scenery, however the problem here is one>of a trade off on the Display settings. If you have the>Autogen full up this WILL make a marked diffrence in frame>rates when approaching Detialed citys such as LA. what you>might need to do is turn the Autogen density down slightly to>acheive a compromise.Again. It's only in LA, not NY, not London, etc. >Also do you have the addon scenery in the addon scenery>folder???>or is it on second hard drive or in another folder? as this>can somtimes make a diffrence.I have Shez's sceneries on a different hard drive. Will check out if it makes any difference putting it back on the same HD as FS9. >As for the floating jetway, you could download AFCAD221 and>use this to browse to the folder where the KSNA addon is and>see if the mystry jetway appears.I have AFCAD. How would AFCAD show random scenery objects?Thanks.http://www.commerciallevel.com/base/suppor...46supporter.jpg

Guest avrovulcan

Hi thereThe jetway isn't randomly generated, all airport files are just like, normal scenery BGL files i.e somthing is telling FS9 to put a jetway in the sky. What i suspect is ther is a conflict, that is to say more than one airport is trying to be generated. the default airports are normally switched off useing the Exclude function within the scenery config file. look for KSNA in your scenery config file and see if there is any Exclude line. As for the LA frame rate issue, it looks like you may have a conflict somwhere. Did you have this problem before you installed and addon scenery. if so what i would do is disable it and see if it improves the frame rate. check to see if you have multiple installs of and addon scenery for the same aera.I suspect that this is unlikley.KLAX is one of the more detialed airports (even the default airport)and like i said, i also see a slight frame rate drop when flying over this aera.As FS9 is not optermised for Dual or Quad core processors, you could try running FS9 in XP compatability mode.Beleive it or not my dual core system is in fact slower than my old 3.6GHz P4 system when using FS9, even though tecnically the dual core is faster. The way the dual core system handles the program is not the same as an old P4 system, end even i have noticed a few other quirks with FS9 and a dual core Vista system.Andy

Misha,Could you give us your full hardware specs including OS? I have a quad core and I have no problems whatsoever in the LA Basin (with all the same addons). I think Andy is right in that you have a conflict somewhere that is dragging performance down. Maybe we can help you diagnose with a little more info.Joshua

OK, after a bit of experimentation it turns out thus:1. The framerate problem seems to be entirely caused by AI. Without AI, I get 55-75fps in the area. I guess I never experienced such a hit just due to AI anywhere else I fly. Strange.2. The stray gate is caused by Shez's KHOU scenery. It's gone if I deactivate that. I have emailed him about the problem and await his response. http://www.commerciallevel.com/base/suppor...46supporter.jpg

I replied to you by email.This is eliminated by deleting the file HOUr.bgl. This file crept into the final version somehow and I could not figure out what it contained. Now I know. It appears to be useless to the main scenery.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Might be worth checking your AI textures for flights operating out of LAX - some are supplied with 32-bit textures which will slow things up, especially if LAX is a hub for a particular airline which may have these. You can convert them to DXT3 either using a batch converter, or using a program like DXTBmp.Regarding framerates: my experience is that I run FS9 on a desktop and a laptop (both XP), both of which are roughly the same spec - except the laptop is dual-core, and the rates are noticeably better on it.;)

>Might be worth checking your AI textures for flights>operating out of LAX - some are supplied with 32-bit textures>which will slow things up, especially if LAX is a hub for a>particular airline which may have these. You can convert them>to DXT3 either using a batch converter, or using a program>like DXTBmp.>>Regarding framerates: my experience is that I run FS9 on a>desktop and a laptop (both XP), both of which are roughly the>same spec - except the laptop is dual-core, and the rates are>noticeably better on it.>>;)Thanks for the reminder. I do usually take care to use only DXT3 textures. But I did do a lot of AI reinstalling recently, so I really should do a batch conversion. http://www.commerciallevel.com/base/suppor...46supporter.jpg