Sign in to follow this  
Sidney Schwartz

Question for Ultimate Terrain users

As someone who uses UT for FS9 and ocassionally designs scenery, I'd be interested in knowing if you folks have your "Enhance Roads (except for residential)" checked or unchecked.Thanks in advance for your feedback.Sidney Schwartz KPDX

Checked in both Can/Ak & USA. UT is a remarkable enhancement with triple views and a 48" perspective.Alex ReidAMD XP2200 GeForce FX5200 GPUs

>Checked! And ,Why not?I knew someone would ask that. :D I do both IFR and VFR flying. When flying VFR I like to be able to get where I'm going using real charts. My main reason for using UT is that the roads and rivers much more closely match what you see on the charts, which I think is very cool. The problem, though, is that when I have enhance roads checked, I find it very difficult to distinguish visually between primary roads, which show on the charts, from secondary roads, which usually don't show on the charts. So I'll be looking for a particular road that forks off to the north and it's very hard to pick it out from all the minor roads. There seems to be very little difference in UT in the width and texture of the two different types of roads. So while it's more probably more realistic to have all the roads showing, I've turned off enhance roads in UT so I can more easily find and follow the roads that are likely to be shown on the charts.I've never tried twiddling things with the UT texture configurator. Maybe that would help make the two types of roads more visually distinct from each other.Sidney Schwartz KPDX

Sidney- we are on the same freq. when you mention, 'follow the roads in VFR'. One of the very real VFR enhancements is multiple views. The wide perspective makes sorting out landmarks SOOO much easier. I thought you might be interested in this old Screenie- the right view shows some of a freeway not discernable in main view. This highway turns around the end of the approach and you can see some lighting traces of it in left view. Main view shows a secondary street to the left of the runway approach. But without the three views, VFR is a bit dicey in these conditions.VFR through the Rocky Mountains is pretty interesting!Alex ReidATR 72 on final CYYJ R27 Dusk/Gray and raineyhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190253.jpgDreamFleet Baron 58 Stewart BC Approachhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190254.jpg

Checked. Alex: have you scoped out UT/Europe yet? It's even "better" . . .

Chuck- no, haven't tried UT/Europe. But I do have the Ground Environment CD on order- should be here to try out next week. I'm told it complements UT quite nicely.Alex Reid

I guess this would be a bad time to tell you that I uninstalled Ground Environment last month and haven't missed it one bit, huh?

Chuck- no problem, my friend- I used your credit card # for the purchase!!!!:)Alex Reid

I don't see how that's at all possible, Alex -- I've just maxed it out at with my new build and it would have been declined! :-lol